Were you raised vegetarian? Did your parents give you a choice?

I was raised In meat and potatoes home, took me a long time to realize I don't like meat.

No, I wasn't. I think parents, whether vegetarians or omnivores, should give their kids the opportunity to make their own choice concerning their nutrition. If the parents are vegetarians, they should leave their kids a choice, not making meat-eating a taboo. "Тhe forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest". Kids could feel like they're restrained, like they're missing out on something, when surrounded by kids who do eat meat. I believe the best solution is to prepare vegetarian food at home, but don't ban meat. That way, kids could try meat if they want to, but it's quite possible that, with this kind of raising, they choose vegetarianism over meat-eating.

Reactions: Blobbenstein
The sames goes for the other way around, of course. If the child of omnivore parents wants to become vegetarian, the parents should help him and encourage him to make good food choices.

I realized I never posted in this thread. I was definitely NOT raised vegetarian. I didn't embrace a vegetarian diet until I was 38. Had I wanted to go veg as a kid, my hardcore omni parents would not have allowed it because I was very small and skinny and they would have assumed that I would starve on a vegetarian diet.

Nope wasn't raised Vegeterian , I started to be more health conscious about 2005 when I had major health issues back then and by the time it was 2009 I was checking into organic and Veg lifestyle and then learned about factory farming and that did it. if we have children, we will raising them Organic and Vegan.

I defiantly was not. Up until a couple of years ago, I was an avid meat eater and never thought anything about it. Some days I wish I was raised Vegan, but then I wonder if I would've stuck with it and understood it.

I wasn't raised as veg*an myself.

I have raised 3 kids as from birth vegetarians and have a vegetarian from birth, just turned vegan, granddaughter now.

Kiddies used to ask about me making the choice for them.

Simply pointed out that all parents make that choice for their kiddies with one thing always making the veg*an choice the right one.

That one thing was this:

If the kiddies grew to resent not having contributed to the death toll of animals they could always put that right for themselves. (Massacre a herd of cows a week untill they had made the numbers up, something like that.)

The choice to never have contributed to the death toll of animals, though, is a choice the non-vegan parent robs their child of forever.

M'kiddies are now old enough to understand the gift of a blood free conscience that can now be by their own choice alone for as long as they choose.

If I had to name the one single thing I have in my life that I most proud of (apart from having Chovie as m'bird) m'kiddies gratitude and appreciation of that gift would be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy SF
My adopted family is a huge Italian family, so meat was essential. I started trying to be a vegetarian at a very young age and they were against it. I just was freaked out buy the thought and of eating body parts that I have. Now some of my family are trying to go with less meat sue to the health benefits and asking me for advice and recipes.

I wasn't raised vegetarian, but I wasn't forced to eat meat either. If I didn't want to eat the meat, I didn't have to (I have never been a meat lover). I wished I was rasied as vegetarian, or become one earlier, but better late than never.

There was also no problem with my familiy when I became vegetarian. I always get food to eat at dinner parties with the family. :)