What did you Cook or Bake Today?

On my list for today: tofu chocolate mousse, hummus, chocolate-covered mixed berry bites and cabbage potato soup.
Do you use melted choco chips for the mousse, or cocoa? Last time I made it way too rich, but it's usually a fave of mine

I'm gonna make the whole wheat bread now!
Thinking of something to have it with, I guess a soup would be good

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
Since I bought Bobs RedMill stone ground wheat flour I used their recipe, verbatin- well maybe closer to 1/2 cup vwg-
Can't believe how light and soft this is! I don't think I've even done all wheat and had it come out fluffy

I don't have any vital wheat gluten - do you think it is imperative?

I just looked up alternatives and I may have some psyllium husk powder that is sitting around somewhere, I also have some Just Egg liquid that I could add if needed. What do you think? I find it interesting that there is no sugar involved to help activate the yeast.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I just looked up alternatives and I may have some psyllium husk powder that is sitting around somewhere, I also have some Just Egg liquid that I could add if needed. What do you think? I find it interesting that there is no sugar involved to help activate the yeast.

Emma JC

Wheat gluten provides more protein when making bread. I often add a tlb spoon or two into the flour when making ww bread. You don't need liquid egg when making
a bread loaf. I also never add sugar when making yeast dough. It doesn't help activate yeast but will slightly change the flavour and colour
of the bread. However, I often add vitamin C to help activate the dough if I'm in a hurry or if making whole wheat bread.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
On my list for today: tofu chocolate mousse, hummus, chocolate-covered mixed berry bites and cabbage potato soup.
I made none of this yesterday, lol. Got waylaid by phone calls and work stuff. Oh well, today I should be able to get all of this made. And I'm adding tofu bacon to the list. Food prep day!

Do you use melted choco chips for the mousse, or cocoa? Last time I made it way too rich, but it's usually a fave of mine

I'm gonna make the whole wheat bread now!
Thinking of something to have it with, I guess a soup would be good
I use both actually. I think a tablespoon of cocoa and half a cup of melted chocolate, though I can't be sure of the actual measurements. Sometimes I just taste-test it and don't always measure. :)

Reactions: silva

Emma JC
Well, bread flour is a higher protein flour, so adding some vwg to all purpose flour is pretty much the same. The typical proportion is 1 Tblsp vwg to one cup flour. I always have vwg, so I add to any bread I make, and it seems to improve the texture
While my loaf was baking I read up on whole wheat flour breads, and found that the included bran can interfere with gluten development.
I must say, I did a lot of what that site said to avoid! In the past I've had lots of problems with ww breads being dense. This time it came out very light and soft. Too soft really! I added like 2 Tbls per cup. I also used my Kitchen Aide mixer with dough hook, because I have one. I let it rise twice, then again in the loaf pans
We both seemed to have success dough!

Was yours at least kinda chewy? That's something I missed

One thing that site did talk about was the importance of hydration with WW

Reactions: Emma JC
My kitchen tools do make me happy! Each one has it's own story. My Vitamix and Breville food processor I got off fb marketplace like new. My Instant Pot that's now 9 years old and still my cooking method of choice. My Kitchen Aide I bought when my kids were really little and while it was a great sale, I felt it was such a decadent purchase!
I really do feel happy when I'm putzing around the kitchen

I'm cooking kidney beans and lentils for a Dal Makhani kind of thing.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Was yours at least kinda chewy? That's something I missed

One thing that site did talk about was the importance of hydration with WW

Thank you for the info - chewy? hmmm as it is really dense I guess you could call that chewy - almost as dense as a fruit cake, without the fruit...

I do have powdered Vit C so maybe I will try that next time. @shyvas

Emma JC

Thank you for the info - chewy? hmmm as it is really dense I guess you could call that chewy - almost as dense as a fruit cake, without the fruit...

I do have powdered Vit C so maybe I will try that next time. @shyvas

Emma JC
I meant more like having a little stretch, a bit like a good pizza dough I guess?
I remember making ww bread years back it always seemed to be dense, and not rise enough. I think the vwg with the flour really helps it rise and have a light crumb.
First time hearing vit C helps the yeast!

My kitchen tools do make me happy! Each one has it's own story. My Vitamix and Breville food processor I got off fb marketplace like new. My Instant Pot that's now 9 years old and still my cooking method of choice. My Kitchen Aide I bought when my kids were really little and while it was a great sale, I felt it was such a decadent purchase!
I really do feel happy when I'm putzing around the kitchen

I'm cooking kidney beans and lentils for a Dal Makhani kind of thing.
Same! I love tinkering with recipes and experimenting and generally having fun cooking and baking. It's relaxing.

Cole slaw and jackfruit seitan ribz.
I need to try cooking with jackfruit again. I was watching YT yesterday ( I watch so much YT!) and a vegan couple were making BBQ jackfruit, coleslaw and cauliflower rice. It looked really nice, although I prefer proper rice a lot more.

• Friendly
I have some falafels that my pal gave me the other day. I didn't want to offend her so I bought them back home. Moreover, food is
far too expensive to throw out.👍
I'm
going to make a kind of one pot (IP) stew with added red lentils, onions, passata, sp, mushrooms with loads of smoked
paprika to try and mask the overpowering taste of cumin.

However, from experience, you can't really balance out it's earthy taste.

I need to try cooking with jackfruit again. I was watching YT yesterday ( I watch so much YT!) and a vegan couple were making BBQ jackfruit, coleslaw and cauliflower rice. It looked really nice, although I prefer proper rice a lot more.

Love, love jackfruit. I made a curry (Madras style) the other day, and it tasted fabulous.

I made a pie for "pi" day! It is a no-bake and super easy. I veganized a favorite lemon pie that my mother used to make. All it is is the juice of 2 lemons, sweetened condensed milk and Cool Whip in a graham cracker crust. I used coconut milk condensed milk, and vegan Tru Whip and I used 3 lemons because the coconut milk tasted a bit like coconut and I wanted more lemon. It is almost exactly the same as the original!

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and Raven