Wasp Nest

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So I have a dilemma. I have a rather large underground wasp next close to my front door. I mean really close. It's under the concrete step, which would make relocation quite difficult and expensive, I am guessing. I know it's huge just by the amount of traffic going in an out of the entrance. I got stung yesterday just coming in the door. I happen to be allergic to the stings, which is not good! I am all for preservation of life, but how the heck can I remove such a large nest, and quickly? I called two local pest control places and they don't even offer nest relocation as an option. The nest must go! Please keep in mind I am allergic to stings. I really don't wish to take this on myself. Any suggestions? I have to get this done over the weekend. I can't live here like this.

• Sad
Reactions: Val
So I have a dilemma. I have a rather large underground wasp next close to my front door. I mean really close. It's under the concrete step, which would make relocation quite difficult and expensive, I am guessing. I know it's huge just by the amount of traffic going in an out of the entrance. I got stung yesterday just coming in the door. I happen to be allergic to the stings, which is not good! I am all for preservation of life, but how the heck can I remove such a large nest, and quickly? I called two local pest control places and they don't even offer nest relocation as an option. The nest must go! Please keep in mind I am allergic to stings. I really don't wish to take this on myself. Any suggestions? I have to get this done over the weekend. I can't live here like this.

Can you smoke them out? Some methods are not necesserily require killing them. But, anyway, if you're allergic, you'll need some help from other people, whatever the method that you choose.
P.S. when i was little, there used to be some gigantic wasp nests on Armenians' fields in Hobza village. I saw Armenians smoke the wasps out.

There was another award winner that I can't find. Two brothers had a wasp nest on the outside of their living room window. They attached some kind of explosive to it, lit the fuse, and then went inside to watch. The explosion turned the window into shrapnel killing one of the brothers. However the wasps survived and nearly killed the other brother.

They found a crack between the concrete step and pavement on the driveway. They've nested directly under my steps. So every time I enter the house I disturb them. It's a disaster!

• Wow
Reactions: Val
I appreciate your not wanting to kill the bees but sometimes there just isn’t an alternative when it comes to something that can cause harm. Unless you have an alternate way of getting in and out of your home and can wait until winter, I don’t see what other choice you have other than having someone get rid of the hive for you.

My neighbour offered to destroy it for me. I said I would let him know. I really don't see any other options. My mailman certainly wouldn't like it either, which is why I have to fix this before the weekend ends.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
Sometimes we need to know when to fight, and there will be far fewer casualties and injuries if they're eliminated as soon as possible.
I'm all for deterrents, but once a nest gets established it's often too late.
I once had a nest of yellow jackets bore a hole right into my house! I thought the 'kindest' thing was to avoid using the patio :fp: , that they'd be gone when it got cold 🙄.

This comes under what I see as defense. I don't know the laws, but if you're mail person got stung by a known nest they may be able to sue. They certainly have the right to deny delivery

How would your neighbor destroy it? If he is going to blow it up or set it on fire, be sure to get it on video for the next Darwin's Awards. Oh, and stand inside the house or go in the car for filming.

Thank the gods the beagles weren't hurt. tho I understand they now have PTSD. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Veganite and Val
Yeah sounds like killing the hive is the best option.

I have some wasps living just outside my backdoor but they have never bothered me and I'm not allergic so no action needed. I have found some trying to setup between my outer screen door and inner wooden door..in those cases I used an oven mitt to remove the nest and tossed it out into the yard.

Reactions: Veganite and Val
I would agree that as much as it would be good to relocate them if you could, you do need to solve the problem and quickly.

I would likely use the Raid option, in your situation. And I would be sad, and would thank them in advance for their lives and contribution to nature and then suck it up and just do it. Waiting until they are asleep at night would be best and as you are allergic, having your neighbour do it for you would also be the best choice. IMO

good luck, Emma JC

We had a bald faced hornets nest right above our front door. It did not pose an issue for me as I can go in and out through the garage and up through the basement with no problem. We rarely use the front entrance.
Husband and son, on the other hand took matters into their own hands and sprayed the nest. I found out one morning when I saw several dead bees on the porch. I thought they were dying from some other cause since I noticed dead bees in the road on my morning walks. I puzzled about it for a few days but then husband told me that he had sprayed the nest.

Reactions: Veganite
My neighbour said he would remove the nest as soon as it's dark. I asked him if he was going to burn my house down and he laughed. So I guess that's a good sign. Anyhow, it is regretful. I have nothing against the poor critters. If they weren't so darn aggressive, I dunno. Sucks to kill them though.

That is a dilemma indeed... ground wasps are the... unfriendly ones and they are known among forest wardens as land mines. Worst thing... first only 2-5 scouts sting you (they are not like bees, they wont die after the sting, they just warn you) to mark the target and while smaller animals would be escaping in panic some bigger specimen maybe think it only was nettle or rose and keep stomping on their hive.... the bomber squadron is positioning itself..... they attack in force all out of a sudden and wont let go (some even sad Kamikaze style......) if you have the mark. Unfotunately this can happen very much.... also by mere accident and harm even adults....

Wasps dont search for the injured... but they tend to cannibalism so dont use lethal traps.... please trust me....

There are traps that work like a vacuum cleaner... dont place it next to the nest unless you have protective gear (because THAT will **** em off real good) but try to put em between the supply lines. After a while so many scouts are lost that the swarm will think its a dangerous wasteland and move on. Make sure to place some fruit in the vacuum containers so the wasps dont starve until you (let someone) set them free where they benefit nature and dont put our stupid dogs or childrens health at jeopardy.

It also helps putting a ventilator SOMEWHERE near..... ground wasps prefer perfectly windstill areas (cause it doesnt mess up the fine chemical trails) so even a light breeze focused directly at em could change their mind bout how nice their new home really is..... and they just move right into your berry field.......

Last edited:
Reactions: Veganite
On being a vegan: Thank you for your post on wasps. I live on a small boat and though I consider my “housekeeping” to be scrupulous I do have to deal with insects. I always keep at hand capture and release jars that are fine for my dealings with most other beings (the occassional tree-frogs, lizards, spiders, mosquitoe hawks, etc) but have not yet found a merciful way for dealing with ants, biting flies, and roaches (due to my personal inexplicable roach phobia).
My efforts to be a vegan are largely driven by my belief that human beings are not uniquely divine, differing from other beings only by degree; and that kindness to other beings is the most important virtue and is the essence of humanity. Reading your post about your concern for the wasps helped me to consider that perhaps I am not totally nuts, though maybe that is not such a good thing. Anyway, thank you.