Whatcha Eatin?

I just watched a Cheap Lazy Vegan video from a few days ago where she made 5 x 5 minute meals - in one of them she used couscous and it made me remember that I bought a bag of couscouse back in March when I was doing covid shopping - I had forgotten about it and it is so so simple to prepare - boil the kettle and pour the water over it, let sit while you make the rest - I also put in garlic powder, paprika and some dried chives - then I ripped up some greens, cut up a roma tomato, rinses half a can of brown lentils, mixed it all together and put some soy sauce, rice vinegar, lemon juice and a tiny amount of tahini on top - all done in 5 minutes as she promised and it was so delicious!

Emma JC

I love cous cous. I’ve made stuffed peppers with it.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I just had a toasted bagel and some cold sparkling water.

I just watched a Cheap Lazy Vegan video from a few days ago where she made 5 x 5 minute meals - in one of them she used couscous and it made me remember that I bought a bag of couscouse back in March when I was doing covid shopping - I had forgotten about it and it is so so simple to prepare - boil the kettle and pour the water over it, let sit while you make the rest - I also put in garlic powder, paprika and some dried chives - then I ripped up some greens, cut up a roma tomato, rinses half a can of brown lentils, mixed it all together and put some soy sauce, rice vinegar, lemon juice and a tiny amount of tahini on top - all done in 5 minutes as she promised and it was so delicious!

Emma JC

I watched that as well. :D

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I just made a big pot of wild rice, quinoa, fresh garlic, black beans, corn and adjika (spicy red pepper salsa from Bulgaria). It's SO good. So incredibly delicious.
Adjiga :drool: :drool: :drool: ... I urgently need to sort out the gigantic batch of adjiga that we got in Abkhazia. I hope it's still edible (it should be edible due to its recipe). That's interesting that Russians tend to pronounce it like "Adjika" too,- while all Caucasian peoples, peoples in Central Asia, and even people from Syria (i heard it) pronounce it like "Adjiga" with a specific letter "j" that is not native to Russian language, at least. Caucasian adjiga is super dense and hot, and it has been my love affair since i was a toddler (i'm sure about it).:lol: Eeehhh... no Caucasus for me this year, no Black sea, no mountains, no Armenians, no adjiga... Only work, work and work again (and grey gloomy sky of SPb).:hmm:

Reactions: Emma JC
Warm golden beets with balsamic :lick:
I always wonder why beets are always sold by the bunch, when they're so varied! I always check them to find 3 big ones. It's like they're always in 3's, but some are 3 small, other times all 3 are large and weigh a lot more! Not complaining.....:weird:

I just had a tofu, peanut butter and basil sandwich.
I had to think about that so hard, then realized, I love tofu with a spicy peanut sauce, and basil, esp Thai basil, goes great with both! :up:

Adjiga :drool: :drool: :drool: ... I urgently need to sort out the gigantic batch of adjiga that we got in Abkhazia. I hope it's still edible (it should be edible due to its recipe). That's interesting that Russians tend to pronounce it like "Adjika" too,- while all Caucasian peoples, peoples in Central Asia, and even people from Syria (i heard it) pronounce it like "Adjiga" with a specific letter "j" that is not native to Russian language, at least. Caucasian adjiga is super dense and hot, and it has been my love affair since i was a toddler (i'm sure about it).:lol: Eeehhh... no Caucasus for me this year, no Black sea, no mountains, no Armenians, no adjiga... Only work, work and work again (and grey gloomy sky of SPb).:hmm:

On the jar, it says, "ADJIKA," and that it was imported from Bulgaria. I got it at a local Uzbek market. Most of the writing on the jar uses Cyrillic so it could say ADJIGA too for all I know. I should take a picture.

