What Are Your Favorite Picnic Foods?

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
The weather's warmer. Time to enjoy the outdoors. What's in your basket?

Chickpea salad sandwiches
Eggless egg salad
Potato salad
Spinach dip
Watermelon
Brownies
Strawberry limeade

There's a wildlife centre near me, and me and my fiance go at every chance we get with a picnic. We usually take any of the following (not everything at once though!):

-salad (usually pasta)
-sandwiches (peanut butter/marmite/veg*n meats)
-crisps
-juice/water
-cakes
-biscuits
-veg*n sausage rolls or cocktail sausages
-fruit
-nuts
-hummus with dippers (carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, etc)
-cereal bars
-sweets

Reactions: sallyomally
Chickpea salad sandwiches
Pasta salad with mushrooms, tomatoes and olives (made with a vinaigrette dressing because the chickpea salad is made with vegan mayo)
Grilled asparagus spears
Fruit salad
Brownies
Mint iced tea, unsweetened

Reactions: sallyomally
Falafel for sure. Any kind of salad (tossed, pasta, bean/lentil) I also like making non-traditional wraps and burritos with Indian curries, and the like.

There is a wildlife centre near me too. My friend and I are planning to go soon. I suggested we take a picnic, Ima make a hellish Vegan one. If we are going to be among the animals, why the heck should our lunch be the result of suffering.
She liked my Vegan food before and this thread has some great ideas for picnic stuff.

I havent been on a picnic for years.

There is a wildlife centre near me too. My friend and I are planning to go soon. I suggested we take a picnic, Ima make a hellish Vegan one. If we are going to be among the animals, why the heck should our lunch be the result of suffering.
She liked my Vegan food before and this thread has some great ideas for picnic stuff.

I havent been on a picnic for years.

Which one are you going to (if that's not nosey?)
We always take totally vegan picnics with us when we go for the same reason. There are little cares and places to buy food, and we always end up talking about how it's so weird that they barely have any vegetarian food, and no vegan food, seeing as they care so amazingly about wild animals and even have some animals that can be considered 'livestock'. But I guess they're just providing what people will buy in order to support their charity.

Its called Rainton Meadows http://www.durhamwt.co.uk/visitors-centres-2/rainton-meadows/
I couldnt find a link with pictures :(

It is a little weird. i find people that actively seek to help -certain- animals and still eat meat and/or dairy an odd bunch.
Its different to someone say giving up animal tested cosmetics and still eating meat, because Wildlife trusts seeks to help animals. If that makes sence.

Any ideas for a vegan candlelit picnic? first date w/ a girl i've known for a while. I was going to make some pasta salad since she loves pasta, then maybe some strawberries and chocolate. She's not the vegan, I am, so want to bring foods she's familiar with. Just need some good weather now, too much rain!

Oooo good ideas here. My wedding is going to be a casual picnic for about 20 people. It's going to be a salad/sandwich bar with plenty of fresh herbs, dolmas (I think), pink lemonade and lemon poppyseed cupcakes. Maybe popsicles, too.

Reactions: Amy SF and PTree15
Mmmm, lemon poppy seed cupcakes!
I love falafel, any kind of salad (especially pasta and potato salads), corn on the cob (I will eat it cold, even), chickpea salad sandwiches, lots of pickles, watermelon.

I love picnic foods! Bring on the potato salad! :D

Coleslaw with vegan mayo dressing?

I have a suggestion. Many many years ago, my mother had a lot of cabbage to use up, so she thought of making coleslaw with it. But she didn't like the traditional mayo dressing one uses for coleslaw. She hit on using the same kind of oil and vinegar dressing she used for regular tossed green salad. It turned out to be a hit with the whole family, so every time she made coleslaw thereafter, she used that kind of dressing. Oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder and ginger powder. You could add perhaps a few chili flakes if you like it spicy. (For my mother, the ginger powder was spicy enough.)