What sport you do

odlyprincess

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Pescetarian
Hello everyone! I'm relatively new to the forum. Before, I did strength and cardio training when I was eating animal products.
But, now that after the refusal, I feel less power to train the same way as before.

I wonder how people here are building their sports routine with a vegetarian lifestyle.

I became vegan very gradually. Can't say I noticed any difference before or after. Could be partially because of the gradual nature of my transition. but I think it's more likely that there was no change.

Maybe the most common mistake new vegans make is that they don't eat enough calories.
Plant based food is much less calorie dense than animal based food.
For instance 100 grams of chicken has 200 calories.
but 100 grams of tofu has less than 100 calories.
And 100 grams of black beans has even less.
1 cup of pork has almost 400 calories. one cup of black beans has 200.

many new vegans eat the same weight or volume of food not realizing that they are getting less than half the calories. So then they run out of energy.

There are a lot of excellent athletes who are vegan. Many of them have books, videos, and blogs. You might want to check some out

This is a good example

Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
The first thing I'd be interested in is what your typical day looks like now. What you are eating? How much of those foods? What vitamins or supplements are you already taking, if any?

I agree that it's a good idea to make sure you're getting enough calories. One calorie-dense option is nuts and seeds, in moderation, with your other foods, like sunflower seeds on top of your breakfast and tahini with your lunch, chia, flax, and hemp seeds, walnuts, a brazil nut here and there.
another good thing I've heard about nuts and seeds is that they have a slightly different proportions of some amino acids.

Another thing to consider is iron. I'm not athletic but I find I do better if I supplement in the mornings with between 14 and 28mg with some extra vitamin C. Some people have a genetic thing where they actually absorb too much iron, though, so it's a good idea to get tested, to see if you have low iron.

Of course, no amount of supplements can help if your diet isn't already as solid as it can be.

I took a quick look at your posts, and I didn't see anything about what you typically eat, only a post about a coffee cake recipe.

In the introduction thread, I also saw that you said,

My doctor even forbade me to quite a meat because of my health condition.

What did you mean by that?

I was tempted to come up with some ideas about what you could do differently, but I realized I can't do that until you explain what you're doing now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
One calorie-dense option is nuts and seeds, in moderation, with your other foods, like sunflower seeds on top of your breakfast and tahini with your lunch, chia, flax, and hemp seeds, walnuts, a brazil nut here and there. another good thing I've heard about nuts and seeds is that they have a slightly different proportions of some amino acids.

with nuts and seeds, the protein/ amino acids is just a little part of their health benefits.
A good rule of thumb for getting all your amino acids is just to meet your protein and calorie requirement with a large variety of foods. Dr. Gregar's Daily Dozen makes that a bit easier with a checklist.

nuts and seeds are also a good source of fats. Many of them are good sources of ALA omega 3s. For many vegans it's their only source of omega 3.

Just 1 tbs of seeds a day is optimum. I add some ground flax seed to my oatmeal. Two to three tbs of nuts is optimum. Walnuts have ALA, too. And of course nuts are a good source of healthy fats. They digest slowly and help you not run out of fuel. Plus they are easy to snack on between meals.

I also agree that a young athletic person's optimal diet isn't going to be identical to mine.
In addition, how do you feel about using supplements?

there are some supplements that vegans should take.
Vitamin D, and B12. are essential. I also take a DHA/EPA

Reactions: bEt and Brian W
I became vegan very gradually. Can't say I noticed any difference before or after. Could be partially because of the gradual nature of my transition. but I think it's more likely that there was no change.

Maybe the most common mistake new vegans make is that they don't eat enough calories.
Plant based food is much less calorie dense than animal based food.
For instance 100 grams of chicken has 200 calories.
but 100 grams of tofu has less than 100 calories.
And 100 grams of black beans has even less.
1 cup of pork has almost 400 calories. one cup of black beans has 200.

many new vegans eat the same weight or volume of food not realizing that they are getting less than half the calories. So then they run out of energy.

There are a lot of excellent athletes and cyclists who use Tomasso who are vegan. Many of them have books, videos, and blogs. You might want to check some out

This is a good example
You are so right! At first, it is really difficult to understand your calorie intake when switching to a new type of food without meat. I go to the gym and it's very important for me to keep my muscle tissue. I added soy protein isolate to my diet. It is highly digestible and helps the body get the protein it needs.

