White noise?

IamJen

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone use white noise to help them fall asleep/stay asleep? What do you use? I've been using a fan with the bean for awhile, but she has some congestion issues sometimes and the fan might be a contributing factor. Based on what I see during her naps though, I'm really convinced that the white noise is helpful in drowning out lots of outside noise.

My daughter uses an air purifier for Josh and Lydia...think I mentioned it in another thread around here somewhere. Works wonders with drowning out unwanted noise.

Does anyone use white noise to help them fall asleep/stay asleep? What do you use? I've been using a fan with the bean for awhile, but she has some congestion issues sometimes and the fan might be a contributing factor. Based on what I see during her naps though, I'm really convinced that the white noise is helpful in drowning out lots of outside noise.
Like this one, but mine is years old and going strong. I have worked overnights, and the rain or waterfall sounds cover up.outside noises. Best if it is in between the annoying sound and the sleeper, like in front of the window. :) http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OCK9S2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365892891096.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365892891096.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 155
I downloaded Soundscapes from ITunes to my iPhone. It's a medley of different nature sounds...gentle rain, waterfalls, bubbles, rainforest, etc. It's quite soothing.

I also use a noise generator on my iPhone to help sleep. Most nights I track my sleep with Sleep Cycle, which has a few sounds as a sleep aid. Other nights I want something different and I'll use Ambience. Probably not much help with the bean, though. :p

I bought a white noise machine and it sucked! I could hear the high pitch of the motor.

I have a white noise CD from www.purewhitenoise.com and it's great! I like the air conditioner CD. I used to use it at my house because of my noisy neighbors. I use it at my apartment now just for routine apartment noise because I sleep late. It's constant sound with a very low sound. I'm really sensitive to high pitches. I just use the base boost on my CD player.

In fact I have 3 of those CDs. I ordered 2 more as back up. That's how much I like the CD.

I am really impressed with my new Wellcare machine from Amazon. I used the rain sounds last night and I had a much better night's sleep. :)

Reactions: ledboots
I like the sound of a fan and usually run the fan on my AC unit. I also have "easy listening" music on the TV music channel. I cannot sleep in silence!

I keep my fan on in the summer when I have my windows open at night. I need something to drown out all the noise from outside during the night and in the early morning. It really grates on my nerves to hear the birds chirping at 4-5am during the summer. :mad:

The rest of the year when I don't have the windows open I need complete silence in order to sleep. It also has to be pitch dark.

I wonder if maybe an air purifier like KLS52 mentions would handle both issues at once- help with your daughter's congestion issues and provide some white noise?

I usually leave a radio on rather low- it stops my mind from racing. The wierd thing is, I sometimes have it tuned to a talk radio station at night, when a show called "Coast To Coast" is on- and this show doesn't have the sort of topics conducive to sleep. It tends to be heavy on paranormal topics, with a generous dash of conspiracy theories tossed in. I just don't take it seriously. But sometimes I have it tuned to a music station: classical, oldies, classic rock...

I wonder if maybe an air purifier like KLS52 mentions would handle both issues at once- help with your daughter's congestion issues and provide some white noise?

I usually leave a radio on rather low- it stops my mind from racing. The wierd thing is, I sometimes have it tuned to a talk radio station at night, when a show called "Coast To Coast" is on- and this show doesn't have the sort of topics conducive to sleep. It tends to be heavy on paranormal topics, with a generous dash of conspiracy theories tossed in. I just don't take it seriously. But sometimes I have it tuned to a music station: classical, oldies, classic rock...
I love that guy's voice on Coast to Coast! And he has the absolute best bumper music. He is so nice to even the most looney of callers! :p I have worked nights on and off, so have sure heard Coast to Coast and am on the alert for aliens and Big Foot. ;)

Oh great. I started listening to the Soundscapes that I downloaded to my phone, and now I think I've become dependent on it in order to sleep. I guess it's not the worst thing to be dependent on.