What is my malfunction? Why is this so hard for me?

SquarePeg

Newcomer
Reaction score
My middle name should be changed from Lorraine to "Queen of Cognitive Dissonance!"

I swear that I am by far the worst vegetarian wannabe ever created.

I know why I don't want to eat meat. I've seen Peaceable Kingdom. I've watched Vegucated. I've watched Forks Over Knives. I'm a freaking nursing student. I get the health aspects and benefits of vegetarianism. I know what happens on factory farms. I see the evidence of it every day as the county directly to my south (which I drive through numerous times every week) is one of the largest poultry producers in the U.S. I see thousands of sick, scared, sadly abused chickens on flatbed trucks every month.

And still . . . I have not successfully transitioned to a plant based diet and had it last for any length of time.

Of course there are the usual excuses . . . and some of them are even true. I live in a rural area in Alabama where being a vegetarian is more difficult than it may be in some other areas. I live in the Deep South where cooking vegetables with some form of animal product is the norm (from pork fat to butter to cheese). I live in an area where people, by and large, are pretty hostile toward vegetarianism.

All of that is true. All of that does add a bit to the complications of being vegetarian in a decidedly omnivorous community.

My biggest problem seems to be that I am lazy as f*ck.

My kitchen is a mess. I hate menu planning and cooking. I'm not home as much as I'd like and my daughter now has school and a job so I'm often eating alone and I hate cooking for one. Which means eating out - and as I've already mentioned that is not a veg-friendly proposition where I live.

So I continuously cave to the convenience of eating just like everyone else. That leads me to feeling like a failure and that in turn leads me to feel like there's no point in continuing to even try.

Of course I go along my merry way doing the mainstream thing for a while and then my conscience wakes up again and prods me to try one more time. *Sigh*

I'm going to make a change for just one month. I am going to eat vegetarian for the month of October. I'm not trying to plan beyond that because it makes me feel overwhelmed. And perhaps if I manage to make it through one month I will feel some sense of accomplishment that might spur me on to another month.

This should be easier than this. It just should be.

Okay - bring on the 2x4s and the pitchforks.

It's a lot more difficult for some people than it is for others. Meat-eating gets more ingrained the older you get, and it's a bigger part of some cultures and families than it is others, which all contributes to making it harder - don't beat yourself up about it. We're all here for support, and best of luck with October! I hope it goes well for you.

Reactions: KLS52
I think a 30 day challenge is a great starting point. Any long-term goal can be daunting when you try to "bite off more than you can chew" so to speak. If you break it up and acknowledge the small victories, it might make it easier to turn a short-term goal into a life-long habit.
Do you have any time in your week where you could make a few veggie friendly entrees to freeze or refrigerate, so you would have quick and safe options to turn to when you are feeling lazy the rest of the week? What about picking up a few cookbooks, or taking some of your favorite non-vegetarian meals and making substitutions to make them veg-friendly?

please don't be so hard on yourself. :hug:
go easy, one day at a time.

after googling vegetarian cooking for one, this was one of the first things listed that might help:
Vegan Cooking For One
plus the many additional veggie books listed under that one.

you've got a lot of folks in your corner...you're in the right place here at Veggie Views!

It sounds like you want to be a vegetarian so just work on making it happen. For me learning to cook was very important. But even if you dont like to cook, coming up with vegetarian convenience options and quick easy veggie meals is something that will help you stay on track.

I actually find cooking meat eating more inconvenient for me, as I would have to prepare and cook it and it is a giant pain compared to cooking vegetables.

October is a good choice since it's World Vegetarian Month :)

Not really sure what advice to give. I dabbled in vegetarianism for about 6 months before it stuck, but I was at a different point in my life where it probably was a lot easier. Do you have or have you had any animals in your life? Dogs or cats? I think one thing that helped me transition to vegetarianism was that I had been blessed with the companionship of 2 amazing cats during childhood / adolescence. So once I learned about the existence of vegetarianism, and was no longer living at home, extending my respect for cats to the entire animal kingdom seemed like a natural development. At some point, I could no longer see the flesh of animals as food, only as murdered creatures who should have been playing or grazing peacefully in a field somewhere. Still to this day I can't stand the smell from the meat sections in grocery stores. It's the smell of violent death and murder.

Awesome that it is World vegetarian month as my veggieversary is on the 25th! 2 years!
:smitten: :df: :broccoli: :rp: :sb:

You need some amazing recipes! I've been so happy about cooking since my omnivore son left!
Get good freezable containers, and make a great stew!
You say you eat out? You eat with friends, or by yourself? If you can eat out with friends, invite them over instead!

The thing is that I've been playing with vegetarianism (bouncing around like one of those rubber balls that you get from vending machines) for YEARS! As in nearly a decade. My first shot at being vegetarian was in 2003. I have more than a dozen excellent cookbooks that range from the very easy (like PETA's cookbook for college students) to the complex and gourmet (like Veganomicon).

