Question Where do you even get your protein if you're vegan ?

Yeah, we got his sh*t.... :cool:
Hey, don't forget about the nooch! NOOOOCH, BAAAABY!!!! :hh: Nutritional yeast - Wikipedia

Making that pasta I referred to earlier... incidentally, (and this is per serving), the rotini itself has 7g of protein... the almonds ALONE (for the Romesco sauce) have 6g of protein... the added nooch makes it 9 MORE grams of protein. :weird: I can do math, and that's a sh*t-ton o' protein for one meal, b*tches! :D And I'm not even adding garbanzos this time! LMAO :p

Oh, and I also added baby spinach. I just saw that up there, so that's 5 more for me!! :up:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mischief
Well, FOOD ... typically consists of a combination of carbohydrates, fat and protein ... not many other choices possible that we can digest.

So typically, we get our Protein from (vegan) food.
I think that the general obsession with protein is what is to be blamed for the (often inane) question...

Madame Sacastra, could you post the URL of those images if you have it handy, good images, I have saved those for future use!

Well, FOOD ... typically consists of a combination of carbohydrates, fat and protein ... not many other choices possible that we can digest.

So typically, we get our Protein from (vegan) food.
I think that the general obsession with protein is what is to be blamed for the (often inane) question...
Agreed. It would make more sense to ask about where to get iron or vitamin B12.

I cannot even count the number of ex-vegetarians who told me "oh I used to be vegetarian but then I got sick because I didn't get enough protein." Umm. Okay? Were your gums bleeding? Because THAT'S the sign of protein deficiency, not low-energy and fatigue.... :fp:

Reactions: Amy SF
Madame Sacastra, could you post the URL of those images if you have it handy, good images, I have saved those for future use!
I take it you're not on a PC, as I am... otherwise I'd say right-click on each image and save. Um... are you able to do that? I don't mind hunting for the URLs, if not. ;)

Actually what I did was Google "list of plant based proteins" and click Images... the first chart I posted is the third shown on that page. There are TONS of different charts! So I'll just post the link to that image page....

list of plant based proteins - Google Search

And the one for various sites....

https://www.google.com/search?q=list+of+plant+based+proteins&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I'm still finding stuff... LOL :rolleyes:

http://yumuniverse.com/plant-based-protein-information-chart/

Plant-Based Protein Chart - The Holy Kale

https://rebeldietitian.us/plant-based-protein-charts/

http://vegetariannutrition.net/docs/Protein-Vegetarian-Nutrition.pdf

Protein in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

Last edited:
If someone says "Where do you get your protein?" what they are really saying is "I have never really given much thought to vegan diets and I don't know anything about nutrition."

Thank you.
De nada, doll! :)

Hell, and I'm just a lowly vegetarian. :blush: But compared to two years ago, I think my diary consumption has reduced by 95%, maybe more! :D I gave up eggs over a year & a half ago. I only use a tiny bit of organic hazelnut creamer in my coffee (that's almost gone & I'm gonna try a flavored plant-based creamer next), & the very little cheese I do consume must be organic & animal-rennet/enzyme-free... if it lists "enzymes" in the ingredients (without specifying what kind), that's code for rennet. :yuck:

Last edited:
De nada, doll! :)

Hell, and I'm just a lowly vegetarian. :blush: But compared to two years ago, I think my diary consumption has reduced by 95%, maybe more! :D I gave up eggs over a year & a half ago. I only use a tiny bit of organic hazelnut creamer in my coffee (that's almost gone & I'm gonna try a flavored plant-based creamer next), & the very little cheese I do consume must be organic & animal-rennet/enzyme-free... if it lists "enzymes" in the ingredients (without specifying what kind), that's code for rennet. :yuck:

We are pretty similar. I occassionally sneak a small piece of milk chocolate or eat a piece of cake that might have an egg in, but I don't directly consume any dairy or eggs.

We are pretty similar. I occassionally sneak a small piece of milk chocolate or eat a piece of cake that might have an egg in, but I don't directly consume any dairy or eggs.
I don't dig sweets at all... it's only the cheese, with me. :fp: Ohhhh, the cheeeeese!! :woo:
Myyy precioussssss.... :df:

I don't get any protein at all. I've been wasting away for six years.

(On a more serious note, I'm training in roller derby and crossfit, which requires a lot of protein - around 80g on a normal day and around 120g three times a week on the high protein days. I do not struggle to meet this at all.)

Hey, don't forget about the nooch! NOOOOCH, BAAAABY!!!! :hh: Nutritional yeast - Wikipedia
:up:
LUUVVVV nutritional yeast...

BUT....

Make sure you get nutritional yeast- that flaky, yellow kind that tastes cheesey, and not the grayish-brown powdery kind that tastes kind of yeasty. That's brewer's yeast, and although it might have nutritional value, I don't care for the taste.

But back to the original question: unless you're consuming a lot of fats and sweet things that don't have any protein to speak of at all (or at least have too many calories for you to use them as a significant source of protein without gaining weight), you shouldn't have trouble getting protein.