What did you Cook or Bake Today?

I am now a bread baker. It took stupid high prices of good breads for me to get to this point, am now I will declare I am making all the breads
I have made a wonderful whole wheat bread
Rye bread
and just now a white potato bread at my sons request
...no sourdough though

Also have a kinda corned beefy seitan simmering. I'll never know :shrug: . I used to love corned beef so much, but have zero clue what flavor I'm missing

I am making my hub some espresso brownies. I hope they turn out well. Sometimes the brownies are not so good.
I agree on brownies. I've yet to really find a vegan recipe that I actually like.

I made buffalo seitan nuggets yesterday along with ranch dressing. I think today I will make zucchini cakes and freeze them.

Reactions: KLS52
I stopped making brownies because I'm so bad at it. Even in my dairy/egg days they never came out right, whether it be from scratch or box mix. 😞
Agreed. I've had what were called vegan brownies that were ok, but I have never had what I felt deserved to be called brownies. Kinda like gluten free seitan, or chickpea tofu!
I loved brownie mixes. No sub for egg made them what I like--tofu, starch, beans, chickpea flour, aquafaba, flaxseeds....

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I agree on brownies. I've yet to really find a vegan recipe that I actually like.

I made buffalo seitan nuggets yesterday along with ranch dressing. I think today I will make zucchini cakes and freeze them.
I made the zucchini cakes today. :) I used up the last of the free zucchini we got from our friend's garden. Out of all the zucchini, we made 6 zucchini breads, 4 dozen zucchini banana chocolate chip muffins and 2 dozen zucchini cakes. A very good haul, for sure.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
for the first time I made a pot of pinto beans, not in the crock pot, and what a difference! I soaked them overnight with a large pinch of baking soda and then boiled them on the stove for about an hour and half - they are creamy with still a bit of a bite in the skin... can't wait to make soup and also some refried bean burritos or dip from them - I may never buy canned beans again (at least pinto)

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
for the first time I made a pot of pinto beans, not in the crock pot, and what a difference! I soaked them overnight with a large pinch of baking soda and then boiled them on the stove for about an hour and half - they are creamy with still a bit of a bite in the skin... can't wait to make soup and also some refried bean burritos or dip from them - I may never buy canned beans again (at least pinto)

Emma JC
Instant Pot even better :ignore:
I should check if I have more pintos, I love a good pinto bean soup.

I made a carrot cake- last time I tried a vegan recipe I wasn't fond of it, but this time it's really good! I guess I don't remember what the difference would be-reg recipe had 4 eggs :neutral:. I used crushed pineapple.

Instant Pot even better :ignore:
I should check if I have more pintos, I love a good pinto bean soup.

I made a carrot cake- last time I tried a vegan recipe I wasn't fond of it, but this time it's really good! I guess I don't remember what the difference would be-reg recipe had 4 eggs :neutral:. I used crushed pineapple.
Pineapple instead of the eggs?!??

Pineapple instead of the eggs?!??
Yes, although the recipe I went with called for 2 flax eggs--others used either applesauce or crushed pineapple.
Cakes like this I never find a problem leaving eggs out--surprised me to find them calling for 4!
It also had baking soda in dry/vinegar in wet

Gonna make another crusty bread in my dutch oven, as well as a bean soup
I make many variations of bean soup, but they're always super easy and require no recipe. I'm watching Americas test kitchen make bean soup and they so overcomplicate things, at least IMO. I do wish I had fresh parsley & chives

I made more lentil/quinoa burgers. I'm seriously hooked.
I'm also using some of the mix to stuff some peppers. They were outstanding last time I made them.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
made another pot of beans yesterday - combined 2 cups of pinto with 1 cup of navy beans - I put extra water as I like using the liquid in the soup - I let them cool then drained and kept the liquid and some of the beans in the fridge to make soup tonight and froze two containers of the drained beans for future bean burritos or bean dip - I see that canned beans are on sale again this week for $1.25 so I will likely pick up a few of those again too - love beans!

Emma JC

@KLS52 -- how do you spread PB on a tray of halved dates? 🤔
I've done this by blending dates and I think oat flour as the base, real good!

I just made a recipe I'd saved for a long time, with high hopes of it being the same--condensed cream soup
I so miss the Campbells canned mushroom gravy that happened to be vegan- in Canada now as Franco American

It's - good- but it also screams healthy, and of course tastes just like the ingredients, lentils and cashews (and disappointment :pensive:)