US 3 people dead, over 280 injured from explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Two explosions at Boston marathon finish line

From the Associated Press
April 15, 2013, 12:38 p.m.

BOSTON — Two explosions shattered the finish of the Boston Marathon on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the smoking site.

Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

“There are a lot of people down,” said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...marathon-finish-line-20130415,0,5849240.story

I honestly think this deserves a separate thread. It's officially considered a terrorist attack.

This is so awful. It was all that was on the TV channels I usually watch and I had to find something else as I just couldn't take anymore. They kept showing the same footage over and over and over. :(

I hear ya. I had to do the same thing, finding something on a channel that wasn't covering the tragedy. I've got it on right now. Even so, all I can think about are those poor people affected by the bombings. :(

I only live a little over an hour from Boston, and there is an airport in my city. Things around here could get very interesting, in a negative way. I just hoped this attack wasn't intended to divert resources while something much worse was planned...

From what I've seen so far, authorities have been scouring every inch of Boston looking for more bombs, and finding some, but so far it seems like it's confined to the Boston area.

Everyone in the Orlando area is on high alert. With all the attractions and large gatherings of people in this area, lots of extra security precautions are in place. They said on the news for everyone to be watchful and careful.

I had said this earlier in the other news section, I think its sad that people would say such things about this tragic event.

Yes I have so called Christians on my facebook saying America turn back to God we are in the end times, oh my Gosh where is the mercy and Compassion and prayers from these Bible thumpers?

Anyhow London released a statement that they will take measures and get handle on their security for them with the wake of Boston.

Some of my thoughts on the issue:
1) This is very sad.
2) I wonder who is behind it. A "security expert" interviewed on the radio this morning had some thoughts along the line of "there were multiple bombs, which indicates multiple terrorists, which (somehow) makes it less likely to be home-grown and more likely to be Al-Qaeda".

2) I wonder who is behind it. A "security expert" interviewed on the radio this morning had some thoughts along the line of "there were multiple bombs, which indicates multiple terrorists, which (somehow) makes it less likely to be home-grown and more likely to be Al-Qaeda".

:hmm:
I'm sorry, but that sounds pretty ridiculous to me. People are always so quick to point fingers at the Middle East, IMHO.

Maybe it's both. Domestic terrorists in collusion with foreign terrorists.

Or have I been watching too much television? :p

At this point I'm actually kind of angry about it. Not just because of the explosions themselves but because security was obviously lax. Why wasn't this kind of thing anticipated? Why wasn't there a security sweep BEFORE the marathon got underway?

Was this something that could have been anticipated?

Yes. A large public event with lots of people coming from all over the world, in a compacted downtown area where all those people are clustered together, which makes for maximum damage.

It didn't look like a very big explosion really. Perhaps the bomb was in a bag......you can't really stop this kind of thing without having a complete lock down in security.

Is it an Annual thing?
If so why this year, why not last year, or next year. How many other mass events take place in America throughout the year.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Im not trying to be harsh just pointing out that its not something that can be predicted IMO

It's crossed my mind that marathons would be a perfect target for this kind of thing at races, but brushed it off because the whole thing is such an incredible celebration. I didn't think anyone would actually do that.

I don't think a marathon has ever been attacked like this, I don't know how or why they would have improved security.