What Did You Cook or Bake today?

I'm baking nachos today for my guests. We're having a small get together, so I thought vegan nachos would work for everyone to snack on.

I'm going to prep some Beyond ground into taco meat in a little while. Then I have all the veggie trimmings to top the nachos with. I don't serve my nachos with queso sauce. I think that's a Mexi-American thing, I am not sure, but I will make a fresh guacamole and salsa from scratch to serve with the nachos. I much prefer my own rather than store bought. I will use store bought vegan sour cream though, but that's it.

It's funny, we all know vegan cheeses just aren't as authentic in flavour as real non-vegan cheeses are, which as vegans we have all come to accept. However, for some reason vegan cheese works amazingly well on nachos. It melts nicely on the chips and has a very nice cheesy flavour. I am confident my guests won't nitpick that it's vegan food.

Right now I have the cashews soaking and the yogurt in the fridge ready to finally make this recipe for mozzerella!
Every one I've tried, that didn't have ingredients like lactic acid or kappa carrageenan, was either so bland, or tasted of garlic and herbs and just sticky
I now know how to use agar, so I'm hopeful for nice slicing mozzerella that sound taste like what I would expect!
Will review in a day or two! :chef:

I'm baking nachos today for my guests. We're having a small get together, so I thought vegan nachos would work for everyone to snack on.

I'm going to prep some Beyond ground into taco meat in a little while. Then I have all the veggie trimmings to top the nachos with. I don't serve my nachos with queso sauce. I think that's a Mexi-American thing, I am not sure, but I will make a fresh guacamole and salsa from scratch to serve with the nachos. I much prefer my own rather than store bought. I will use store bought vegan sour cream though, but that's it.

It's funny, we all know vegan cheeses just aren't as authentic in flavour as real non-vegan cheeses are, which as vegans we have all come to accept. However, for some reason vegan cheese works amazingly well on nachos. It melts nicely on the chips and has a very nice cheesy flavour. I am confident my guests won't nitpick that it's vegan food.

Right? I don't care whether things are "just like", I want them 'good', and similar enough to invoke the memory!
I made this recipe-didn't culture that long though, maybe more like 13 hours? Anyway, I had 3 people say it tasted JUST like sour cream! Texture was thick, more like a thick cream chese. I didn't even think of it that way since I sub soy yogurt when I want sour cream, but when they said it, I was like "yeah! that's sour cream!"
I did half the recipe-

I'm going to try again with the much cheaper raw sunflower seeds!

Right? I don't care whether things are "just like", I want them 'good', and similar enough to invoke the memory!
I made this recipe-didn't culture that long though, maybe more like 13 hours? Anyway, I had 3 people say it tasted JUST like sour cream! Texture was thick, more like a thick cream chese. I didn't even think of it that way since I sub soy yogurt when I want sour cream, but when they said it, I was like "yeah! that's sour cream!"
I did half the recipe-

I'm going to try again with the much cheaper raw sunflower seeds!

Hmm, interesting. I might give that a try. Thanks for sharing!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Right now I have the cashews soaking and the yogurt in the fridge ready to finally make this recipe for mozzerella!
Every one I've tried, that didn't have ingredients like lactic acid or kappa carrageenan, was either so bland, or tasted of garlic and herbs and just sticky
I now know how to use agar, so I'm hopeful for nice slicing mozzerella that sound taste like what I would expect!
Will review in a day or two! :chef:
I've been having these mostly in salads, and they reminded me of the taste of blue cheese bit's! This really isn't that much like mozzerella, but, it is closer to the mozz youd get at an Italian deli- more squishy than sliceable (at least that's my take-I could be very wrong)
I will be making again

BTW- Telephone agar is $2.50 for a pack, and surprisingly less on amazon!

A big Instant Pot of beans cooking for baked beans- like American style, sweet and spicey! I got a pack of Aldi hot dogs to slice into some of them later
I'm going to make baked beans this week, too. I haven't had them in ages, and I'm craving them.

Today I have made Italian dressing, and right now I have beets roasting in the solar oven. I'm going to try making seitan in the solar oven after the beets. I don't want to turn on the oven in this heat even with the AC on. It still gets too hot.

I'm going to make baked beans this week, too. I haven't had them in ages, and I'm craving them.

Today I have made Italian dressing, and right now I have beets roasting in the solar oven. I'm going to try making seitan in the solar oven after the beets. I don't want to turn on the oven in this heat even with the AC on. It still gets too hot.
The seitan came out great! It took about half an hour longer, but it even browned the way it does in my regular oven. So happy! I'm going to get it crispy by grilling it outside along with some yellow squash.