Becoming Vegan

Amelia

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I've wanted to become vegan for about 3-4 years now, but I've always been told by my parents, for as long as I live in their house, it won't be an option.

They said they will not cook me any special meals or buy me special food because I'm "not special" I've offered to pay for my own food expenses/cook my own meals, I have a part time job, but they still won't let me.

They tell me I'm "being ridiculous" and I always "have some stupid idea" in my head... but it's not stupid to me. The smell of meat just makes me nauseous. They just don't get it that I hate what happens to those poor animals or the fact meat just smells bad. They treat me like im 12 instead of 22.

I come from, and please don't judge ME for this, a family of hunters/butchers. So you can imagine how much meat my family go through/eat. I've never liked my father's/grandfathers/uncles hunting lifestyle, but I cant change who they are. I can only become who I want to be.

Anyway after years of begging, yesterday they let me start with being vegetarian for 2 reasons.
1) Because they think ill "give up" after a week, and beg for meat again.
2) I'm moving out of my family home in 2 months so in their words, I can eat whatever I want under my own roof.

I guess my question is how can I be as vegan as possible while still keeping my family quiet and off my case until I move out in 2 months?

I've cut out all meats but since they won't allow me to have any "special" meals I'll be stuck making whatever concoction I cook up in the kitchen.
They won't let me use vegan alternatives like vegan butter, milk, cheese, etc. Any recipes ideas/links for recipes that can fit my criteria for the next 2 months ?

oh! at first I was planning on saying something along the line of two months isn't that long... just hold your nose. its almost over. But then you changed everything at the end.

And I much prefer giving more constructive advice

Before I forget. Welcome aboard. I think you've come to the right place for advice.

One certainly can survive without vegan butter, milk, etc. I'm a long time vegan and for a long time I didn't have a lot of "alternatives". Although I always had my soy milk - but its possible to live without that.

I'm sure you are going to get some great advice from other forum member so I won't give you too many ideas.

I'm going to start off with Black Beans And Rice. Its simple. its cheap. its nutritious. I prefer using dry beans and whole grain rice. but if you're not ready for cooking those things you can just use canned beans and Uncle Ben's.

You can even mix it up. I love Cuban Black Beans over rice. you can also cook that up from scratch or buy it in a can.

And once you have a big bowl of black beans it the frig you can use it for burritos or breakfast (breakfast hash).

And if you get bored with black beans - there are so many other kinds.

You can make burritos with refried beans, too.

For breakfast - make oatmeal - you don't have to use any kind of milk to make oatmeal. And like beans its easy, cheap, and nutritious. You can even make Overnight Oats and just have it cold the next morning.

I'll check back later and make sure you've gotten some more good suggestions.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Wow. Maybe I've got it wrong but it sounds kinda messed up they think they can control your decisions like that.

Living on your own is gonna be really good for you. I hope you maintain healthy boundaries or distance from anyone that tries to control you in the future.

welcome to the forum and good for you for choosing your own life and for choosing life for the animals and the planet!

lots of potatoes, regular and sweet potatoes, beans and one of my favourite are cans of 'baked beans' without the pork in them, just tomato sauce and also chick peas are so good with so many things!

vegetables and fruits, of course, rice, other kinds of beans as @Lou suggested, throw in some frozen veggies and a can of chopped tomatoes to that rice and bean mixture and you can probably make enough for a few meals at a time

as @Lou said you don't really need butter or milk, put peanut butter on bread, and if you have cereal you can always whiz up a banana in some water and it makes a wonderful milk

pasta - simple jar/can of spag sauce, a can of lentils (drained and rinsed), and if you have any veggies just toss them in when you heat up the sauce (I love to add garlic, onions, olives etc)

All the best with the next two months.... keep us in the loop!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

You can make mashed potatoes using a can of coconut milk

and of course there is the big salad. you can just add a can of chickpea to your favorite salad ingredient for protein.

and maybe follow some of the vegan influencers we promote here on the VF.

I've wanted to become vegan for about 3-4 years now, but I've always been told by my parents, for as long as I live in their house, it won't be an option.

They said they will not cook me any special meals or buy me special food because I'm "not special" I've offered to pay for my own food expenses/cook my own meals, I have a part time job, but they still won't let me.

They tell me I'm "being ridiculous" and I always "have some stupid idea" in my head... but it's not stupid to me. The smell of meat just makes me nauseous. They just don't get it that I hate what happens to those poor animals or the fact meat just smells bad. They treat me like im 12 instead of 22.

I come from, and please don't judge ME for this, a family of hunters/butchers. So you can imagine how much meat my family go through/eat. I've never liked my father's/grandfathers/uncles hunting lifestyle, but I cant change who they are. I can only become who I want to be.

Anyway after years of begging, yesterday they let me start with being vegetarian for 2 reasons.
1) Because they think ill "give up" after a week, and beg for meat again.
2) I'm moving out of my family home in 2 months so in their words, I can eat whatever I want under my own roof.

I guess my question is how can I be as vegan as possible while still keeping my family quiet and off my case until I move out in 2 months?

I've cut out all meats but since they won't allow me to have any "special" meals I'll be stuck making whatever concoction I cook up in the kitchen.
They won't let me use vegan alternatives like vegan butter, milk, cheese, etc. Any recipes ideas/links for recipes that can fit my criteria for the next 2 months ?
Time for fereedom from your parents, who love you but insist on controlling you. good luck!.

Reactions: bEt