Watcha Drinkin?

then how much milk?
Well it’s creamer. Silk soy original. I tried measuring. It’s roughly 8 TBLSP. I’ve tried using different milks like soy, coconut and almond but it’s gross lol. I don’t know what it is about the creamer…it just has a nice taste and it’s the closest to the half and half that I remember. I’d rather have this small amount of coffee that I enjoy so much than have more in quantity that doesn’t taste good to me. It’s why I limit it to the small cup a day because the silk creamer, in that amount, is not exactly healthy.
It’s also why I switch off some mornings and have my coffee in the ripple vanilla protein shake. That’s really good too.

Reactions: Lou
I just checked the nutritional info for Silk creamer. It's not bad for you. Its just fat. and even with 8 tbsp its not very much fat or calories. I don't think it even qualifies as a guilty pleasure.

Your coffee drink ( I guess its sort of a latte) may not be a healthy drink - but its not bad.

Do you ever froth your creamer? How does it froth.

I have been reading all these English mid 20th century mysteries (Masie Dobbs). And they drink their coffee "milky". So I have recently been experimenting with making my coffee stronger and adding more milk. I use Silk Vanilla flavored soy milk. But I haven't been using anything like your recipe. Now I'm feeling like I should try some more adventurous attempts.

My pour over is soooo slow that I've found that if I add much milk I Have to heat it up so that my coffee remains hot. And as long as I have heated it up I go ahead and froth it. And add a little sugar. :) So that IS a latte.

Since you are not drinking coffee for the caffein - have you thought of maybe switching your morning drink for something else. Ripple makes a dairy free chocolate milk. I sometimes heat that up and start my morning with a cup of hot chocolate. Its almost good for you. I like the Silk protein drink even better. and for health purposes - check out silk ultra - it doesn't taste quite as good but its even healthier.

Reactions: KLS52
I just checked the nutritional info for Silk creamer. It's not bad for you. Its just fat. and even with 8 tbsp its not very much fat or calories. I don't think it even qualifies as a guilty pleasure.

Your coffee drink ( I guess its sort of a latte) may not be a healthy drink - but its not bad.

I have been reading all these English mid 20th century mysteries (Masie Dobbs). And they drink their coffee "milky". So I have recently been experimenting with making my coffee stronger and adding more milk. I use Silk Vanilla flavored soy milk. But I haven't been using anything like your recipe. Now I'm feeling like I should try some more adventurous attempts.

My pour over is soooo slow that I've found that if I add much milk I Have to heat it up so that my coffee remains hot. And as long as I have heated it up I go ahead and froth it. And add a little sugar. :) So that IS a latte.

Since you are not drinking coffee for the caffein - have you thought of maybe switching your morning drink for something else.
Ripple makes a dairy free chocolate milk. I sometimes heat that up and start my morning with a cup of hot chocolate. Its almost good for you. I like the Silk protein drink even better. and for health purposes - check out silk ultra - it doesn't taste quite as good but its even healthier.
You don't get it--she drinks her coffee for the COFFEE! ☕
Well it’s creamer. Silk soy original. I tried measuring. It’s roughly 8 TBLSP. I’ve tried using different milks like soy, coconut and almond but it’s gross lol. I don’t know what it is about the creamer…it just has a nice taste and it’s the closest to the half and half that I remember. I’d rather have this small amount of coffee that I enjoy so much than have more in quantity that doesn’t taste good to me. It’s why I limit it to the small cup a day because the silk creamer, in that amount, is not exactly healthy.
It’s also why I switch off some mornings and have my coffee in the ripple vanilla protein shake. That’s really good too.
I'd be sooo sad if I had to quit coffee. I love the taste, and probably should get some decaf to switch up. I even like the candies Coffee nips!

You don't get it--she drinks her coffee for the COFFEE! ☕

I'd be sooo sad if I had to quit coffee. I love the taste, and probably should get some decaf to switch up. I even like the candies Coffee nips!
You can try half caff too, especially if you notice a difference in taste between caffeine and decaf. I don’t think I do. But it could be that I’m just so used to decaf.

I've never seen the appeal of decaf coffee or alcohol free beer.

I do understand the appeal of having a hot mug of something in my hands in the morning and a cold frothy thing in my hands in the evening.

:)

I've never seen the appeal of decaf coffee or alcohol free beer.

I do understand the appeal of having a hot mug of something in my hands in the morning and a cold frothy thing in my hands in the evening.

