Literature What are you currently reading?

I bought the Britney Spears hardcover book as I will read it and then my brother and his girlfriend can borrow it afterwards.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I finished "The Andromeda Evolution" by Daniel H. Wilson. This is a sequel to the 1969 Michael Crichton novel "The Andromeda Strain" which has been called "the first techno thriller." Crichton died in 2008 and who knows if he ever planned a sequel. Wilson does a masterful job with the story. It has been 50 years since "the event", and something strange has been sighted in the Amazon jungle. The story is of the expedition to check out this anomaly. The style is as if the book is an actual report of what happened. It is really good! Very exciting with lots of technical and scientific facts mixed in with fictional stuff. Some pretty wild outer space antics but it is science fiction and doesn't have to be plausible. I liked it a lot!

I read the Britney Spears book today. I had seen the documentary about how her father treated her and controlled her and stole her money. It is very shocking and sad.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
To Swoon and to Spar by Martha White - set in the 1800s it is pretty entertaining, light reading. I have read at least one of hers previously and have more on Hold.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
^ I have read that Riley Sagar book.

I'm reading a book called Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention - Johann Hari. I read one of his books back in 2020 as I just did a search on here.

It is interesting, but I have just started it. He is going to do a 3 month break from all social media! He is staying at a guesthouse and hasn't got access to the internet from his phone or laptop. I can't imagine that at all.

I just finished another Harlan Coben book called "Gone for Good." It was published in 2002 so a little "old." It was amazing! Has to be one of his best! So many twists and turns all the way up to the last few pages. It has murder, the mob, love, disappearances, a psycho killer. Everything you need for an exciting read!

received another Nora Roberts series of Preston & Child - Dead Mountain - loving it so far

Emma JC

it was very good and the back story is also interesting - based on a real life story and then altered for the times

now reading another Tessa Bailey book

Emma JC

Today I finished "The Brass Verdict" by Michael Connelly. It is an older book in the Lincoln Lawyer series. As always it was a good courtroom drama/murder mystery with lots of detail about how court works. Some good twists.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
A mini weird thing I just caught was the character in the book was watching Ozarks on his search history. In the Show he is played by Jason Bateman, who is in the Ozarks.

Reactions: PTree15
Yesterday I got more books at the library and read one all day. It was "all we ever wanted" by Emily Giffin. This is not a murder mystery or a sci-fi or fantasy so something different. It is the story of 2 families and is told in the perspective of the main characters. There is Nina, a 40ish woman who has married a very wealthy man whose family is part of Nashville's "old money". He also made a fortune selling a company so they are super rich. Then there is Tom, a working class single father who is a carpenter. Lyla is his daughter who is 16 and attends an exclusive private school with financial aide. These two very different families meet after an incident involving Nina's son, who attends the same school, and Lyla. It is a story about privilege, teenage drama, family drama and loyalty. Really good!

The Fourth Wing
By Rebecca Yarros​

"Suspenseful, sexy, and with incredibly entertaining storytelling, the first in Yarros' Empyrean series will delight fans of romantic, adventure-filled fantasy."
―Booklist, starred review

Adult Fantasy
One guy put it as Harry Potter meets Game of Thrones.
I might suggest is a cross between A Deadly Education and the Dragons of Pern.
I sort of see it as an R Rated book for Young Adults (17+) who have outgrown Harry Potter.
There is an incredible amount of violence in this book. A pretty large body count too. And towards the end there are some sex scenes that are pretty graphic. The length of the sex scenes turned me off so I just skipped ahead,

I was curious and googled the author. I had never heard of her before but she has written quite a few best selling books. She is categorized as a Romance Fantasy or a Fantasy Romance or romantasy novelist. And Fourth Wing is called an Adult Fantasy novel.

The author suffers from a disease called EDS, and it's a good guess that the main character in Fourth Wing suffers from it too.

This is the first book in the Empyrean series. Not sure how many books there will be in the series. but the second book is already published.

I had needed another audio book for bedtime and found the Fourth Wing on Hoopla. It is called a Full Cast Audio Book. Instead of one narrator there have a whole room full of actors reading all the parts. Plus sound effects. The book itself was too exciting for a bedtime story so I went and got the ebook from the library. The audio book comes in two parts and Hoopla just has the first part. All the sex scenes are in the second half and I'm curious if the second half is R-Rated or just PG-17.

I put the second book, Iron Flame, on hold but it has a long waiting list.

Fourth Wing has a pretty interesting plot although I found it to be predictable. But maybe it was supposed to be. Its exciting and a page turner. I'm looking forward to reading the next one. And in the meantime I may check out one of her other books.

Also it looks like its going to be made into a TV show.

• Informative
Back to my "whodunits"! I read "Rush of Blood" by Mark Billingham this weekend. Three British couples strike up a friendship while on vacation in Florida. While at their resort, a young "intellectually challenged", girl goes missing. They return home and continue to socialize. Then another girl disappears in their area in a case very similar to the Florida case. There is cooperation between the police in the US and the UK. The bad guy has his own voice in the story but you have no idea who it is. The characters are complex and everyone is a suspect. It was a really good mystery and sucks you in!

Reactions: Lou
Sarah J Mass - A Court of Thorns and Roses - I thought someone here recommended it and now can't find the post - not my typical choice and yet it held my interest and I believe I put the second in the series on Hold.

Thank you if someone did recommend it.

Emma JC

Sarah J Mass - A Court of Thorns and Roses - I thought someone here recommended it and now can't find the post - not my typical choice and yet it held my interest and I believe I put the second in the series on Hold.

Thank you if someone did recommend it.

Emma JC
it might have been me. I read the first one and I did like it.
But I didn't finish the second. Too much romance. too predictable.
The author and this particular series is very popular with young woman. books for adults who loved Twilight as children.

The first book is more like a regular fantasy. The second book is like what I described above - an adult fantasy or romantasy.

• Informative