Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
It is interesting to see how the mainstream news has more and more references to veganism or plant based eating. The first article is mostly about the environment and I found the information, at the end, regarding lettuce to be relevant for me.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/food-climate-change-carbon-footprint-1.4930062

The second article is about how the price of vegetables may be rising and the price of meat is falling due to increased demand for veggies and decrease demand for meat/dairy/eggs - yaayyyy!!!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-food-price-report-2019-1.4930130

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and mavrick45
It is interesting to see how the mainstream news has more and more references to veganism or plant based eating.
Emma JC

I've noticed the same thing. Some of my perspectives is skewed because my news feed has "learned" that I like this kind of stuff so it shows it to me. but of course, the Mainstream News still has to cover it first.

Of course, any good vegan knows all this stuff already. But it is Really Good to see the message might be getting out to the rest of the public.

I also give some kudos for that infographic the author choose to use. Although I wonder if KG of food and miles of driving is the "fairest" metric. I think calories might have been better. but it definitely was clear and easy to understand. Eat Less Beef. Eat More Lentils.

This is both a good thing and a bad thing

I know what you mean. but it's not as much of a bad thing as you might think. When eggs and dairy demand go down the farmers reduce the size of their herd or flock. This might result in more animals being killed but it definitely means fewer animals purchased or "produced" the next year. Unfortunately, it also means that as prices go down the farmer needs more animals to make just as much money.

This can be a big problem for the farmer. Cutting costs can only go so far. Eventually, if this trend continues it becomes likely that they just stop raising livestock. Here in California, a big trend is to sell the ranch to a developer. but some dairy are bulldozing the dairy and planting almond trees.

I know what you mean. but it's not as much of a bad thing as you might think. When eggs and dairy demand go down the farmers reduce the size of their herd or flock. This might result in more animals being killed but it definitely means fewer animals purchased or "produced" the next year. Unfortunately, it also means that as prices go down the farmer needs more animals to make just as much money.

This can be a big problem for the farmer. Cutting costs can only go so far. Eventually, if this trend continues it becomes likely that they just stop raising livestock. Here in California, a big trend is to sell the ranch to a developer. but some dairy are bulldozing the dairy and planting almond trees.
I was referring to the price of veggies going up...