US Pandemic Grocery Shopping

Urban Gardener

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
How's everyone doing with grocery shopping these days?

I live in an NYC neighborhood with one store that carries vegan products (tofu, tempeh, veggie burgers, vegan ice cream, etc). They're often out of things. Two weeks ago, I got tempeh and flavored baked tofu. This week, it was just Tofu Pups and plain tofu. There are also a few stores that sell vegan ice cream, and beans are easy to find.

I've been looking into ordering things like baked tofu online, but the options are dwindling and everything is getting more expensive.

I stocked up on nuts, fruit juice, garlic, rice and millet. I'm growing tomatoes, kale, collard greens, arugula, Swiss chard, spinach, carrots, basil and thyme. I have some canteloupe and watermelon seeds that haven't sprouted yet. I keep buying things in bulk online when it's not too expensive.

The press coverage of the current situation in the US is insufficient. There is a lot that's being left out. A lot of our news these days either under-reports or unsensationalizes or hyperfocuses on details, sometimes veering into conspiracy theory territory.

The fact is that New York grocery stores are experiencing product shortages. Prices are going up.

There's plenty of fresh produce, but since it's out in the open, being handled and brushed against by so many shoppers, how safe is it to eat? We don't know. This is a new virus, so we don't have, say, multiple peer-reviewed studies about how long it can remain viable and transmissable on the surface of an eggplant.

A lot of people in my part of the city seem to have a false sense of security right now because things are improving. The media is focusing on the declining death toll and medical advances. But we don't have a vaccine or a cure, and we don't know the extent to which past exposure protects us from reinfection. So it's still a dangerous situation.

I'll have vegetables to harvest before long. I also need to get a bag of beans and plant some of them. So much is unknown right now.

I hope things turn around. But I believe in preparing for the worst, and my plan is to become as self-sufficient as possible. I've been working on that for a long time pre-pandemic, but I believe it is even more important right now.

For a while, I was having trouble finding dry beans and lentils at the market, but recently I have been able to find them. Fresh produce shows good availability at the markets in Orange County, California. Cooking the vegetables will destroy any viruses.

I was having trouble initially finding vital wheat gluten, but I have bought 4 packages in the past couple of weeks. Still not a lot of paper goods, and Earth Balance baking sticks have been hard to come by. I bake a lot, and I'm down two pounds of it, so I will go on the hunt for it in a week or so. Earth Balance in the tub has been fine. Aldi has been out of the vegan mozzarella, but I'm not the hugest fan, so that isn't awful. I have used it in a pinch, though. I've noticed a lot of the vegan burgers and chik'n tenders are in short supply at Aldi (where I do the bulk of my shopping). Fresh produce has been a little tricky, but I have been going with whatever's available. Aldi had clementines but no oranges, so I went with the clementines. Farmers markets will be opening soon, so I'm hoping to get my vegetables that way, plus I'm going in on a CSA with a friend, but that doesn't start until June.

Here in Ohio I haven't noticed shortages, other than on/off yeast, and paper products. I'm not too optomistic
I recently ordered my usual 4 lb Anthonys vital wheat gluten from amazon- that scared me! Hoosier Hill still isn't available. Are people really making more seitan? Tofu I get from the Asian grocery, and other things. I stocked up very well on tempeh from my last Trader Joes trip
And, I have a very nice produce market
I've been sticking with Aldi, produce market and the Asian store

I know I need to grown greens and herbs if nothing else!

Ohhhh I meant to look into the CSA's

Here in Ohio I haven't noticed shortages, other than on/off yeast, and paper products. I'm not too optomistic
I recently ordered my usual 4 lb Anthonys vital wheat gluten from amazon- that scared me! Hoosier Hill still isn't available. Are people really making more seitan? Tofu I get from the Asian grocery, and other things. I stocked up very well on tempeh from my last Trader Joes trip
And, I have a very nice produce market
I've been sticking with Aldi, produce market and the Asian store

I know I need to grown greens and herbs if nothing else!

Ohhhh I meant to look into the CSA's
I wasn't going to do one because it's kind of pricey here, but my friend, who also lives solo, thought it would be good for us since that way no veggies would go to waste (not that they would with me, haha). So I think it will work out well once it starts.

I tried Imperfect Produce veg boxes and wasn't really happy with them. I never realized how awful beets could be until I got a bunch of golf ball sized woody ones :down:. Celery that had brown kinda yuck up the stems. Corn that was ....not good. All in all wasn't bad-most was just fine, but the bad really took away the value
And I do have a produce market.

