Literature What are you currently reading?

I am 495 pages into "The Song of the Orphans", the second book in the Silvers trilogy. There are 738 pages! I am totally sucked into this crazy alternative universe and I have to make myself put it down. I am invested in the characters and really liking the story. It has complex characters and very manipulative "bad guys" that you don't know if they are really bad but they are pulling strings. It is a complicated plot and I can't wait to find out what happens next. Highly recommended if you like this sort of thing!

Reactions: Emma JC
I am 495 pages into "The Song of the Orphans", the second book in the Silvers trilogy. There are 738 pages! I am totally sucked into this crazy alternative universe and I have to make myself put it down. I am invested in the characters and really liking the story. It has complex characters and very manipulative "bad guys" that you don't know if they are really bad but they are pulling strings. It is a complicated plot and I can't wait to find out what happens next. Highly recommended if you like this sort of thing!

I have put the first one on Hold to see if I like it... challenge is that no one seems to have the third one so I am not sure I will be happy if I love the first two and then can't read the third. 😢

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I have put the first one on Hold to see if I like it... challenge is that no one seems to have the third one so I am not sure I will be happy if I love the first two and then can't read the third. 😢

Emma JC
The third one was just released so hopefully it will be available soon!

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15

Emma JC
I got the first one today. paperback from the library.

^ That book sounds good. I have read some of her books before. I might try and get that from the library too. I'm still waiting for the Harlan Coben one.

I'm still reading Four Thousand Weeks. I only read another chapter today.

I went into a charity shop today and there was a book signing event in there. It is a local guy who runs a dog training school as I recognised him from Instagram.

Since I am almost done with "Song of the Orphans", I looked on Amazon for the third book and discovered it won't be released until March 19th which is why the library doesn't have it!

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I read a much lighter and shorter whodunit called "Strange brew" by Mary Kay Andrews. Part of a series of books taking place in the 90's about a woman PI who also owns a cleaning company. It was a fun read with lots of quirky characters. It took place around a brewery which was interesting for me since I like craft beer. I will read more of the series as I run across them.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Today I read a book I had purchased at a craft show some time ago from the author herself. It is probably not going to be in libraries but it is available on Amazon. It is "The Wild in her Eyes" by Karina Giortz. It is a coming of age YA novel about a girl who runs away from a terrible experience and joins a traveling circus. Fun characters and many life lessons learned. And she has a wolf!

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Me again! I picked up "Finding Mr. Purrfect" by Codi Gary out of the new books section. I had read "A Cat Cafe Christmas" and had enjoyed it for a quick light read so picked this one which is book two about Charity and her cat cafe/bakery/rescue. This was pure romance just like a Hallmark movie. LOL I liked the characters who appeared realistic to me with their family drama and insecurities. And there are cats! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I still haven't finished Four Thousand Weeks, I'm getting bored with it. I might start another one on my kindle today.

• Friendly
Me again! I picked up "Finding Mr. Purrfect" by Codi Gary out of the new books section. I had read "A Cat Cafe Christmas" and had enjoyed it for a quick light read so picked this one which is book two about Charity and her cat cafe/bakery/rescue. This was pure romance just like a Hallmark movie. LOL I liked the characters who appeared realistic to me with their family drama and insecurities. And there are cats! :)
Hmmmm... "Cat Cafe" sounds familiar. I think one of my local libraries has some of them on their paperback rack; they often have some paperbacks on racks, separate from most of the similar books which are organized by genre (sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, etc) and author.

My Mom loved opera, and she and I saw a few of them at the Metropolitan Opera in New York City; she saw quite a few more herself, but sometimes I went to New York with her, doing something else while she enjoyed the performance. One day in the library, I came across a book entitled "Murder At The Met", and borrowed it for her. It was part of a series, and interested her (the jacket included a favorable comment from Placido Domingo- her favorite performer!) She read a few more in the series which didn't have an opera theme.

Last edited:
I am almost done with book one of a trilogy by Daniel Price called "The Flight of the Silvers." It is a big book at 594 pages and book two is even bigger which I also have as the library had them both. Book three has just been released and hopefully the library will have it by the time I get to it. It is a time travel, alternate universes sci-fi epic journey of a group of young people who have special powers. Their particular group is called the Silvers. It has some really crazy stuff and is really good.

I am about a third of the way through - enjoying it so far, I just wish there was more joy and less angst. Thank you for the recommendation.

Emma JC

Reactions: Chryssie
I am about a third of the way through - enjoying it so far, I just wish there was more joy and less angst. Thank you for the recommendation.

Emma JC
Very unusual for me but I'm reading three books right now.

From the. library I got the paperback version of Flight of the Silvers.
I am halfway thru it.
Mixed feelings about the plot and premise.
The prose, in between the action sequences is beautiful
I also have issues with the amount of angst. I keep having to stop reading it because it is becomes painful. Not for very long. just a few minutes at a time. but it's making it slow going.
This book is thick so I only read it at home.

On my Kindle I have Rule of Wolves part 2 of the King of Scars Duology. It's a Grishaverse novel ( AKA Shadow and Bone). It's nice to return to the Grishaverse universe, (especially since they have canceled season 2 of Shadow and Bone) and visit with many of the familiar characters we met in the earlier books. but the plot is wearing a little thin now. Spies and thieves. deception, heists, mystery, battles, magic and romance. (wait! what am I complaining about? ). Oh maybe because this is the sixth novel I have read in the Grishaverse and the heists are getting repetitive .
The kindle is great for taking it on the road to read.

On my iPhone I am listening to an audiobook; To Sleep In A Sea of Stars. this book was recommended by a Reddit Post. The recommendation was for the audio book and the OP raved about how terrific the narrator was. Not only do I agree that the narrator is wonderful (I think the phrase the OP used was that they could even listen to her recite the phone book), the story is excellent. It's a SciFi, alien vs human war story with an interesting and IMHO unique twist.
The audio book is great for listening to when you can't read - like doing chores, or driving, or walking. My original plan was as a bed time story but it's too exciting to fall asleep to.

I finished the "None of this is ture" book in 3 days. It was so hard to put down. I had not heard of that Author before. It was so good and twisty.

I have the Stephen King Holly book in transit to the library now.