Which Food or Food Group is your main source of protein?

thisnthat

Forum Novice
Reaction score
I tend to choose beans frequently as a source of protein. Beans are not my favorite food, but I'm getting more used to them. They offer a good supply of both protein and fiber, so they're hard to beat, in my opinion. I wish they tasted better, but I am learning new ways to prepare them.

Do you like beans? Do you prefer another source for protein or do you just get enough by other means?

Reactions: Lou
I know it's not the best way to get protein, but for me it's tofu. I eat it more than I should, I know. I don't really like beans that much. I usually will add them if I'm baking a burrito bowl or something Mexican inspired, but I have to kind of force myself to get through it. I did make bean and cheese enchiladas once that were amazing, but there was so much sauce and cheese I wasn't really aware of the beans lol. I've heard you can puree beans to get them into foods without noticing. I might have to look into that.

Beans are definitely my main source of protein. Many people don't believe that soy is healthy (I think it is), but not many people can deny the health benefits of beans. There are so many different varieties of beans and so many ways to use then, it is hard for me to get bored with them. My favorite beans are chickpeas and cannelini beans.

Eggs are an excellent source of protein for me. Especially when you add some sort of condiment to them (such as curry). Of course, they do get boring after a while, so I switch it up by eating beans, green peas, chia seeds etc. Thankfully there are plenty of alternatives available.

Living in India, I usually eat white or brown rice with a different vegetable curry everyday. I've never lacked protein or anything else. In fact, my doctor says I'm one of his healthiest patients.

Green peas, chickpeas, beans, tofu, different seeds(e.g., poppy seeds, chia seeds, sesame)...I am also not a vegan, so I treat myself with cheese, yogurt/milk and eggs, as well.

I rely on my entire diet for it.. not one food or meal. if you eat a balanced diet with enough calories, you will be getting enough, it's everywhere.

I LOVE BEANS! Specifically, black beans. Though, I really don't discriminate. Black beans were a huge reason for me giving up meat in the first place. I just loved them so much, I didn't miss meat at all. I'm a big lover of Mexican and Southwest style foods. I prepare mine with garlic, bell peppers, jalapenos, onion, chipotles, tomatoes and lots of seasonings. I prepare a big batch once a week or every other week. I eat them often on taco salads or alone in a bowl with some sour scream on top. They are sooooo good!

I mainly get mine from lentils, beans, eggs and tofu. Different lentils have very different tastes (some which I hate), but overall they're a really healthy way to get a fill of protein. When it comes to beans, I love kidney beans and chickpeas particularly. They taste so good (especially hummus!). I have an egg as part of my breakfast most mornings, as they're so easy and quick to make. Tofu is probably the least healthy way for vegetarians to get protein, as it's so processed and refined. However, it does taste so good, and I do love tofu with some broccoli!

Beans, lentils and nuts mainly, although I do have soy protein shakes and sometimes soy/nut/seed protein bars. I haven't been fully vegan for very long though.

My main source of protein is green peas, nut and nut butter,almond butter cookies (really delicious), beans (I don't like them much though)

I have a high carbohydrate diet. You don't need to get so worried about protein, honestly. This should make you laugh:
Funny indeed! :) Thank's for sharing. Besides: you are right! The protein obsession, as I view it, reverberates the propaganda of the meat and dairy industry that only animal protein is the real protein and that you have to eat loads of it to stay healthy. If you are a vegan and try to stay away from processed food, you will not have to worry about where to get your protein from.

I'm trying to not worry soo much about protien, I weight 164lbs and I think I get roughly 60-70g a day and that's with a 20g protien shake.

I think calories is the most important if you're trying to bulk but don't take my word for it.

The Hemp Shop do a protein powder that mixes well with hummus. But to be honest, if I want to feel energised all I have to do is stop eating sugar, not natural sugar in foods, but the extra in drinks, chocolate and biscuits. I sleep better and wake up fresher, it really works for me. Trouble is if I start eating it again then I get reliant on it for energy and then I have to break the habit again.

Beans, oats, mushrooms. I eat soy products about twice a week so they aren't my main source, I eat beans, oats and mushrooms everyday, but they are useful for people just starting out.