:)
Last time I tried decaf was freshly grown beans and was water processed. I didn't think it tasted differently, I really liked it-but from bulk that always changed :dismay:
I know water processed decaf is best, but I rarely see it!
I used to like the taste of alcohol free beer, I'd get it as my second beer when out after work

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
But I realized, I’m probably making make my coffee like a starbucks drink where they start with milk as a base. So I need the coffee strong because I need my Silk creamer
. Anyway, my current coffee situation is 1/2 cup of grounds. I took the scoop I was using and poured grounds into a measuring cup. Turns out two 1/4 cup scoops make the perfect cup of coffee for me. I use 8 ounces of water which yields 6 ounces of coffee.

I did the same thing this morning (it was difficult as I wasn't wide awake) and used 1/3 cup of ground coffee which is strong Arabica, slightly less 200 ml of water (approx 7 oz) and 200 ml of plant based milk.:) That yields a mug of strong coffee with milk and makes 400 ml.

Lemon water and then a cup of coffee with soya milk and sugar.

Last time I tried decaf was freshly grown beans and was water processed. I didn't think it tasted differently, I really liked it-but from bulk that always changed :dismay:
I know water processed decaf is best, but I rarely see it!
I used to like the taste of alcohol free beer, I'd get it as my second beer when out after work
I’ve never seen it! Maybe I need to make this a mission.

Very interesting. Of course I found two brands on Amazon and I had to try them. They were same day delivery so I will see how they taste in the morning.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: shyvas

Since you are not drinking coffee for the caffein - have you thought of maybe switching your morning drink for something else. Ripple makes a dairy free chocolate milk. I sometimes heat that up and start my morning with a cup of hot chocolate. Its almost good for you. I like the Silk protein drink even better. and for health purposes - check out silk ultra - it doesn't taste quite as good but its even healthier.
The silk is not that great for me, only because of my diet in general. I’m not a “health food” striving vegan. I will probably be counting calories/fat/trans fats/saturated fats for the rest of my life. My need for some kind of snack/treat (not fruit or dairy free yogurt) after meals makes it necessary to make sure that I’m getting sufficient nutrients while keeping the weight in check.

Starting the day with 160 calories for the creamer then adding 15 calories for my teaspoon of sugar, is kind of a waste. It’s why I’m glad I liked putting the coffee in the ripple protein shake. It may be 200 calories but at least I’m getting 20 grams of protein. Sometimes I’ll do half. Unfortunately I only like it cold which was fine for summer. I’m wanting my hot coffee now.

I found a compromise by having three ounces of coffee hot, which means less creamer/sugar, and the other three ounces in the protein shake.

I’m sure I make at least some of you roll your eyes, lol. 😍 But you need to trust why I’m trying so hard to stay healthy and still satisfy the cravings. Seventy is right around the corner. I have an “electrical” issue with the heart and I need to make sure that the “structural” parts continue to work properly, otherwise my risk for serious complications rises. I’d really like to stay away from too many medication. I know I sound obsessive at times but I’m finding a way to eat well and still indulge. It’s really working out for me. I just need to whine sometimes because I was always the person who could eat whatever she wanted so it’s frustrating now that I’m older.

With regard to the latte, I think you’re right. I do heat the creamer because the pour over isn’t hot enough, but probably because of the amount of creamer. I did have a battery operated frother but I never got a good foam with the silk so I don’t bother. Plus I’m not really a fan of foam.

Thank you for the other suggestions for hot chocolate drinks. I will check them out. 😍

I bet you must be going to the store every week to buy more creamer. and then you might even have to buy 2 at a time. And creamer isn't cheap.

Not sure if the hot chocolate drinks will save you trips or money. but the Silk protein, over here, is under $4 for a half gallon. Ultra protein costs maybe a buck more but has twice the protein. The original flavor might even make a good creamer.

I pay 4.59 for a quart! ☹️
It’s lasting a little over a week now because some days I’m cutting the coffee in half, doing half hot and the other half in my protein shake. The ripple shakes aren’t cheap either. 🤦🏻‍♀️
I do always have two quarts in the fridge because the use by dates are great. I do a curbside pickup twice a week because the men in the house eat me out of house and home.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
I couldn’t resist trying the kicking horse decaf. So I ground up half the beans. I did a pretty good job and it’s really good! Of course I probably will not buy it again because, naturally, it does not come already ground. It only comes in whole beans and grinding beans is just not my gig. So I guess for now I will be sticking with my chemical decaf, LOL. I will keep looking for a water processed one. Maybe I will get lucky. Asher anyone else who wants to try it, the Kickinghorse brand is really good

Last edited:
A chocolate banana peanut butter protein smoothie.

So many hot drinks today. I had another cup of flavoured coffee.