Haven't visited the thread for ages. Sorry for that guys!
Your right guys. I haven't pointed out here anything about what I typically eat during the day. Coffee and cakes are my passion.
Probably, this is it. I have never counted my calories. And thanks for the book suggestion
During the day I usually eat veg, fruits, some nuts, and oatmeal with flax seeds in the morning. I honestly still eat some cheese and eggs once or twice a week eggs. I never keep a diary, to be honest.
I used to do sport I do yoga 2-3 times a week with my friend. This is her idea.
Personally me, for the last few months I ride a bike. I rent it at the beginning. Purchased an own one couple of months ago. Got Schwinn Discover Hybrid Bike. Do not know why I haven't ridden the bike before. I did that during my school day, back when I was 13.
A good rule of thumb for getting all your amino acids is just to meet your protein and calorie requirement with a large variety of foods.
Ok, but what product do I need to eat to meet my calorie requirement and continue to do sports I love?
mine is i never forget to take my supplements and im doing yoga and swimming for my exercise.
Good choice. What supplements do you take?
I go to the gym and it's very important for me to keep my muscle tissue. I added soy protein isolate to my diet. It is highly digestible and helps the body get the protein it needs.
I guess you're right. I definitely need to take more protein during the day. Especially the days I ride the bike and do other high-intensity exercises.

Haven't visited the thread for ages. Sorry for that guys!
Your right guys. I haven't pointed out here anything about what I typically eat during the day. Coffee and cakes are my passion.

Probably, this is it. I have never counted my calories.
Well... you don't really Need to count calories. If you are gaining weight eat less. if you are losing weight eat more. But people serious about nutrition usually have a good idea of their calorie requirements and and their intake.

During the day I usually eat veg, fruits, some nuts, and oatmeal with flax seeds in the morning. I honestly still eat some cheese and eggs once or twice a week eggs. I never keep a diary, to be honest.
I used to do sport I do yoga 2-3 times a week with my friend. This is her idea.
Personally me, for the last few months I ride a bike. I rent it at the beginning. Purchased an own one couple of months ago. Got Schwinn Discover Hybrid Bike. Do not know why I haven't ridden the bike before. I did that during my school day, back when I was 13.

no matter what some level of exercise is required. 150 minutes a week of moderate or 75 minutes of vigorous are the goals most often cited.
Ok, but what product do I need to eat to meet my calorie requirement and continue to do sports I love?
A vegan eating a good variety of. whole food plant based foods may not need any supplement besides B12. Vitamin D and omega 3 are good ideas too.
As I said before, if you are eating enough calories you are probably getting enough protein. If you aren't eating enough calories - just eat more.
Good choice. What supplements do you take?
I take 1000 mcg of B12, 50 mcg of D, and 200 mcg of DHA a Day.
I used to take a multi but I don't think I need it anymore but I think for those who are not as careful about nutrition - it's good insurance.
I guess you're right. I definitely need to take more protein during the day. Especially the days I ride the bike and do other high-intensity exercises.
I didn't say that!

Coffee and cakes are my passion.
Well, I hear you about the coffee and the cakes. Personally, I love the way coffee tastes, and cakes are just plain fun.

But I'm about to be a big wet blanket here . . .

Coffee seems like it gives you energy because of the caffeine, but coffee also inhibits iron absorption, so you may want to consider slowly cutting back if you're drinking a lot of coffee. I'm not a big fan of eating cakes, either, because they don't provide nearly as much nutrition as other foods. It may be best to save cakes for special occasions, and increase your intake of nutrient-dense foods.
Eggs and dairy also inhibit iron absorption. In fact, it may be easier to get more iron by eating more beans in place of the dairy. If you like to make your own baked goods, you might want to look into making your own dosas. There are a few bloggers writing about how to do that. Dosas typically have both legumes and grains. Or you can make a pancake-like, or tortilla-like flatbread with just legumes, as peakvegan does

As far as supplements go, one that I use is a B-complex. I find it helps me with energy. I take only a portion of the pill each day, so I don't need to buy it very often. I also take extra B12.

Another way to get extra B vitamins is to use nutritional yeast. It gives a savory, cheese-like flavor to foods you add it to or just sprinkle it on top.

Last edited:
I'm thriving with vegan lifestyle.
When I ate animal products, I was able to get gains faster, but my digestion wasn't effective and had stomach aches often.

I do kickboxing and strength training. And also, some Yoga.
And I'm a permacultural farmer, so I do a lot of heavy lifting and cardio at work as well.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
I do kickboxing and strength training.
That's really cool. I used to do Choy Li Fut but couldn't afford to continue classes. I was once paired with a small, thin young woman to practice blocking and at the end of the session my arm was hurting really badly but she seemed totally unfazed. It turns out she was a black belt in kickboxing and was starting to learn different styles. I certainly wouldn't want to fight her! :eek:

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
That's really cool. I used to do Choy Li Fut but couldn't afford to continue classes. I was once paired with a small, thin young woman to practice blocking and at the end of the session my arm was hurting really badly but she seemed totally unfazed. It turns out she was a black belt in kickboxing and was starting to learn different styles. I certainly wouldn't want to fight her! :eek:
I have never heard of Choy Li Fut. What kind of an martial arts is that?

Cycling, skateboarding, gym and recently there is a class there called 'boxing' that I have found quite interesting.

Reactions: PTree15