Music What are you listening to now?

Reactions: Lou
What is the story with this music video. And what does it have to do with football?

''Gerry and the Pacemakers singer Gerry Marsden, whose version of You'll Never Walk Alone became a football terrace anthem for his hometown club of Liverpool, has died at the age of 78.''

BBC

''Gerry and the Pacemakers singer Gerry Marsden, whose version of You'll Never Walk Alone became a football terrace anthem for his hometown club of Liverpool, has died at the age of 78.''

BBC
Who are the people in the video? are they football fans? Liverpoolers? Friends of the band? all of the above?
The old couple and the female boxer don't seem to fit. Maybe you have to be from Liverpool to get it.

"Football terrace anthem". what is that? It doesn't seem like a good song to sing at a game - too sad. We Will Rock You is a good anthem. Even Jump Around is better. :)

Who are the people in the video? are they football fans? Liverpoolers? Friends of the band? all of the above?
The old couple and the female boxer don't seem to fit. Maybe you have to be from Liverpool to get it.

"Football terrace anthem". what is that? It doesn't seem like a good song to sing at a game - too sad. We Will Rock You is a good anthem. Even Jump Around is better. :)

I've not watched this particulier video but GM has many where he is filmed with Liverpool fans. A FTA is an anthem that a club chooses and usually is sang before the match.

Perhaps some may prefer WWRY & JA but it would seem that many other clubs prefer YNWA. I don't think that there is any point them all having the same song as each and every clubs want's to stand out.

You'll Never Walk Alone is perhaps the most famous song in football, and is heard before kick-off at every Liverpool match at Anfield.
It has travelled around the world as the Reds have toured Europe and even further afield as five-time European champions.
But how did it become such a huge part of the club's identity?

• Love
I've not watched this particulier video but GM has many where he is filmed with Liverpool fans. A FTA is an anthem that a club chooses and usually is sang before the match.

Perhaps some may prefer WWRY & JA but it would seem that many other clubs prefer YNWA. I don't think that there is any point them all having the same song as each and every clubs want's to stand out.

You'll Never Walk Alone is perhaps the most famous song in football, and is heard before kick-off at every Liverpool match at Anfield.
It has travelled around the world as the Reds have toured Europe and even further afield as five-time European champions.
But how did it become such a huge part of the club's identity?

That article was very informative. Still might need a key to the people in the music video.
also don't know what WWRY & JA is(are)?*

I'm also going to have to read up on the Hillsborough Disaster. although it probably explains why a sad song is a football anthem.

In the phrase "Football terrace anthem", what does the word Terrace mean? come to think of it, in my reading of English mystery novels, i have seen the word terrace come up too. I thought it was architectural, but maybe it has an additional meaning.

Here in America, some teams have adopted songs. Maybe the most famous (or irritating, depending on your point of view) is the Jump Around at Wisconsin University (Madison). Going on 20 years, fans have been jumping around before each Badgers game.

* Please don't tell me JA stands for Jump Around.

That article was very informative. Still might need a key to the people in the music video.
also don't know what WWRY & JA is(are)?*

I'm also going to have to read up on the Hillsborough Disaster. although it probably explains why a sad song is a football anthem.

In the phrase "Football terrace anthem", what does the word Terrace mean? come to think of it, in my reading of English mystery novels, i have seen the word terrace come up too. I thought it was architectural, but maybe it has an additional meaning.

Here in America, some teams have adopted songs. Maybe the most famous (or irritating, depending on your point of view) is the Jump Around at Wisconsin University (Madison). Going on 20 years, fans have been jumping around before each Badgers game.

* Please don't tell me JA stands for Jump Around.

It's a term for a song/words sung at a football match. Why terrace? I would assume that it's due to the fact that there are fans sitting aligned like a terrace or in a row.

The abbreviations are the two other songs that you mentioned. Too long to type out.....:pensive:

It's a term for a song/words sung at a football match. Why terrace? I would assume that it's due to the fact that there are fans sitting aligned like a terrace.

The abbreviations are the two other songs that you mentioned. Too long to type out.....:pensive:

Oh, so it is architectural!

Shoot! Football fans need a better/deeper song library.