What is the worst thing about being a vegetarian/vegan?

I see. What is the 'deal' that he has with the troopers ? Is it legal to sell roadkill ? Over here I would imagine that the poor animals are incinerated.
They just inform him that a deer got hit by a car. As far as I know, it's legal to pick roadkill and do whatever you want with it (in this case sell it), it's just another form of trash. While I feel bad for the deer (deer overpopulation is the result of killing out the wolfs, of course), it's less of a waste this way.

I once saw a huge dead wild boar down the road ( near the dual carriageway) being carried onto the track of the local emergency service. I really feel sorry for animals as they must be at a loss when they live near busy roads.
Now, that is one of my pet peeves. It is not that much effort to prevent the majority of roadkill deaths. For example, you can buy an ultrasonic whistle that mounts on the fender and warns the animals. The cost is staggering 7 dollars if you buy retail, I have one on my car. There are studies (radar detection) that these things work very well. Why can't we have them built directly into the fenders? Then the architects can spend a tiny bit of effort on making animal underpasses (at negligible cost, I have done the numbers) and these underpasses can be used for water runoff anyway so the highway beds would last a bit longer. In short, if only people cared a little.

Now, that is one of my pet peeves. It is not that much effort to prevent the majority of roadkill deaths. For example, you can buy an ultrasonic whistle that mounts on the fender and warns the animals. The cost is staggering 7 dollars if you buy retail, I have one on my car. There are studies (radar detection) that these things work very well. Why can't we have them built directly into the fenders? Then the architects can spend a tiny bit of effort on making animal underpasses (at negligible cost, I have done the numbers) and these underpasses can be used for water runoff anyway so the highway beds would last a bit longer. In short, if only people cared a little.

Totally agree but sadly, we are the minority. I would gladly spend money on anything that would prevent animals getting killed.

Reactions: PTree15
Where I live there isn't the variety of produce one would find in a real city, and the closest I can get is a 100 mile drive from here, for me that makes it more of a special occasion than a routine commute.

The absolute worse thing ( so far), and trying to be as delicate as possible--in my house our high fiber diet has exceeded the capabilities of our plumbing fixtures.:fp:

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Only ever flew in the states, I’ve been getting free pretzels and biscoff (vegan cookies) for my 2 hour flights to Mississippi.
Does scare me about long flights, hopefully it wouldn’t be too hard to get vegan meals, might have to call in advance.

You can bring your own food on flights, at least in the US. As others said, be mindful of liquids. Just bring an empty water bottle with you and fill it at a water fountain after you get through security.

While expensive, many of the restaurants inside airports offer vegan options -you can order something to-go and take it on the plane with you.

When I have a long flight, I'll pack myself suitable snacks, like baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, fruit, seeds (I try to avoid bringing nuts since there are so many out there with serious nut allergies), sometimes granola bars, etc. Of course you need room in your personal bag that you take on the plane with you to stow everything, but then at least you're not at the mercy of whatever "food" the airline has available mid-flight.

This is not the only “worst thing” in my current reality, but it’s one of the biggest: When you’re with a group of people at a restaurant and since you’re the only veg*an, you don’t always get to choose the restaurant, so there are limited choices and you have to work really hard to get a decent meal. And there is unlikely to be veg*an protein available, so that convinces everyone else that you don’t get enough protein. Because, of course, they think of protein only as animal flesh. And they want you to start explaining your diet and you don’t really want to talk about it. I mean, are meat eaters expected to start expounding on why they eat meat every time they have a meal? It’s different standards and expectations for veg*ans. It’s always the elephant in the room. It’s like being the only Hindu in the room and, because Hindus in America are considered “exotic” and “foreign”, everyone is staring at the Hindu until the Hindu finally has to explain their religion and culture and why they have that red dot on their forehead and nobody can get past the fact that there’s a Hindu in the room until the Hindu says something.