12 killed, 50 wounded at Aurora movie theater

How absolutely terrible.

Not to take away from the main story, but I read that one of the injured was a four month-old baby. I guess parents take babies to movies to get them to fall asleep, but a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises?

Not to take away from the main story, but I read that one of the injured was a four month-old baby. I guess parents take babies to movies to get them to fall asleep, but a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises?

I thought that seemed strange too.

I don't know how a loud movie theater could get any 3-4 month old baby I've ever met to fall asleep. Really shouldn't have been there..

As for the incident it's self, horrible. You're not really safe anywhere anymore.

In the old days, we just took them out for a drive.
Coincidently, we took our 4-month old to see the 1989 Batman in the theater. Not the midnight show, though. At that age, she wasn't crawling yet, and she was quiet, it was fun.

About the incident, this kind of thing seems to hit you in the gut hearing about it. And only 15 miles from Columbine*, it will bring back so many horrible memories. :(

*site of high school massacre of 13 in 1999.

I was so worried about my cousin when I saw the article, it just said "US shooting at Batman Premiere" and I had to scan it to see which state. His fb said that he was at a Batman premiere last night. But not in Denver though.

Coincidently, we took our 4-month old to see the 1989 Batman in the theater. Not the midnight show, though. At that age, she wasn't crawling yet, and she was quiet, it was fun.
About the incident, this kind of thing seems to hit you in the gut hearing about it. And only 15 miles from Columbine*, it will bring back so many horrible memories. :(.

I remember seeing the 1989 Batman at the movie theatre too. I was pretty bored by it, I think I was about 12 and was with some other kids from my junior high.

It just figures that people would criticize the parents of a four-month-old who was injured rather than focus on some other aspect of the news story.

Parents of a four-month-old are hardly getting any sleep whatsoever and at four months you're unlikely to want to leave your child with anyone else so taking your child of four months old to a movie at midnight is really not a big deal. Plenty of babies will do just fine at four months old in a theater like that.

When they're a little bit older then it's a bigger deal. The older babies maybe around 9 or 10 months and certainly at 1-year-old can be much more aware of their surroundings, vision has improved well enough that they can understand whats on a movie screen, they can be more affected by the violence in the film, and theyre more likely on a regular sleep schedule ... So to keep them up at midnight in a theater would be a bad idea. Same goes for older toddlers.

But at 4 months the main thing is you just keep the baby with you and make sure you meet his or her needs. Lots of babies would like the stimulation of a movie for a while then get bored and fall asleep. My nephew was like that. My son, not so much. My son was more likely to stay awake the whole time. But I still managed to take him to a few movies when he was teeny. I just sat near the aisle and if he fussed I'd just get up and leave and do something else.

Elaine - I don't know if you were referring to me but I wasn't being critical of the parents of the baby that was hurt but I was just surprised that people would bring their baby to a cinema to watch that type of film at that time of night.

jessicadenver_2282959b.jpg

Jessica Ghawi. :( So far she's the only victim who has been named in the news.