Reactions: Emma JC and Val
On the jar, it says, "ADJIKA," and that it was imported from Bulgaria. I got it at a local Uzbek market. Most of the writing on the jar uses Cyrillic so it could say ADJIGA too for all I know. I should take a picture.
Lol, i didn't say that "Adjika" is wrong. It happens to be a regional thing. And, despite that i haven't spoken about it with Uzbekhs too much, they seem to pronounce it like "Adjika" too, probably because it's easier to them. (We have a mighty Uzbekh diaspora here, and i meet them at food markets and when they work as cab drivers. We also have many other individuals of turkic origin, such as Azeri, Tadjik, Kirgyz, Uzbekh, Turkmen, Tatar, Bashkir, Chuvash, Sayan, Khakass, Yakut, Altai, etc., etc... ).
I find it fascinating that this word is a global thing (i mean, it's represented worldwide, with subtle variations). Maybe the word "ajvar" (and the food ajvar) could be compared to it, regarding it's generalization,- nevertheless, it's not as prevalent as adjiga.
P.S. the fact that you have Uzbekh diaspora at where you are is amazing.💞

Lol, i didn't say that "Adjika" is wrong. It happens to be a regional thing. And, despite that i haven't spoken about it with Uzbekhs too much, they seem to pronounce it like "Adjika" too, probably because it's easier to them. (We have a mighty Uzbekh diaspora here, and i meet them at food markets and when they work as cab drivers. We also have many other individuals of turkic origin, such as Azeri, Tadjik, Kirgyz, Uzbekh, Turkmen, Tatar, Bashkir, Chuvash, Sayan, Khakass, Yakut, Altai, etc., etc... ).
I find it fascinating that this word is a global thing (i mean, it's represented worldwide, with subtle variations). Maybe the word "ajvar" (and the food ajvar) could be compared to it, regarding it's generalization,- nevertheless, it's not as prevalent as adjiga.
P.S. the fact that you have Uzbekh diaspora at where you are is amazing.💞

I think every country is represented in NYC! I happen to live near the local Uzbekh community.

• Friendly
I had a late breakfast of a few crackers with vegan cheese and a green smoothie.

I have made a big salad for lunch and I'm having it with a vegan burger.

Hehehe, Unghshu couldn't help bragging. :lol: Made my very first hummus yesterday! Sounds odd that i hadn't ever bothered before, but before the pandemic, i simply could buy it anywhere (though it was pricy). And i wasn't very much into hummus lately (i had overeaten it at some point, i think). Plus, i find my blender inconvenient (now Liza has expropriated it, so no blender for me whatsoever). But(!) Gala bought another blender recently and i stole it for an hour.😁 I had thoughts about adding herbs, but it was my first attempt, and i needed to develop a proportion of some sort, therefore i decided to keep it simple: just chickpeas, tahini, lemon and seasonings. It turned out very decent: e.g. Gala is a picky eater, but she said it was delicious and better than a store-brand one. The batch is very big, and now i'm drowning in the sin of gluttony.😆 I've got 1/2 jar of tahini left, but i have no chickpeas left, so i'll try and make bean hummus, otherwise tahini will go bad. After all, it's very romantic - to make hummus at the country. :ma:It's a shame that i have no Armenian lavash here, and i have to eat hummus with whatever i can find (the rye bread at the countryside kiosk is good though, and it's 100%vegan; what about the white bread,- i ate it, but there was something wrong in its taste, so i assume, it could have been non-vegan!...devoured it anyway😅). But if i make it a habit (home-made hummus), it will be nice to eat it in winter with lavash, and to use some more sophisticated recipes, for example, beet hummus (saw it in Ribbon mall, but it was very pricey). I've had a chance to realize that a home-made one is waaaay cheaper than a store-brand one.
IMG_20200817_144732_289.jpg

IMG_20200817_144732_312.jpg

IMG_20200817_144732_288.jpg

IMG_20200817_144732_294.jpg

IMG_20200817_141613.jpg

IMG_20200817_141217.jpg

IMG_20200817_144732_338.jpg

IMG_20200817_144732_349.jpg

IMG_20200817_144732_348.jpg

Hehehe, Unghshu couldn't help bragging. :lol: Made my very first hummus yesterday! Sounds odd that i hadn't ever bothered before, but before the pandemic, i simply could buy it anywhere (though it was pricy). And i wasn't very much into hummus lately (i had overeaten it at some point, i think). Plus, i find my blender inconvenient (now Liza has expropriated it, so no blender for me whatsoever). But(!) Gala bought another blender recently and i stole it for an hour.😁 I had thoughts about adding herbs, but it was my first attempt, and i needed to develop a proportion of some sort, therefore i decided to keep it simple: just chickpeas, tahini, lemon and seasonings. It turned out very decent: e.g. Gala is a picky eater, but she said it was delicious and better than a store-brand one. The batch is very big, and now i'm drowning in the sin of gluttony.😆 I've got 1/2 jar of tahini left, but i have no chickpeas left, so i'll try and make bean hummus, otherwise tahini will go bad. After all, it's very romantic - to make hummus at the country. :ma:It's a shame that i have no Armenian lavash here, and i have to eat hummus with whatever i can find (the rye bread at the countryside kiosk is good though, and it's 100%vegan; what about the white bread,- i ate it, but there was something wrong in its taste, so i assume, it could have been non-vegan!...devoured it anyway😅). But if i make it a habit (home-made hummus), it will be nice to eat it in winter with lavash, and to use some more sophisticated recipes, for example, beet hummus (saw it in Ribbon mall, but it was very pricey). I've had a chance to realize that a home-made one is waaaay cheaper than a store-brand one.
View attachment 22144

