Why do some vegans succeed and others fail?

You can find tofu and almond milk in Arkansas and South Dakota all the time?
Probably. This is 2024. And if not, doesn't Amazon deliver? Or Thrive.

You could always just buy a nut milk maker and buy nuts and make your own almond milk. And if you make soy milk you can make tofu. Sure that is extra trouble but not only will you save money but you will also not have to move to Oregon or South Carolina. Although if I lived in Arkansas or SD I would want to move anyway.
The only reason I would ever live in a red state is if I believed my vote could make a difference there. Like it might in Ohio or Georgia.

You could always just buy a nut milk maker and buy nuts and make your own almond milk. And if you make soy milk you can make tofu. Sure that is extra trouble but not only will you save money but you will also not have to move to Oregon or South Carolina. Although if I lived in Arkansas or SD I would want to move anyway.
The only reason I would ever live in a red state is if I believed my vote could make a difference there. Like it might in Ohio or Georgia.
Some parts of the country can be very rural. Just two years ago, I drove through central PA on my way to Pittsburgh, and I can say with a high degree of confidence that there wasn't a single block of tofu for 500 miles. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Lou
It’s surprising you can’t find tofu in pa, you can definitely find it in Mississippi. that and non dairy milks, meat alternatives. They have a Whole Foods but it’s very tiny. I mostly just do pick up orders from Kroger. The only thing that sucks is their lack of vegan options in restaurants. I am beyond tired of veggie burgers and nuggets by now lol

Reactions: Lou
It isn't just what's available in stores, but the food deserts in so many places--urban and rural--where produce is very limited, and many are limited in access to stores. Lack of transportation, lack of income, small convenience stores that are overpriced, and fast food on every corner

If there were more restrictions on processed foods of all kinds, as well as eliminating factory farming, people would be better off whether they were vegan or omni

Yeah if they're privileged enough :laughing: . That comment really defines why people think veganism is for the elite!

Really though, beans and rice are abundant, and as I always say, do your best! Not everyone needs to be strictly vegan to make a difference

Reactions: VeganRachel
It isn't just what's available in stores, but the food deserts in so many places--urban and rural--where produce is very limited, and many are limited in access to stores. Lack of transportation, lack of income, small convenience stores that are overpriced, and fast food on every corner

If there were more restrictions on processed foods of all kinds, as well as eliminating factory farming, people would be better off whether they were vegan or omni
This is the case in some of CT's bigger cities, Hartford especially.

Some parts of the country can be very rural. Just two years ago, I drove through central PA on my way to Pittsburgh, and I can say with a high degree of confidence that there wasn't a single block of tofu for 500 miles. :)
Driving thru could be an issue. but I don't think it is an insurmountable problem if you live there.
Maybe if you live in a very rural area you have to drive to a super market.
Back when I lived in a very rural area, we would go into town to the supermarket with a cooler in the back. go to the matinee, do some errands and hit the grocery store for two weeks of groceries.

and that was 40 years ago. I bet the people who live in rural areas today do a lot more stuff with Amazon.

I just read an article that it used to be that poor people hit the fast food places daily cause they were so cheap. but they aren't so cheap anymore. The poor are eating in more often. The same article said they were eating less meat, too.
Maybe the best thing inflation has brought us.

Beans & lentils could save the world! :master:

Aldi has great northern, pinto, black, green lentils, and split peas. Two pound bags under $3--and that's after they raised the price!
They also have Jasmine, long grain white and brown, and basmati rice. Quinoa, and other grains.
Canned tomatoes, cheap spices, all the veggies fresh and frozen. Bagged greens. Cheap spices. So many soups!
Corn and wheat tortillas, taco shells, fat free refried beans.. Enchiladas or tacos.
All kinds of pastas, including gluten free. Great pasta sauces.
Variety of veggie burgers under $4 a four pack
You can eat very very cheaply from Aldi

Last edited:
I'll pass... lol. good thing liking beans is not a requirement of being vegan. hey at least I like tofu. I like peanuts.. that's a legume. for real living on rice and beans would be depressing

Reactions: silva
I never make rice and beans... :shrug:
You don't even like beans made into dips?

I'll pass... lol. good thing liking beans is not a requirement of being vegan. hey at least I like tofu. I like peanuts.. that's a legume. for real living on rice and beans would be depressing
I feel the same way about mushrooms. They are often the one vegan option at restaurants, like a portobello burger. No, thank you, lol!

Reactions: Danielle
IMHO, there is too much emphasis on personal purity. Trying to be perfect drives people crazy. In school, 70% is passing. So a "passable" vegan only needs to eat vegan 2 out of 3 meals. :)
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I disagree strongly with the implication, or rather the use of the word "vegan"
If you are eating meat 1 meal in 3, sure, any reduction is positive, but being "vegan" is an philosophical decision based on morality. You don't get to be a "passable" husband only beating your wife 1 weekend in 3...

You can find tofu and almond milk in Arkansas and South Dakota all the time?

I see that many people have answered this since yesterday so I will keep it short....

You only chose 2 things on that whole list to say aren't available to you and those two things are least important, IMO.

I eat tofu maybe once a month, if that and although I do always have plant milk in the fridge I rarely use it. My honey does put it on cereal every 2 weeks or so and occasionally for baking but I mostly drink coffee, green tea, water, wine/club soda.

So a whole grocery store full on options really.

I love rice and beans.........

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: VeganRachel and Lou