What about a communal cook-fest?? (May 21st)

MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra, over & out.
Reaction score
So I had an idea for a community cooking project (not a competition or "cook-off"), and I would like to know what folks think about it.... I thought it might be fun to eventually set up dates, times, dishes, etc. for any willing participants to cook together (but in our own places, of course).... we could shop & prep "together," share tips & updates & stories & photos....

VeggieViews Communal Cook-Fest!! :D

Reactions: Freesia
A virtual pot-luck, so to say?
Sure! Why not?! :) It would take time & communication in advance, obviously.... Brain-storming & so forth... do we vote on a certain ethnic palate.... do we ALL make the same dish.... or (and I just thought of this) do we divvy out dishes for certain people to make to create a whole spread.... ? **shrug** Hell, I dunno! But I'm really liking the idea of this & I'm not sure where to go with it from here.... This is where the fun begins! :yes:

Last edited:
YAY! I don't really know what I was thinking.... sort of a planetary-hippie-kitchen vibe thing, I guess. :cool: Coordinating times might be kind of hard, but if we can get a bunch of dishes, across the globe, made within, say, a 24-hour period.... Again, I dunno. Feel free to discuss... I know my wheels are turning. Now, however, I need to lie down & read, hopefully sleep. Ciao for now.
:sleepy:

Reactions: ledboots
I can cook oatmeal in a cup ... It's a breakfast dish with high satisfaction-to-effort ratio.

Anyway, if anything comes out of this, I'll make sure to feature the results prominently on the board!

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
That does sound like fun. I would join in if we do this. :) I will probably be the person making the easiest dish.:p

I used to cook a lot more a few years ago, but I have become very lazy. I am not a great cook, but I'm at all snobby when it comes to food and I usually eat everything I make.:D

Maybe we could even have a Skype of FaceTime component…? :)

I'm in - I'll make anything!!! Maybe a breakfast theme would be an easy start - tofu scrambles, pancakes, fruit salad, muffins, scones, biscuits and gravy, etc…. :drool:

This sounds like a blast. I'm in, too. :) I like the breakfast theme thing. Maybe we could do a Sunday brunch theme?

Wow! I thought I was nuts! LMAO :lol: Well, cool, this is exciting! I'll throw out my limitations/reservations: I don't eat sweets, but I'm sure I can find someone to take 'em off my hands if I make 'em. ;) I don't dig tofu, seitan, or tempeh.... but if it's a breakfast/brunch theme, I could definitely see myself givin' a potato dish some serious attention. :lick: Oh, and I'm only online via PC, and would be out of the loop Skype-wise, etc. LOL :rolleyes:

Reactions: ledboots
Wow! I thought I was nuts! LMAO :lol: Well, cool, this is exciting! I'll throw out my limitations/reservations: I don't eat sweets, but I'm sure I can find someone to take 'em off my hands if I make 'em. ;) I don't dig tofu, seitan, or tempeh.... but if it's a breakfast/brunch theme, I could definitely see myself givin' a potato dish some serious attention. :lick: Oh, and I'm only online via PC, and would be out of the loop Skype-wise, etc. LOL :rolleyes:
You can't get Skype on your computer? I use it on my laptop.

So, jumpin' on the brunch-wagon idea, I happened to flip to the Breakfast and Brunch section of:
61RAlsfcwSL._AC_UL320_SR248,320_.jpg

:chef: Here's a list of the recipes.... give a shout if you see anything you like. (No rush on this.)
  • Baked Apple Cranberry Pancake
  • Pumpkin Pancakes
  • Apple Oatmeal Pancakes
  • Melt-in-Your-Mouth Pancakes
  • PB&J French Toast
  • Cinnamon Toast Sticks
  • Baked Apple French Toast
  • Delicious Coffee Cake
  • Never-Fail Waffles
  • Slow-Cooker Baked Oatmeal
  • Blueberry Kuchen
  • Overnight Danish Braids
  • Pumpkin Ginger Scones
  • Apricot & White Chocolate Scones
  • Italian Frittata Cups
  • Baked Cheese Grits
  • Cheese Vegetable Strata
  • Cheesy Bread Pudding
  • Impossible Brunch Pie (slow-cooker)
  • Mexican Egg Casserole
  • Quiche Mediterranean
  • Potato-Crust Quiche
  • Overnight Veggie Omelet
  • Granola
  • Soy-Flax Granola
  • Muesli
  • Grain & Fruit Cereal (slow-cooker)
  • Breakfast Quinoa with Cranberries
  • Steel-Cut Oats with Bananas
  • Cream-of-Brown-Rice Cereal
  • Pumpkin Custard
  • Cold Strawberry Soup
Obviously that's only one small section (seems heavy on the eggs & sweets.... I gave up cooking eggs for myself, but don't mind making for others).... All the recipes have been compiled, might be kind of groovy to see if I could pair up you home-chefs with the location of the "donor".... LOL ;)

If anyone has a knack for using particular ingredients, let it be known.... I'll do more investigation. This is fun!! WAY better than costumes! LMAO :p

I like the brunchy idea, too. My only caveats are that it's vegan and no soy (or easy to leave out of the recipe.) :)
I don't ever want to force anything upon anyone. I think those of us who really dig this idea should do some hunting around for our particular, individual recipe.... something that says to us, "Yeahhhh, that's my sh*t, right there!" and do some more talkin'....

Wow! I thought I was nuts! LMAO :lol:

So did I! Hahahahaha! Lmao. :)

I'm glad you got so much interest! I'm commitment phobic, lately, and still not quite understanding the concept but I'll still follow along and see how this plays out. Nice job! :)