What do you collect?

Poppy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So today I bought my third vintage typewriter since November, which I think probably makes me a collector. I really don't think of myself as a collector of anything - except maybe foster dogs, but I'm afraid I have crossed the line and am now officially a collector! Here's today's little gem (only $18!!)

What do you collect???

Royal HH.jpg

Those are pretty cool typewriters!

I collect motion picture soundtracks. The earliest movie score I have is Max Steiner's music for King Kong (1933.) Just today, I ordered the score by Miklós Rózsa to 1953's Knights Of The Round Table. I haven't counted, but I probably have 100 or more albums. I've been collecting for a long while.

Here's a mix I did of Maurice Jarre's music to Lawrence Of Arabia.

Reactions: ledboots and Poppy
:) Do you actually use the typewriters or just display them as decorations?

I'm fairly minimalist so I don't collect anything.:D My husband has a large collection of vinyl records and he also has comics. Some of the comics may be worth some money so I keep telling him to check their condition as he is "storing" them in his Mum's attic!:rolleyes:

That is an unusual collection Poppy, especially as they take up a lot of space. I learned to type on a similar model which makes me think that typing on a Mac is a breeze as you can delete, copy and paste and save as opposed to the old days.

I don't collect any specific items as I have little space. I should really try and declutter more regulary as I like rooms to have a minimalist look.

Cool typewriters!

I have collected stamps and coins in the past - still have my collections, but don't actively collect any more.

These days I only collect business cards for veg*n restaurants and similar.

Very awesome, Poppy! My father in law was a collector and he had given us one if those old manual Royal typewriters. I have to see where it ended up...probably the attic. He also collected clocks...the cool "cuckoo" type ones. I have several but we haven't taken them out of the box yet to see if we can get them working. I did give one to my daughter. She was able to take it apart and clean it and she got hers to work! I will ask her for a photo and then I'll check out the ones I have, even though it's technically, not my collection. It's more of a carryover from my FIL.

I like "stuff" in general. I have several bone china teacups that were given to me by an Aunt.

I used to collect music boxes...and the Christmas village houses...and decorative plates. But I gave a lot of stuff away.

Reactions: Poppy
Cool typewriters!

I have collected stamps and coins in the past - still have my collections, but don't actively collect any more.

These days I only collect business cards for veg*n restaurants and similar.

Who hasn't collected stamps ? I also had a collection when I was a tot. They may soon be a thing of the past as nobody writes anymore because of internet and cheap cell phone subscriptions.

I'm surprised that nobody has said ''junk'' !:D

I mostly stopped collecting things like tea cups and such, but I have tons of books, CDs and vinyl albums. I still have my little coin collection (I was into that for about three or fours years when I was a kid), but I haven't added to that in decades. I actually need to go minimalist, but I doubt that will happen with my music and books. :D

I "use" two of the three typewriters I have. The last one is not working, and was a steal at $18.00, so it's my plan to use it as my "learning" typer - if I take it all apart and cannot get it back together, oh well. The other two work quite well, after some cleaning and getting new ribbons. I use them to type shopping lists, quotes I find that I like, and I'm starting to use them to make cards. I like that they are useful, but I really love that they are beautiful.

I'm actually quite "minimalist" in my frame of mind, so having three typewriters is a little disconcerting to me at the moment. I've joined a FB group :rolleyes: and there are people who actually own MANY and have storage shelving units to contain them. That is not me. However, I think it might be quite fun to buy vintage typewriters, restore them and then sell them…we'll see!

Last edited:
Re: typewriters: Our previous letting agent used a typewriter for the letters she sent us. That was just a few years ago. She's an oldschool, Maggie Thatcher-type. (Edit: It's possible it was an electric typewriter. I wouldn't know how or if you can spot the difference just by looking at the letters.)

I collect quite a few things. CDs, DVDs, Vinyl, and books are my most "regular" collections, which husband and I share and expand together. We also have large collections of toys/figurines and lego, because we are giant children.

But perhaps the oddest one is my collection of rubber ducks. I have around 150.

(Edit: It's possible it was an electric typewriter. I wouldn't know how or if you can spot the difference just by looking at the letters.)

I would think that the uniformity of look of the letters (the pressure behind the keys striking the paper) would differ from an electric typewriter to a manual typewriter. Keys hit by the forefinger or middle finger would tend to have more pressure than keys hit with the pinkie finger on a manual typewriter. But the pressure on all keys would be uniform on an electric.

What makes a typewriter "vintage"? In other words, where do you draw the line between vintage and non-vintage?

If a typewriter is currently being manufactured, does that rule out it being vintage? I believe there are still a few manual typewriters being made for a niche market of people who want them.

I have a Smith-Corona electronic typewriter (not sure that Smith-Corona called it a typewriter;I think they called it a "personal word processor"). It was purchased in the early 90s sometime. You can save your text to a floppy disk. Text can be converted to a Word Perfect file and used on your computer.

I mainly use it for typing envelopes (I've never learned how to print envelopes on a computer printer), filling in forms (although I just learned how to do this on a computer, i.e., forms as PDF files), and a few other oddball things.

Last edited: