Your Rules

spottygiraffe

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the board and new to veganism so I'm still trying to work out what I find acceptable, what I don't and what I would do in certain situations. I'm interested to hear about everyone else's 'rules' -for example whether they would eat foods that 'may contain traces of milk' etc.

I also have two big dilemmas and would love your opinion on the following:

1. I have horses and all my tack is made of leather. I'd like to keep using it because it is soft and comfortable for the horses, plus it would cost me a fortune to replace it, but is that really hypocritical?

2. You will think this is a really strange one, but what would be the reasons for me not to eat eggs from my own chickens? I have stopped eating them while I decide whether or not I want to but I need your help in deciding. I hatched the hens myself, from eggs that came from my friend's chickens. They are from several generations of organic, free-range chucks and the cockerels are all alive and well (not turnd into coq au vin!). They have a very happy life and there's no denying it would be useful if I could sometimes use eggs as an ingredient in baking, but if there are any ethical issues then I would also happily not eat them again. Thoughts please!:chickens:

Thanks in advance

Sarah

I personally think "may contain traces ..." of dairy or eggs are fine, since it's not an intentional part of the product, and the amount would be minuscule. Same as if you cooked your food on a pan in your parents' kitchen etc.

Reactions: Amy SF
I personally think "may contain traces ..." of dairy or eggs are fine, since it's not an intentional part of the product, and the amount would be minuscule. Same as if you cooked your food on a pan in your parents' kitchen etc.
I agree with this. I think many companies put that disclaimer on their products in the even someone is severely allergic. Trace amounts could be dangerous for some people. If the ingredient happens to be listed among the actual ingredients for the product, I would avoid those, as in the case of "contains less than 2% of the following:" type of listings.

Re: the eggs: I would not eat them, personally. My philosophy is that eating them would still fall under the commodification/exploitation of animals, regardless of their living situation, and I try to avoid that.

With regard to things you already own pre-vegan, that's up to whatever you feel comfortable doing. Everyone is different. I don't like wasting things, but I really couldn't wear/use leather. I donated purses, a bomber jacket and several belts. I kept shoes until I wore them out and could replace them with vegan ones. I still have a pair of clogs that I wear because they are still good. I couldn't really afford to replace all of my shoes en masse. Comfortable vegan shoes can be pricey, depending on what you are getting. I also still wear a wool sweater or two, because they were made by my mom and I don't have the heart to get rid of them.

Personally, I'm totally fine with 'may contain traces' - if there's no animal products in the ingredients, I'm not fussy as to what machinery it was made on. It's hard enough to find vegan food sometimes :p

I also continued to use a number of non-vegan products bought before I made the switch - I used up the rest of my toothpaste and shampoo, for example, and wore my trainers with the leather uppers until they fell apart. As far as I'm concerned, the minute I stopped financially supporting animal cruelty is the minute I became a vegan. Some vegans disagree.

I think everyone just has to find out what they're comfortable with and what's practical for them :)

Welcome. And your rules are your own and what works for you.

The may contain traces is only the manufacturer of a product acknowledging that equipment is used to make more than one product and although cleaned between, there still could be a bit amount of something in there someone doesn't want. This could also mean nuts and could be important if someone has a severe allergy to nuts or other products.

I certainly would not get rid of any of your leather horse equipment. If you need to purchase new items in the future you can look into vegan options or buying used products. I don't think keeping the tack is hypocritical. I still have a pair of leather shoes over 15 years old.

The chickens again are your choice as to what you do with the eggs. Chickens are such wonderful pets and I wish I could have some of my own. I'm certainly not a chicken expert and I think some would ask what happens to the males.

You may find some people judging you on choices. For example, I have 2 meat eating cats. But what would I do without my cats. They're my sanity (and insanity at times :) ) But I won't let anyone vegan or not, tell me I can't have them. I do however greatly respect people who state they would not have a pet who needs to eat meat.

Thanks very much for your replies, everyone.

That's what I was thinking and that is a huge relief because almost everything seems to have traces of dairy.

I don't like wasting things
No, me neither. I hate throwing anything away -another good reason to have chickens because they eat food scraps!

