Music What are you listening to now?

I hadn't heard about it before, because i'm not a big fan of them,- i only listen to their songs when they are played on the radio, but look at this.👇😵 The manner that they had to apologize in is just humiliating. I'm sorry if it hurts anyone's feelings, but i find it very wrong: having to apologize for the crime that you've never committed (and it won't ever end, it will be repeating itself on and on). My opinion is very unpopular, but i can't imagine that something like this could happen to me: to apologize for only who i am (again!). Believe me, i HAD to do it for some period of time in the past, and it left bruises inside of me. I also had to betray my most strong values and beliefs in order just to survive. The given society is very very sick, and apologies are not going to help it in any way. Positive, constructive actions would help, but as soon as nothing is being done, and people are forced to fight with each other,- changing the names of brands and group names, and personal humiliation won't do any good to it.
I repeat, i don't justify the horrible injustice that was being done to black people during a very long time, but i'm against the harm that is being done to innocent people nowadays, while they are not responsible for the crime. Tbh, it hurts me.🥺

I think you are reading too much into it. They said they were embarrassed "they didn't take the word's implications into consideration sooner". NOT that they used the word without knowing its implications - but that they didn't figure it out (for 14 years). My guess is that they may not have understood the implications of the word "Antebellum". I think its easy to think of it as just another word for "southern". But the literal definition for the word is "before the war". But the common usage refers to the time before the civil war. Which does imply a time period when there is slavery. Anyway, i can forgive them for not understanding the implication of the word. I think it would be easy to overlook. They may have even had someone explain it to them and they might have just thought something like, "well, no one thinks that". And probably they were right. But it this time of heightened awareness, I think they did the right thing.

I think it's very similar to the confederate flag. A lot of southerners flew that flag cause they were proud of being southerners. but when it was pointed out that it means more than that and is associated with slavery and racism - they took the flag down. Well, the racists put up a fuss but everyone else did it.

I have never been a fan of Lady Antebellum in the first place but I do respect that they changed their name. However, as far as bands go these guys are not really good at names. "Lady A" is the name of a singer. And she is ****** that they didn't ask her for permission. There will probably be a lawsuit.

_Lady Antebellum Is Now 'Lady A.' But So Is a Blues Singer Who's Used the Name for 20 Years

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
I really like that song. It's the only one I know of theirs.

I wondered why they had that name.
I also like their song "Ocean". And of course, when i hear songs on the radio, i rarely look at the cover in my app and rarely tend to find out what the group's name is. I find their name weird too. But i also find it weird when a group has to change their name under pressure of some unhappy circumstances. The name is really weird though...

Hey! what about the Dixie Chicks?
Exactly.:yes: According to this logic, almost every group should be renamed: if to dig deeper, one can find something compromising anywhere. What is more, people should be renamed too. And i'm among those who should be renamed at the first place: my name is Roman, and Romans did what?? - That's right, Romans owned slaves, a lot of slaves. Also, i come from nobles, and that's a double offence. My ancestors weren't that kind of old nobles who owned someone, who descended from Peter the great, from the very beginning. But nobles still owned serfs and kholops, and serfdom is a bad thing. So, it appears to be, my whole existence is a threat to others because of these 2 reasons, and who knows how many else.

Exactly.:yes: According to this logic, almost every group should be renamed: if to dig deeper, one can find something compromising anywhere. What is more, people should be renamed too. And i'm among those who should be renamed at the first place: my name is Roman, and Romans did what?? - That's right, Romans owned slaves, a lot of slaves. Also, i come from nobles, and that's a double offence. My ancestors weren't that kind of old nobles who owned someone, who descended from Peter the great, from the very beginning. But nobles still owned serfs and kholops, and serfdom is a bad thing. So, it appears to be, my whole existence is a threat to others because of these 2 reasons, and who knows how many else.

Um. that is taking it too far.

• Agree
Reactions: Val
Brent Mydland (October 21, 1952 – July 26, 1990) was an American keyboardist, vocalist, and songwriter. He was a member of The Grateful Dead from 1979 to 1990, a longer tenure than any other keyboardist in the band.

Brett died 30 years ago today. RIP

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I download a lot of British tele like watched all 18 seasons of Heartbeat, they always played sound hits from the era, now watching season 6 of Endeavour and episode 3 starts with Roy Orbison's In Dreams.

Last edited by a moderator: