What Did You Cook or Bake today?

and the morning favourite - homefries ... when I boiled potatoes for mashed or colcannon etc, I try to do a couple of extra to put with onions and garlic and peppers etc for homefries for a weekend breakfast

Emma JC
I've made the most delicious colcannon just throwing things together. The next time it wasn't so good and I can't decipher why. Do you have any tips?
I'm off to the store for more sourdough bread just for the seitan. I really missed sandwiches!
Really, really, bummed I can't get good vegan mayo at a decent price :pout:. I want a reuben!

I've made the most delicious colcannon just throwing things together. The next time it wasn't so good and I can't decipher why. Do you have any tips?
I'm off to the store for more sourdough bread just for the seitan. I really missed sandwiches!
Really, really, bummed I can't get good vegan mayo at a decent price :pout:. I want a reuben!

Here is the link to the first time I made it Colcannon - Irish recipe

In subsequent posts I added parsnip and turnip in with the potates.

Emma JC

Reactions: silva and Raven
@SuicideBlonde Outstanding! I love how thick it is-it's been years since I've made pumpkin pie, and probably with silken tofu, which wasn't great...

I have lentil soup with all the veggies cooking in IP, and a buckwheat quick bread in oven for breakfests
I also made another rice cheese as the first was so good we finished it :lick:

I made carrot hot dogs yesterday which were not a success! :fp: :D I did find hot dog buns labelled as vegan in a local shop, though.

I'm making a Mexican bean dip later. I want to buy some tortilla chips.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
It’s funny, because when I’m craving a cheesy taste, nutritional yeast mixed with vegan butter somehow does the trick for me. Some thing about the buttery taste. I use the combination on pasta and vegetables. I did the carrot potato thing once and while it was tasty enough, it didn’t work as a cheese sauce. My favorite is making a cheese sauce with cashews, nutritional yeast and butter.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
It’s funny, because when I’m craving a cheesy taste, nutritional yeast mixed with vegan butter somehow does the trick for me. Some thing about the buttery taste. I use the combination on pasta and vegetables. I did the carrot potato thing once and while it was tasty enough, it didn’t work as a cheese sauce. My favorite is making a cheese sauce with cashews, nutritional yeast and butter.

I really like cashew cream and use it quite a lot. However, it doesn't taste anything like cheese. I also do find that cheese and cheese dishes taste really different in the US compared to over here.:)

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
I really like cashew cream and use it quite a lot. However, it doesn't taste anything like cheese. I also do find that cheese and cheese dishes taste really different in the US compared to over here.:)
I’m sure. Aren’t the French known for their cheeses? I play a word game on my phone and one of the questions, yesterday, was about France and their cheeses and wine. 😊

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I’m sure. Aren’t the French known for their cheeses? I play a word game on my phone and one of the questions, yesterday, was about France and their cheeses and wine. 😊

I actually meant Europe compared to the US.

The UK (apparently) has more cheeses compared to France. As with regards to wine, I see far more Brits drinking wine compared to
the French.

More than half of the 5,000 cheeses entered in this year’s International Cheese Awards, held in Nantwich, Cheshire, were from Britain.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
I just made another cashew cheesecake, this time using lime juice, and, some lemon-lime packet of Kool-aid. It's so good out of the blender, can't wait till it's chilled
I just realized i didn't add any nooch, it called for a little bit, I think I'll be glad I left it out! First time was just plain and it was very very plain.
I never used Kool-aid as a flavor- I looked for the powdered Just Lime, but they only had lemon. I'd like to try different flavors, like raspberry next

ETA: I must have used more agar than last time because it's quite dense. Not really as much lime flavor as I'd like- I think next I'll sub most of the water with lime juice, not try Kool-aid!

Last edited:
I made potato salad. I never would have thought of using Koolaid as a flavoring! I haven't bought Koolaid in decades!
What kind do you make? Creamy, or vinegary?
I dont' think they sell Just Mayo anymore-I looked at Marcs, Giant Eagle, Fresh Thyme, and even Dollar Tree cause they used to sell small jars. I did get Earth Balance Mindful mayo, and that's pretty good. It was $3.50 for a 16 oz--Just used to be that for 24 oz. Oh well, better than the crazy prices for others I don't like as much. Fresh Thyme has their own brand and it's over $6!!!