What Did You Cook or Bake today?

I made four batches of pesto.

I am going to try to go today and buy more of those large pots of basil plants for $7 and make a few batches two. I freeze it in ice cube trays then store in ziploc bags in the freezer.

Emma JC

Reactions: Val
Gave in and made a vegan mayo, the usual soy milk, lemon juice, and sloooooooowly adding oil as the immersion blender got hotter and hotter.
I didn't time it, but I took a long time with the drizzle!
It did come out very good- I read adding ground mustard helps with the emulsion
I had cooked some yellow potatoes and have the works for a tater salad
I may cook some chickpeas for a sandwich spread now

Ya know, when you really start to visualize the things you eat it --well really it's just sad, not so much to stop me, but anyway.... knowing the jar of mayo is nothing but oil. I would never use a Tblsp of oil in a serving of anything, but easily would eat it as fluffed up mayo. I think I only had a teaspoon in my bowl of potato salad though, that's all I made

I am going to try to go today and buy more of those large pots of basil plants for $7 and make a few batches two. I freeze it in ice cube trays then store in ziploc bags in the freezer.

Emma JC
That's a great way to store the pesto. I uses half-cup ziploc containers, but I might try your method instead.

Reactions: Emma JC
A big stir-fry of tofu, baby corns, watercress, and lots of fresh spinach, with a tiny bit of oil and maybe 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. I intentionally made it without seasonings so I can eat it for about 3 meals with different seasonings according to mood.

I ate a portion of it with scallions, gomasio, soy sauce, and rice vinegar.

Ya know, when you really start to visualize the things you eat it --well really it's just sad, not so much to stop me, but anyway.... knowing the jar of mayo is nothing but oil. I would never use a Tblsp of oil in a serving of anything, but easily would eat it as fluffed up mayo. I think I only had a teaspoon in my bowl of potato salad though, that's all I made

Many cultures of people use oils in cooking or as flavoring. It is not "sad."

I'm marinating dried pitted prune pieces in a cup of hot earl grey tea with orange peel overnight. I'm excited to try this tomorrow morning in a bowl of oatmeal along with cinnamon, maple syrup, and plain coconut yogurt. I'm gonna have gourmet oats.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I excitedly purchased some Butler Soy Curls after learning they were not just TVP re-packaged. Fortunately, I only fully prepared 1/4 of the bag, because I used way too much seasoning lol. Live and learn!

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I excitedly purchased some Butler Soy Curls after learning they were not just TVP re-packaged. Fortunately, I only fully prepared 1/4 of the bag, because I used way too much seasoning lol. Live and learn!

just a reminder that it is best to store Soy Curls in the freezer if you aren't using them up fairly quickly... they stay much fresher (even unopened)

Emma JC

just a reminder that it is best to store Soy Curls in the freezer if you aren't using them up fairly quickly... they stay much fresher (even unopened)

Emma JC

Thank you for the info! I should eat them pretty soon. I over-seasoned the first batch so nibbled on them slowly throughout the day, my roommate had some and said it "tasted like a biscuit" (I'm guessing one of those restaurant biscuits that have rosemary and stuff on them???), and then today I figured it out. I just hydrated the soy curls in a some vegan chkn broth for 10-15 minutes, and pan fried them in a spoonful or two of coconut milk instead of oil. It was like eating scrambled eggs, but better! I see all sorts of possibilities for the soy curls now, I really like them, and I've learned that less is more. They really didn't need all that breading and spices I used the first time.

Reactions: Emma JC and Val
yes, I soak them and squeeze them out then just add a bit of sweet chili sauce or hoison sauce or a teriyaki sauce in the frying pan - as you say, no need for oil as there is a lot of moisture in them (BBQ sauce would work also)

Emma JC

I made a Tuscan Bean soup from a package (it contained a lot of different kinds of beans and dehydrated veggies, and spices), just had to add an onion.

It wasn't very good. I'm going to get the ingredients and try this making it from "scratch".

Reactions: Emma JC
I bought 4 delicata squash today, and just roasted one. I really hate the other winter squashes I've tried- butternut and acorn I can eat, spaghetti squash is horrid.
It took me a while to figure out what this tasted like- it tastes, and has the texture of roasted chestnuts! I haven't baked those in years as they're just too fussy, and expensive.
I like this

I made a Tuscan Bean soup from a package (it contained a lot of different kinds of beans and dehydrated veggies, and spices), just had to add an onion.

It wasn't very good. I'm going to get the ingredients and try this making it from "scratch".

Turns out it is 100% better after it's been reheated. And I should mention it smells great.

my honey is currently making a huge pot of chili.... yum, it's been a while since we made it so there will be lots for the freezer too

Emma JC

Reactions: Forest Nymph