Literature What are you currently reading?

Currently reading or have finished reading:

patent WO2020060606 - WO2020060606A1 - Cryptocurrency system using body activity data - Google Patents

Agorism, various literature

Scenarios for the Future of Technology and International Development - Rockefeller Foundation (2010 publication that describes the covid-19 "lockstep" pandemic we are currently in among other scenarios to bring out the NWO)

A declassified CIA document on millimeter waves

"Virus mania" by Torsten Engelbrecht and Claus Kohnlein

I am really missing the library and so am reading books online on my phone, which makes my eyes blurry. Better blurry than not reading though.

I have been reading some of the Jack Reacher books and really enjoying them. There are a lot of moral dilemmas that are broached and I find them very interesting.

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: Chryssie and Val
I'm reading The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy - picked up in a Little Library in the neighborhood :smile:. And I'm listening to The Indigo Girl by Natasha Boyd for book club.

I am really missing the library and so am reading books online on my phone, which makes my eyes blurry. Better blurry than not reading though.

I have been reading some of the Jack Reacher books and really enjoying them. There are a lot of moral dilemmas that are broached and I find them very interesting.

Emma JC

I have a friend who reads a lot of that kind of stuff and for a while, he lent me every Jack Reacher book he finished. So I have read almost all of them - which I am not proud of.
they are what I call mind candy. But being that I read a lot of mind candy myself I really couldn't criticize him too much.
All of the early Jack Reacher books start off with an unbelievable coincidence. Which I felt weakened the story. At some point, Lee Child found more imaginative ways to get the stories started. But to give Child some credit, its not like Reacher was a detective and the mysteries just came up and knocked on his door.

I'm still on a Tamora Pierce kick. For the anniversary of the books they have been reprinted and I've been able to easily find e-book versions of them. Even better, Hoopla has audiobooks of her early works. And they have been done up almost like a play or a show*. A different actor is assigned to read different characters' lines.

For walking, driving, or even doing chores I usually listen to news podcasts. but I am sick of the news. So these audio books are providing me with a very nice diversion. I also like to listen to them as I fall asleep.

-----------

* I thought this was called a radio play but it turns out that is something different**. These are called Full Cast Audiobooks. I found a list of Full Cast Audiobooks, and Sandry's Book (Book one of the Circle of the Magic) is on the list. the cast includes 30 different people and the voices belonging to children are read by child actors.

------------------

**There are podcasts where they serialize a radio play. They call these audio dramas.

I have read 2 books since I last posted. The first is called "The Perfect Horse" by Elizabeth Letts. It is the true story of how the Lippinzaner stallions (and other horses) were saved from the Nazis during WWII. If you are a horse lover like me, you know how beautiful and special these white horses are. It is a very interesting story!
The other is the first book of a fantasy series by Christopher Paolini called "Eragon" which was made into a movie a few years ago. It is about dragons and dragonriders and good vs evil. (as is most fantasy) I love dragons so I enjoyed it. I would called it a Young Adult novel. The name of the series is "The Inheritance Cycle" and now I have to find the rest of the books.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
I have a friend who reads a lot of that kind of stuff and for a while, he lent me every Jack Reacher book he finished. So I have read almost all of them - which I am not proud of.
they are what I call mind candy. But being that I read a lot of mind candy myself I really couldn't criticize him too much.
All of the early Jack Reacher books start off with an unbelievable coincidence. Which I felt weakened the story. At some point, Lee Child found more imaginative ways to get the stories started. But to give Child some credit, its not like Reacher was a detective and the mysteries just came up and knocked on his door.

I loves me some mind candy!!!

It is funny you say it that way because I often refer to certain books/authors as "like eating a chocolate bar" (something I almost never do btw) but mind candy is an even better way to say it - such a treat! you can get completely lost in it and when it is done, it is done and on to the next....

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
I have been reading the works of Mike Berners Lee on climate change. The Burning Question is the most important work, I think.

By the way, I notice that people mostly post about fiction on this thread. Is that really the intent of the thread? If so, it keeps things light if that's the preferred in the thread - will mostly help to avoid sensitive topics if people want a chillout zone.

I tend to read about 70%-80% non fiction and it's often serious stuff like history, politics,science etc. I've never sure if people want that in this thread.

"Literature" according to definitions I've just double checked, does include non-fiction works, however in practice that's not what people think of when they see that word...

Reactions: Emma JC
I have been reading the works of Mike Berners Lee on climate change. The Burning Question is the most important work, I think.

By the way, I notice that people mostly post about fiction on this thread. Is that really the intent of the thread? If so, it keeps things light if that's the preferred in the thread - will mostly help to avoid sensitive topics if people want a chillout zone.

I tend to read about 70%-80% non fiction and it's often serious stuff like history, politics,science etc. I've never sure if people want that in this thread.

"Literature" according to definitions I've just double checked, does include non-fiction works, however in practice that's not what people think of when they see that word...

I think you can post whatever you are reading. I TRY to mix in some literature and nonfiction with my fun books.

Lately the fun books are getting read and the good stuff is gathering dust

The Physicians of Vilnoc
by Lois McMaster Bujold

This is Book 8 of the continuing series of Penric and his demon.

All of the books are short novellas available only as e-books. But they are pretty cheap. On Hoopla, you can get the first six as audiobooks for free.

I loved it and finished it in 2 days. Although if you are looking for an escape from the pandemic we are living through you won't get it here. Penric and his demon are battling a plague.

• Wow
Since I last posted I have read books 1 and 2 of the YA fantasy series "Darkest Minds". There was a movie made of this too. It is similar to X-Men in that it is about young people with special abilities. I like it. I also read book two in the "Inheritance" series. Book one was "Eragon". I am now reading book three. I like this YA fantasy quite a lot. It has elves, dwarves, and dragons. It reminds of some of the games I have played on the PC like Everquest and World of Warcraft.

• Friendly
Since I last posted I have read books 1 and 2 of the YA fantasy series "Darkest Minds". There was a movie made of this too. It is similar to X-Men in that it is about young people with special abilities. I like it. I also read book two in the "Inheritance" series. Book one was "Eragon". I am now reading book three. I like this YA fantasy quite a lot. It has elves, dwarves, and dragons. It reminds of some of the games I have played on the PC like Everquest and World of Warcraft.

I read Eragon a long time ago. I don't remember much about it.
I've been reading/rereading/and listening to a lot of Tamora Pierce. A lot of her stuff was re-released as a special anniversary edition. I could find the e-books at the library and the audiobooks on Hoopla. Presently reading a collection of her short stories. Tortall and Other Lands. The nice thing about re-reading a book you read 20 years ago is that you really don't remember enough of it to spoil it.

I will have to check out the Darkest Minds.

Happy - Why more or less everything is absolutely fine - Derren Brown. I'm just starting it today.

• Friendly