Vegan without soy?

gloaming

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi! It's been a while since I was vegan, and since then I've developed a horrific sensitivity to soy. My system seriously won't deal with it in any form. I decided to take the plunge again two days ago, but without tofu, soy milk, and soy meat substitutes I'm at a loss! Am I stuck eating beans for every meal?

there are other milks, like almond, coconut, and a few others. The protein isn't as good in those two but they taste ok, I think.
Oats milks might be better for protein.

there are other milks, like almond, coconut, and a few others. The protein isn't as good in those two but they taste ok, I think.
Oats milks might be better for protein.

So far I've been drinking almond milk, but it hardly has any protein. I'm eating beans for the second day in a row. Lol There must be a better way!

I don't think oat milk tend to have a lot of protein. (1% in Oatly, the brand I use.) And probably not the kind of protein vegans tend to be short on, since it's a grain.
Have you tried eating seitan ?
Yes, seitan is a decent protein source as well.

Another possibility is quinoa.

And of course beans, chickpeas, peas, lentils and peanut products.

I don't think oat milk tend to have a lot of protein. (1% in Oatly, the brand I use.) And probably not the kind of protein vegans tend to be short on, since it's a grain.

1g in oatmilk to soya's 3.1g.
But it is better than almond's 0.4g
Which milk is right for you? | BBC Good Food

I read on one site 3cups of oats will give you your day's requirement of lysine.

I can't eat soy either, and I am vegan, it is doable. I do eat beans, peas, and lentils a lot, but i love them. I make my own bean burgers, easy, better, cheaper, and more varied than store bought. I make a bunch and freeze them.

Also hummus, baba ganoush, falafel, refried beans, oatmeal, peanut butter, nuts. I do eat a lot of beans now that I think about it. :D I only use plant milks to flavor or over cereal, I am not thinking they have significant protein. I usually use almond milk due to yum.

Reactions: PTree15
I second seitan and quinoa and all the other suggestions regarding beans. There are so many ways to eat beans.

The mock duck seitan is to die for!! :D and I've heard there is a silly amount of protein in broccoli - I suffer from soy intolerance too and feel your pain fellow sensitive ones! Have a *hug*!

I am always surprised by the protein craziness that is the hallmark of nutrition.

Most people in Western societies eat way too much protein, and it is not really good for your body.
Unless you are a bodybuilder and want to build muscle I do not see a need for trying to increase the protein intake (and even for bodybuilders, I personally am rather sceptical. You do not grow muscles by gobbling down protein, otherwise the average person eating the "Standard American Diet" would look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, right? You build muscles by lifting heavy weights).

Take a look here: http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/factsheets/Protein-vegetarian-vegan.pdf

Best regards,
Andy

Reactions: ledboots
I am always surprised by the protein craziness that is the hallmark of nutrition.

Most people in Western societies eat way too much protein, and it is not really good for your body.
Unless you are a bodybuilder and want to build muscle I do not see a need for trying to increase the protein intake (and even for bodybuilders, I personally am rather sceptical. You do not grow muscles by gobbling down protein, otherwise the average person eating the "Standard American Diet" would look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, right? You build muscles by lifting heavy weights).

Take a look here: http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/factsheets/Protein-vegetarian-vegan.pdf

Best regards,
Andy

I guess I worry about protein because I'm also a newly diagnosed diabetic, and when I eat a meal with protein in it, my blood sugar doesn't spike so high. Last time I was vegan I didn't worry as much!

I don't know what country you live in.
However, it is easy to find in the US, UK and other parts of Europe. As it is quite an expensive product it would be worthwhile trying to make your own seitan using wheat gluten.

I'm in the US, so I'll look for it today. :) Thanks!

I guess I worry about protein because I'm also a newly diagnosed diabetic, and when I eat a meal with protein in it, my blood sugar doesn't spike so high. Last time I was vegan I didn't worry as much!

Nuts are also a good source of protein. You could make either nut roasts or nut burgers with a mixture of almonds, peanuts and cashews.

I also like a medium protein meal as I also am quite sensitive to carbs.

There's the vegan Quorn burger in the US
Vegan Burger

10grams of protein per burger, and Quorn stuff is supposed to contain a complete protein.

Awesome! I bought some Quorn chicken patties last night just for fun. I was perusing the offerings at the grocery store, looking for easy lunch options. Can't wait to try them!