Health Issues What is your opinion on immunisations?

Would you vaccinate your child if you were a parent?

• Yes

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Only one vaccine at a time

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Only some vaccines

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Vaccinations appears to be a controversial topic among vegan / vegetarian parents. If you were a parent, would you vaccinate your child? Why or why not?

I would/have vaccinated my children. I believe the benefits far outweigh the risks. I do think it's ok to spread the vaccines out over a longer period of time. My daughter did that with the grandchildren.

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
I would/have vaccinated my children. I believe the benefits far outweigh the risks. I do think it's ok to spread the vaccines out over a longer period of time.

+1!

I am aware that many vaccines are not vegan friendly. For that reason, I typically evaluate the benefits of the vaccine in question.

For example, I normally do not go for the "flu shot", as contracting influenza normally does not pose severe risks for healthy persons and I am not routinely in contact with persons at risk. The year when my wife had to undergo chemotherapy, of course my kids and I went for the vaccination.

Yes. The advantages are far greater than the risks. It is thanks to vaccines that serious and deadly diseases have disappeared.

+1!

I am aware that many vaccines are not vegan friendly. For that reason, I typically evaluate the benefits of the vaccine in question.

For example, I normally do not go for the "flu shot", as contracting influenza normally does not pose severe risks for healthy persons and I am not routinely in contact with persons at risk. The year when my wife had to undergo chemotherapy, of course my kids and I went for the vaccination.
Last year I learned when I asked a nurse that my place of work (I work in a large medical organization) offers an egg free version of the flu shot. I was able to get one though I had to get it through the occupational med department as opposed to the onsite flu shot clinic that came around because they keep a limited supply. I explained that I am vegan and they were good with that. I used to avoid flu shots but am now on a drug that lowers the immune system (I take it for a bone condition), and my partner has an immune deficiency syndrome and is also now on an immune lowering drug for his rheumatoid arthritis. I would rather do what I can to minimize risk in our situations.

ETA: I never had children and I am really not sure what I would do. I think I would allow for some but not others. It's just not something I have had to think about.

Reactions: ledboots
+1!

There are others undergoing chemo or with compromised immune systems for various other reasons whom you may put at risk if you refuse the influenza vaccine.

Reactions: KLS52
My now adult children were vaccinated before we were vegan. I did a full but time-modified vaccination schedule for them. For example, Hepatitis B is not a real risk for infants (in the US all mothers are tested, so they can't pass it along at birth), yet the vaccine is often given to babies on the very day of birth.

There are others undergoing chemo or with compromised immune systems for various other reasons whom you may put at risk if you refuse the influenza vaccine.

True, but I do not regularly get into close contact with them. If I were working e.g. in health care, it would be different.

Last year I learned when I asked a nurse that my place of work (I work in a large medical organization) offers an egg free version of the flu shot. I was able to get one though I had to get it through the occupational med department as opposed to the onsite flu shot clinic that came around because they keep a limited supply. I explained that I am vegan and they were good with that.

I didn't realise there was one. I was worried I would get a reaction when I have had the flu jab as I have been vegan for so many years and thought the egg version might have given me a reaction.

True, but I do not regularly get into close contact with them. If I were working e.g. in health care, it would be different.
You can give the flu to someone by walking past them in a grocery store, even before you feel symptoms. The flu vaccine only works to stop horrendous flu outbreaks (like the one in 2010 that killed many) if people actually get vaccinated.

Reactions: KLS52
My job requires that I get a flu vaccine every year. I would get one, regardless. I admit, I forgot about the whole vegan aspect of it. But then, I don't relate the word vegan to myself since I am not as strict as I could be.

I'm not sure I buy into the whole "vaccines cause autism" but that is the reason my daughter chose to get the watered down versions for her kids and spread the immunizations out over a longer period of time.

My children were born way before the vaccine controversy so I followed pediatrician recommendations. I do think the benefits far outweigh the risks. I do not get the flu shot myself however though I probably should start doing so now that I am an "old lady."

My job requires that I get a flu vaccine every year. I would get one, regardless. I admit, I forgot about the whole vegan aspect of it. But then, I don't relate the word vegan to myself since I am not as strict as I could be.

I'm not sure I buy into the whole "vaccines cause autism" but that is the reason my daughter chose to get the watered down versions for her kids and spread the immunizations out over a longer period of time.
I don't believe the vaccine/autism link either, but I also do not like the vaccine schedule used in the US. They give too many vaccines too young, imo. It's hard on the immature immune system.

What do you think of some of the questionable ingredients that are frequently used in vaccines, though? I'm not thinking of the eggs they are grown in, or the pig gelatin used as a stabiliser, but substances like mercury, aluminium, formaldehyde, antibiotics?

Unless there is some deep conspiracy going on, I'd say immunizations are safe, and people should get them as needed.

Regarding the flue vaccine, my own doctor said it's not necessary for me to get one (I guess because of the herd immunization effect), but my wife works directly with the public, so I need to get one to make sure I don't give her anything if I get sick. (she actually got a mild case of the flu a couple years ago, even after getting a flu shot)...no, not flu like symptoms from the shot, the actual flu, and she was treated with Tamiflu

I don't believe the vaccine/autism link either, but I also do not like the vaccine schedule used in the US. They give too many vaccines too young, imo. It's hard on the immature immune system.

Which is a good thing so it can become a strong immune system one day.

Yes, we vaccinate our kids. If there is any significant issue of animal cruelty I'm not aware of it and I'm not a (strict) vegan anyway so I wouldn't worry about trace amounts of animal products vs health of my kids and the human population in general.