I've had mixed experiences with CSA's too. The main problem for me is that even if all the food is good, you can wind up with more than you can eat. Sometimes, that's partly because they give you a lot of something that's hard to use up fast. Like what would I do with 20 onions? I'm sure there are answers, but I don't always have time for baking, making sauces, that kind of thing.

I think they work well if you have a group of people share one, or just friends who will take the extra onions for you!

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I've had mixed experiences with CSA's too. The main problem for me is that even if all the food is good, you can wind up with more than you can eat. Sometimes, that's partly because they give you a lot of something that's hard to use up fast. Like what would I do with 20 onions? I'm sure there are answers, but I don't always have time for baking, making sauces, that kind of thing.

I think they work well if you have a group of people share one, or just friends who will take the extra onions for you!

onion soup... yum... throw in some other veggies and potatoes too

Emma JC

Reactions: Urban Gardener
It's a really minor complaint, but I miss tempeh, baked tofu, and the kinds of veggie burgers that I like. The stores have run out. So have a lot of the web-based distributors.

As much as I say I don't like fake meat, I really like Amy's veggie burgers. They're hard to find now.

I was thinking about that and I remembered vegan chorizo from Trader Joe's! I want to go to one and see what they have. It would just mean a train ride, and they're still working on the train situation here (disinfecting them).

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I haven't been to my local Farmer's Market since it opened this spring. It's a nice walk too. it's outside so maybe i could just wear a mask and gloves and make sure I disinfect everything when i get home.

It's a really minor complaint, but I miss tempeh, baked tofu, and the kinds of veggie burgers that I like. The stores have run out. So have a lot of the web-based distributors.

As much as I say I don't like fake meat, I really like Amy's veggie burgers. They're hard to find now.

I was thinking about that and I remembered vegan chorizo from Trader Joe's! I want to go to one and see what they have. It would just mean a train ride, and they're still working on the train situation here (disinfecting them).

There are some amazing recipes out there for vegan burgers, black bean or black bean/sweet potato etc. You don't really even need a recipe, just saute some garlic and onions and whatever else you have around like bell peppers or jalapeno etc. For binder you can use leftover rice, or bread crumbs, or oats, put in all the spices you love, cooked potato, rinsed black beans (if you rinse them with warm water they mash easier) and then just smush (cooking term!) it all together, shape some burgers and bake them.

Emma JC

There are some amazing recipes out there for vegan burgers, black bean or black bean/sweet potato etc. You don't really even need a recipe, just saute some garlic and onions and whatever else you have around like bell peppers or jalapeno etc. For binder you can use leftover rice, or bread crumbs, or oats, put in all the spices you love, cooked potato, rinsed black beans (if you rinse them with warm water they mash easier) and then just smush (cooking term!) it all together, shape some burgers and bake them.

Emma JC

Yes! And I have made them at home before, but it's been a long time. Great suggestion.

Yes! And I have made them at home before, but it's been a long time. Great suggestion.

My fav thing to do is go and look at like 5 different recipes and then pick out all the items that I have and like and incorporate them. I end up with everything but the kitchen sink in the burger and yet they taste amazing and it uses up leftovers.

Emma JC

I ordered 2 lbs of tempeh from Amazon (yeah, I know . . . ). Apparently, it comes in 5 blocks. I plan to freeze 4 of them.

Tempeh's one of my favorite vegan foods. I need to learn how to make it from scratch.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I ordered 2 lbs of tempeh from Amazon (yeah, I know . . . ). Apparently, it comes in 5 blocks. I plan to freeze 4 of them.

Tempeh's one of my favorite vegan foods. I need to learn how to make it from scratch.
I remember you saying you don't have an oven--how about an Instant Pot? With yogurt function?
I've been wanting to try this, but getting tempeh at Trader Joes for $1.99 an (8 oz?) block I haven't m had enough motivation.

Reactions: Urban Gardener
I did a quick run at Fresh Thyme- first since this whole thing started, I've been relying on Aldi and a produce shop.
I got a great bunch of beets, and a watermelon. Their bulk stuff was all pre packaged and I obsessed over getting oat, or steel cut and didnt' get either
Not a lot of people had masks, not even employees! On the one hand it felt like old times, but then it also felt wrong :shrug:
People at my Aldi seem to take this far more seriously, and are more considerate of others.