What does your weekly grocery shop cost?

How much per person do you spend on groceries each week?

• Under £10/$16/€13

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Between £10/$16/€13 and £20/$32/€25

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Between £20/$32/€25 and £30/$48/€37

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Between £30/$48/€37 and £40/$64/€50

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Between £40/$64/€50 and £50/$80/€63

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Over £50/$80/€63

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
How much does your household spend on groceries per person per week?

I'm just curious how spending differs in different parts of the world, parts of the country, etc? Are groceries expensive in your area compared to others, or fairly cheap? Do you think you spend a lot? Buy a lot of 'luxury' items? Deal shop?

I do a shop every two weeks, at about £40, so that's £20 a week between two of us. Then, on top, we have vegetable boxes delivered (£12 a week) and buy special things from Holland and Barrett/the local vegetarian supermarket (around £20 a month). So that's about £18 per person per week. I think that's relatively cheap, seeing as we eat a fair amount of vegan-specific products like Redwood's and Fry's, as well as plenty of fresh fruit and veg (which isn't the cheapest around here).

I used xe.com to provide rough current currency conversions. Dollars are US dollars (sorry Canadians/Australians!)

I get bits when I need them aswell as doing a big shop once a month. I put between £10 and £20 a week.
I buy from the basics ragnes where I can to save a bit but do treat myself to the odd Vegan item (like Tescos cheese) which are a little pricey.

Food is very expensive overhere and I spend between €25 -€37 just for my-self. I do include my doggie's food in the price.
I usually go to discount stores every week. Once a month to the Hypermarket, once or twice to the organic shop for tofu, whole grain flours, rice etc and to the local farm for fruit and veg.

There are no vegan cheeses or mock meats expcept for Tofufurters which cost nearly €4 per pack. I don't buy ready meals and usually make many things from scratch including yogurt and bread.

Great thread Aery !:up:

I spend between $30 and $40 a week for me and my cat. Prices have gone up, so I have reduced the frequency of my purchases of special treats like Daiya cheese and non-dairy ice cream. I try to buy things on sale as well. Luckily, I make my own seitan and veggie burgers, so I don't have to buy the pricier mock meats.

I spend about $50 dollars a week just for myself, but that includes all of my meals, as I don't eat at restaurants at all.

I spend £30-£40 a week per person, usually £30 when I shop and £40 when he does, he buys lots more treats than me!

I don't really think this is a lot, it includes all toiletries, cleaning products, and house hold things (bin bags, loo roll, washing powder, etc). My omni fiance takes up a bigger proportion than me, especially as all of the meat he buys is free range... but we also cook a lot from scratch and use a big variety of ingredients including lots and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, including more exotic ones, and lots of cooking ingredients... spices, sauces, etc. So that costs more than buying ready-made cheaper food, but I think it's worth it to have a varied, interesting and healthy diet. It's not really something I skimp on, since I don't need to, I'd rather cut costs elsewhere. :)

I budget for around $100 (£63) per week for me, my husband, and five rabbits. This includes non-food items, but not the one or two times a week we eat out.

Lately we've been spending a little less, as I've reduced buying so many specialty vegan items and ready meals. Husband also switched from eating deli meat on his lunch sandwiches to eating Morningstar black bean burgers, which we can get in large packs at Costco. We're also drinking less soda, which has gotten to be quite expensive to buy in cans.

Some weeks we go over, if we need a lot of household items - laundry soap, dish soap, paper towels. I also like to stock up on things we use a lot if I find them on sale. Other weeks, the list is mostly rabbit veggies and we come in at about $50.

I buy a lot of store brands, and fresh produce, so while I love using coupons, it's rare to find ones I can actually use. I do the bulk of the shopping at Target, as I can get 5% off by paying with my Target card.
I get produce at a local chain store and bulk items from Costco.
Occasional trips to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's for specialty items.

Basic items are pretty inexpensive here, but specialty items (So Delicious creamer for my coffee, mock meats and cheeses, etc) are quite high.

I spend a fortune, about £120 a week for both of us and 8 animals, I think it must be about £40 for me. That doesn't include the extras like bottles of wine, takeaways and impulse buys if I see some lovely fresh fruit on a market stall or if I see a nice recipe on certain forums and I need to buy ingredients.:devil: If I added that up it probably would add up to another £20 for me at least.:oops:

I don't know really, because I am guilty of just buying things as I go. If I do a big shop & have lots of food available I get too excited & eat it all too quickly...then I have to buy more & it ends up more expensive. So I prefer to grab bits & pieces almost daily. It can't come to more than £15 a week though. Sometimes less? I only have myself to buy for! & I get things like lattes from coffee shops quite often. :)

Reactions: thefadedone
I was going to say the first option, but that is my stew for the week. I also cook dinner for the bf over the weekends. I spent like 5-10 at the produce stand for myself a week and 10-20 on weekend stuff.

I spend so much, I don't even want to add it up because i really can't afford it. I go to great produce stands and farmers markets for wonderful savings at least twice a week. We also have fruit trees in the yard, but i haven't planted a garden. There are four adults, 3 of us are vegan and my daughter happily eats vegan when at the house. My son eats mostly raw, and is very active and 19, so he eats a lot of produce. Everyone brings lunch to school/work, and we have friends of the offspring over often, and I feed everyone. Like Lord S says, I'm a feeder. And apparently a spender, looking at your totals!! :oops:

Reactions: thefadedone
Mine also includes most of this, as well as cat litter. Toiletries are usually bought separately, because we get most of them at lush and superdrug for their superior labelling.
Same here with regard to shampoos and such. I buy them separately from the grocery store, sometimes at Lush, sometimes online or at the drugstore.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
My husband uses the Whole Foods 365 brand shampoo and body wash, which we'll buy with groceries if we're there. Most of my toiletries are Lush, which I purchase separately.

My husband uses the Whole Foods 365 brand shampoo and body wash, which we'll buy with groceries if we're there. Most of my toiletries are Lush, which I purchase separately.
I will have to try that shampoo. Lush is pricey at times.

50 euro's (63 dollars), that's including cat food and her other needs, and stuff like toiletries and household items. This is a very expensive country to live in, it's not really possible to go below 50 euros a week. Speaking to other people I know I am by far the smartest shopper; no surprise because I have a very low income. But this is really the cheapes I can go here.

I don't buy luxury items at all and I still pay this much. Most single people I know spend at least 80 euros a week.

Oops... I assumed groceries just meant food.

I think it is meant to! But since I buy toiletries/house hold things at the same time as food, I can't really work out how much just the food costs. Some weeks a big chunk goes on non-food items, other weeks none of it does. We shop at different places each week (the Co-Op down the road, the big Sainsburys, or shopping online with either Tesco, Sainsburys or Ocado) so what we buy depends on where we feel like shopping!