Comfortable vegan shoes can be pricey
I just bought my first pair and they really make my feet sweat. Maybe I needed to buy more expensive ones.

I also continued to use a number of non-vegan products bought before I made the switch - I used up the rest of my toothpaste and shampoo
That's what I'm doing. I'll replace everything as they run out which will spread the cost out too.

You may find some people judging you on choices.

I've got so much to learn still -it had never occurred to me not to buy wool (so obvious now) or feed my cats meat! I've got 8 rescue cats and I would be quite upset if anyone judged me for feeding them meat. But I guess everyone has their own levels of what they think is acceptable and I will bear that in mind as I embark on this adventure. I'm still undecided about the eggs -it is a really tricky one for me. As for the tack, I have had it for years and it was custom fitted to my horses, so I think I'll keep using it for now at least. Mind you, I'm starting to go in the direction where I'm wondering if I should be riding them at all........ But I guess that is another whole can of worms!

Thanks again for your input. I am still finding out about the whole picture of what being a vegan entails and I do really appreciate your thoughts and advice.

You have to make your own choices. Being vegan is about avoiding animal products if you can.

Some will interpret that as avoiding even medicines that were tested on animals, or vaccines developed using eggs.

Others will have a looser interpretation.

Personally, the tack is already bought. Animals have already died for it. Going out and replacing it isn't going to save any animals, but it will contribute to more consumption. I'd say keep using it, but in the future, try to find vegan alternatives, or else (at least) buy used in order to not contribute to the demand for new non-vegan items.

1. I have horses and all my tack is made of leather. I'd like to keep using it because it is soft and comfortable for the horses, plus it would cost me a fortune to replace it, but is that really hypocritical?

Unless you switch to keeping synthetic horses then would not switching to synthetic tack actualy be the hypocracy?

Last edited:
2. You will think this is a really strange one, but what would be the reasons for me not to eat eggs from my own chickens?

Eggs are a natural product of keeping chickens.

As chickens have a finite lifespan dead chickens are a equaly a natural product of keeping chickens too.

The answer to what is wrong with eating either natural product of chicken keeping must therefore be exactly the same?

Hello Spotty!

Personally, I would use the tack you have until it is worn out and then replace with non-leather items. Being vegan doesn't require a complete clean-out of everything you own. Few of us could ever manage that! But, as you move forward along this path, you can now choose to buy animal-free and cruelty-free products.

I understand that you have a source of completely cruelty-free eggs. Good for you - and certainly good for the chickens! The problem with eating eggs, however, is that it continues the myth that somehow we humans need an animal product to either thrive or survive. If we don't promote egg-free baking and egg-free cooking, eggs will continue to be a staple. :( But what a great ambassador you can be! You, someone who has a source of cruelty-free eggs, can choose to not eat them, give them back to the chickens, and show people how easy it is to be a healthy and happy vegan without eggs!

I agree with everything else, I been trying to transit for for 3 years now and I had things going into my way and change of life, Hopefully in 2014 will be better year for me , just try to use the non vegan stuff up and when you locate vegan items later down the road then you can purchase.

This is great -lots of food for thought (literally!).

The problem with eating eggs, however, is that it continues the myth that somehow we humans need an animal product to either thrive or survive. If we don't promote egg-free baking and egg-free cooking, eggs will continue to be a staple. But what a great ambassador you can be! You, someone who has a source of cruelty-free eggs, can choose to not eat them, give them back to the chickens, and show people how easy it is to be a healthy and happy vegan without eggs!
That's a very interesting way of looking at it. I made an egg-free carrot cake the other day that would have convinced anyone. It was the best carrot cake I've ever made. I never thought of giving the eggs back to the chickens -brilliant! I'm going to Google it to make sure it's ok for them. My children still eat eggs too, so nothing will go to waste.

Glad everyone seems to agree that it's ok to use stuff up until I can replace it with more ethical versions.

Thank you everyone

I agree that everybody has their own rules/lines drawn, so figure out what you feel is best in your own time :)

I'm new to the board and new to veganism so I'm still trying to work out what I find acceptable, what I don't and what I would do in certain situations. I'm interested to hear about everyone else's 'rules' -for example whether they would eat foods that 'may contain traces of milk' etc.

