7 dead, including suspect, at Wisconsin Sikh Temple

^ No ****. I seriously doubt MLP was implying it would be any better for gunning people down for being Muslim. MLP was saying this stupid redneck probably couldn't tell the difference. People I work with sure couldn't when the story came on tv. I had to explain to them what the difference between a Muslim and a Sikh was, and someone still said "All them towelheads look alike to me. If they'd stay outta our damn country they wouldn't get shot at." I seriously think some of you underestimate the rampant, prideful ignorance of certain areas of the "greatest nation on Earth."

No I don't underestimate it. That's why I don't live "in certain areas of the US" :)

And I still think you shouldn't either....

So anyways, a mosque was burnt down today in Missouri. For the second time in five weeks. This time it's destroyed, dunno if it's arson yet, but the previous attempt was.

It's almost as if the Sikh shooting reminded them that they needed to finish the job.

Dang, I hate these bigotted violent morons.

No mention of world religions, much less it being compulsory. In fact, no world history even after eighth grade - just American history in high school.

No mention of world religions, much less it being compulsory.
Same here, but then again I had seventeen years of Catholic school (counting kindergarten). Basically we were taught that there is only one religion that counts anyway, so why teach us about all those dreadful heathens who aren't going to heaven with us?

That's really sad. I learnt a lot about other religions and history of ethics in school. Now I'm a non-religious natural scientist and happy to work in an international team with people of different belief and different origin.

Has anyone noticed that this shooting is not receiving anything close to the coverage the theater shooting did?

Has anyone noticed that this shooting is not receiving anything close to the coverage the theater shooting did?

these are the reasons why I think this is so -

- so far, the Aurora shooting represented the highest number of injuries (but not deaths) in a mass shooting, so it got a lot of special attention for that
- this shooting has an easy explanation and seems less random - hate crime - so people don't feel the same need to keep speculating about it
- fatigue or boredom for the public in talking about mass shootings - we just had one; and for others, avoidance in talking about mass shootings because it begs that pesky gun control issue. I think for many people though these 2 events are absolutely separate things - if you assume (without evidence) that this guy would have just used a bomb or another weapon of mass destruction if he couldn't get his hands on a gun, then it just goes in the category of "mass violence that will never be stopped" and there's really not that much to talk about or do about it, and they just had this discussion with the Aurora shootings
- possibly racism or religious bias - people tend to get more excited (and scared) when something bad happens to someone whom they perceive as more like them

there was also a mosque bombing today in Missouri.

people are much more scared about a shooting at a public place where everyone goes i think more so than just the religious thing. i think it deeply shakes the psyche when it happens someplace where anyone can be a victim. similar to why Israel retaliates so strongly when public buses get bombed.

Yeah, the random nature of it would make people take notice... you don't need to worry so much about it happening to you if it's just people bombing a mosque and you don't happen to visit mosques.

I never learned about religions (in general) in school either. Primary school taught us some flavour of christianity that I grew out of as soon as I began to realize adults aren't necessarily right, and my highschool had religion occasionally pop up in history lessons when it had been relevant to what was going on in that period, but otherwise nothing. I did read something about sikhism in a random book in the school library once, but I forget most of it now, except I think they have to wear turbans and are supposed to be generally peaceful.