View attachment 22145

View attachment 22146

View attachment 22147

View attachment 22151

View attachment 22152

View attachment 22153

View attachment 22154

View attachment 22155

It looks so amazing, and easy to make. I want to try making it.

Adjika hummus would be really good!

It looks so amazing, and easy to make. I want to try making it.

Adjika hummus would be really good!
Aha... or at least sriracha hummus... I have plenty of sriracha (even here, at the country), and i would have been happy to make it the way i love, but i was afraid that no one else would eat it. (Haha, i'm not that greedy, and i'm willing to share, but sriracha would have made it impossible).🔥🔥🔥 :lol:
P.S. poor Gala said that even my [bland] hummus was too spicy for her (it wasn't spicy at all, as i didn't add cayenne pepper, but who knows: perhaps it was something in the seasonings)...

Aha... or at least sriracha hummus... I have plenty of sriracha (even here, at the country), and i would have been happy to make it the way i love, but i was afraid that no one else would eat it. (Haha, i'm not that greedy, and i'm willing to share, but sriracha would have made it impossible).🔥🔥🔥 :lol:
P.S. poor Gala said that even my [bland] hummus was too spicy for her (it wasn't spicy at all, as i didn't add cayenne pepper, but who knows: perhaps it was something in the seasonings)...
Gala was contented about the hummus, but she told me that she had eaten 2 big pieces of bread with hummus, and then...ta-da! - a big piece of kielbasa! And altogether, it caused her indigestion.🤦‍♀️ Who on Earth told her to devour kielbasa after hummus?🙄 Everyone knows that tahini is incompatible with a lot of things, especially greasy processed meat products, so maybe i should have warned her...

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
This was my night meal that i had in my upper veranda😁. I also had a big bag of apple wedges.
IMG_20200817_185813.jpg
It's rye bread with hummus and tomatoes. There was too much food for me, so i finished it in the morning. Plus i ate some hazelnuts.
I made up a good solution for my privacy-related issue: i take my supper upstairs in the fridge-bag, so i can be alone, eat supper in bed and watch movies, lol,- and no one "stands above my soul" when i eat.
Here is my another supper in the bag (it can stay fresh until morning).
IMG_20200812_003356.jpg

I don't know if it's my immersion blender stick or me, but I would make a terrible mess doing it in a bowl like that! if it's not a deep, kinda narrow bowl I have to constantly move it up and down, mashing things, rather than it taking them in and blending :shrug:
I'd also gotten sick of chickpeas, but wanted to make hummus last weekend. I thought I had a half bag left, but couldn't find it! For some unknown reason they haven't been easy to find dry

I had beet greens with nooch, and cherry tomatoes. Then I had some chik'n nuggets.
I think I'll have a tumeric hot chocolate soy milk before bed--which will be soon. :tired::sleepy:

• Friendly
I don't know if it's my immersion blender stick or me, but I would make a terrible mess doing it in a bowl like that! if it's not a deep, kinda narrow bowl I have to constantly move it up and down, mashing things, rather than it taking them in and blending :shrug:
I'd also gotten sick of chickpeas, but wanted to make hummus last weekend. I thought I had a half bag left, but couldn't find it! For some unknown reason they haven't been easy to find dry

I had beet greens with nooch, and cherry tomatoes. Then I had some chik'n nuggets.
I think I'll have a tumeric hot chocolate soy milk before bed--which will be soon. :tired::sleepy:
I think on Wednesday, i'll make a batch of bean hummus, and i'll tell you how it goes... I take it, nowadays chickpeas are not obligate at all. I think, mung beans (maash) as hummus will be pretty edible too.