As most people have said, "may contain..." is about equipment in a factory for people with allergies: this is fine by me. If there's a non-vegan ingredient, I don't eat it, but if it's just cross contamination I'm fine with that.

I used up all my old non-vegan things, until they wore out, and then replaced them with vegan things. I still have a skirt with wool in it for that reason. So that's what I would do, and if you couldn't find a suitable vegan replacement, perhaps look into buying second hand.

2. You will think this is a really strange one, but what would be the reasons for me not to eat eggs from my own chickens? I have stopped eating them while I decide whether or not I want to but I need your help in deciding. I hatched the hens myself, from eggs that came from my friend's chickens. They are from several generations of organic, free-range chucks and the cockerels are all alive and well (not turnd into coq au vin!). They have a very happy life and there's no denying it would be useful if I could sometimes use eggs as an ingredient in baking, but if there are any ethical issues then I would also happily not eat them again. Thoughts please!

I don't think it's strange! Personally I wouldn't have a problem with eating the eggs. The problem for me is buying eggs from a breeder, because of the male chicks which are often killed at birth or sold to the meat industry (because male chicks don't lay eggs), and because I don't agree with making profit from breeding domestic animals. So if I had the chicken, I would be happy to eat the eggs, but not buy a chicken again. But there are other, perhaps better, options, such as giving the eggs away to people who would otherwise buy them, or feeding them to animals.

:)

Hello Spotty!

Personally, I would use the tack you have until it is worn out and then replace with non-leather items. Being vegan doesn't require a complete clean-out of everything you own. Few of us could ever manage that! But, as you move forward along this path, you can now choose to buy animal-free and cruelty-free products.

I understand that you have a source of completely cruelty-free eggs. Good for you - and certainly good for the chickens! The problem with eating eggs, however, is that it continues the myth that somehow we humans need an animal product to either thrive or survive. If we don't promote egg-free baking and egg-free cooking, eggs will continue to be a staple. :( But what a great ambassador you can be! You, someone who has a source of cruelty-free eggs, can choose to not eat them, give them back to the chickens, and show people how easy it is to be a healthy and happy vegan without eggs!

I agree.

I kept some leather boots for a while as I transitioned and then replaced them when I could afford to. I wouldn't eat eggs even if I had rescue chickens as the thought of eating eggs makes me feel ill anyway and vegans don't eat eggs so it wouldn't be vegan as it is an animal product. The traces are usually put on product labels because of risk of allergy so I would fine with eating products with that label.

As far as it would be ethical to eat eggs from pet chickens I can't really see the issue if you wanted to eat them but I would personally probably either try and feed them back to the chickens themselves for nutrients, or feed them to companion animals or give them free to a non-vegan person so they wouldn't buy shop bought eggs.

feed them to companion animals
Another great idea -my dogs would love them.
the thought of eating eggs makes me feel ill
I'm going that way actually -I cooked one for my son this morning and it made me feel a bit queasy. I could definitely still eat them in a cake though, but I don't think I'm going to. It's weird but now I've got so far into it I don't want to 'pollute' my body with anything animal.

Reactions: thefadedone
I like the idea of giving the eggs to people who willingly eat eggs so they wouldn't buy factory-farmed unethical eggs. Veganism is about the less contribution to animal suffering, the better.

I didn't read everything, but I wanted to chime in on the eggs. My parents have chickens and feeding the eggs back them is extremely healthy for them!!! And the chickens love them! Much better than humans taking them for theirselves. :)

I also agree - use your leather products, and just replace them with vegan alternatives when needed.

Another great idea -my dogs would love them.

I'm going that way actually -I cooked one for my son this morning and it made me feel a bit queasy. I could definitely still eat them in a cake though, but I don't think I'm going to. It's weird but now I've got so far into it I don't want to 'pollute' my body with anything animal.
Not to hijack the thread or freak anyone out, but when a young woman says eggs make her nauseous in the morning, I wonder if she may want to take a pregnancy test....