I am a single mom and a full-time college student and I am lazy. I mean really lazy. Which means that once I get school work done I don't feel like cooking or cleaning. The last part - not cleaning - means that every time I want to cook something I have to clean up before I cook (and then ideally again afterward). Since I have no interest in doing that I just take the path of the least resistance and I grab something fast while I am out. That means fast food or something close to home. Which means meat and dairy options.

Ultimately it boils down to me being too lazy to do what I know I need to do. But I keep falling off the wagon and climbing back on again ... hopefully one of these times it will stick.

The thing is that I've been playing with vegetarianism (bouncing around like one of those rubber balls that you get from vending machines) for YEARS! As in nearly a decade. My first shot at being vegetarian was in 2003. I have more than a dozen excellent cookbooks that range from the very easy (like PETA's cookbook for college students) to the complex and gourmet (like Veganomicon).

I am a single mom and a full-time college student and I am lazy. I mean really lazy. Which means that once I get school work done I don't feel like cooking or cleaning. The last part - not cleaning - means that every time I want to cook something I have to clean up before I cook (and then ideally again afterward). Since I have no interest in doing that I just take the path of the least resistance and I grab something fast while I am out. That means fast food or something close to home. Which means meat and dairy options.

Ultimately it boils down to me being too lazy to do what I know I need to do. But I keep falling off the wagon and climbing back on again ... hopefully one of these times it will stick.

If you have no other alternative (for the time being) but to buy ready made food, why not buy frozen or pre-cooked vegetarian meals ?

Since I have no interest in doing that I just take the path of the least resistance and I grab something fast while I am out. That means fast food or something close to home. Which means meat and dairy options.

Maybe start here at first. Instead of opting for meat and dairy fast food items, go for the vegan friendly places or order a meat and dairy meal and omit the meat and dairy. Fresco style bean burritos from Taco Bell, bean or tofu burritos from Moes or Chipolte, Del Taco, etc. ,veggie delight from Subway, baked potato & broccoli from Wendys, loaded veggie pizza without cheese from pizza places, etc. This might be helpful: www.veganeatingout.com.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
Shyvas,

At the risk of sounding like I'm making lame excuses, I don't do that, in large part, because they're expensive and I don't like the way most of the one's I've tried taste. I've ended up taking a bite or two of many of them and simply throwing away a $5 frozen dinner. Which is not only a waste of money but leaves me in a position where I still have to make something else to eat. Since I live in a rural Southern town my local grocery stores carry very little in the way of frozen vegetarian options other than Boca burgers and MSF sausage patties. It's a round trip of 70+ miles to get to a grocery store with a decent selection of frozen vegetarian or vegan entrees.

Which means I have to figure out why I'm making such poor choices and fix that underlying issue rather than using frozen convenience foods.

thefadedone,

Usually when I'm grabbing something fast I am doing it near my college campus. My options there are Huddle House (like a Waffle House), Hardee's, Dairy Queen and the student center. The closest Moe's to my college campus is 35 miles away, the closest Chipotle is 60 miles.

Again I realize I sound like I'm making lame *** excuses. But if I am going to make the switch and make it stick I have to figure out why I am so willing to take the path of the least resistance and why I am too damn lazy to cook anything or make a PB&J sandwich to take to school because many of the shortcuts and work arounds are really, honestly, not options for me. If I still lived in Florida this would be a piece of cake - but in Alabama it is a completely different situation.

How about using a crock pot or slow cooker...throw a load of veggies a little stock and some pulses in before you go out etc...when you come in...its ready, full of goodness and plenty of protein and its cheap...
Serve with rice, pasta, potatoes(in any fashion..I like baked) noodles, bread or biscuits or whatever you 'Mericans eat with meals...
Its so easy to be a lazy veggie...honestly.

Shyvas,

At the risk of sounding like I'm making lame excuses, I don't do that, in large part, because they're expensive and I don't like the way most of the one's I've tried taste. I've ended up taking a bite or two of many of them and simply throwing away a $5 frozen dinner. Which is not only a waste of money but leaves me in a position where I still have to make something else to eat. Since I live in a rural Southern town my local grocery stores carry very little in the way of frozen vegetarian options other than Boca burgers and MSF sausage patties. It's a round trip of 70+ miles to get to a grocery store with a decent selection of frozen vegetarian or vegan entrees.

Which means I have to figure out why I'm making such poor choices and fix that underlying issue rather than using frozen convenience foods.

What a shame that we don't all live in the same place and create a Veg* cantine for our members ?:rofl:

Alice,

That's a good point. I need to drag out my slow cooker. I also should look at buying a smaller one. I have this HUGE 7qt Kitchen Aid and I love it, but it is really too big for some of the smaller "meals for one" that I should be making. I think I'll head to Wal-Mart before school and look for a smaller one. I also have to find my vegetarian slow cooker cook book ... I have one somewhere. Now to just hope that I didn't lend it to someone. LOL

Reactions: thefadedone
I know it can be hard when you have kids, if they are picky eaters. My partner is Omni and hes very picky so i just asked what he did like veg wise and used those veg exclusively in all my dishes...Im a terrible cook. I literly make stews and soups all the time because its all I can cook thats got all my nutritional areas covered....I just serve it with something different everytime so it doesnt feel like youre eating the same thing everyday lol.