Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

TheLargestGuy

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi everyone!

I have a some questions regarding vitamin d supplements.

Do you use them? And if yes, what kind of supplements do you use? How often?

There's a interesting post abuot vegan vitamin d and vegan supplements. What do you think about the vitamin d derived from lichen? Are there better choises for d3 supplement?

Reactions: betiPT
I used to. I used to take pretty large doses of Vitamin D. Like 4000 or 5000 iu. Ten years ago my doctor told me that Vitamin D was associated with lowering the occurrence of colon cancer, which runs in my family, and suggested megadoses. But last year, I got a new doctor and he told me that he thought that was nuts. So I stopped. I have a checkup later this month so I will get my blood tested and see how my D levels are. They used to be great. :)

You can find vegan D2 - but there is some speculation it isn't effective So I used to mix a vegan D2 with another regular D3 for a total of 4 or 5 thousand. Then a few years back I switched to a vegan D3. This one.

My opinion now is not to bother supplementing D. it's already in fortified plant milks (but I think they use D2). And of course, if you go outside your body makes it. but if you get a blood test and you are deficient - do what your doctor tells you to do.

BTW, as far as I know, D2 is always vegan and always less expensive than vegan versions of D3. But there have been some questions about the effectiveness of D2. I don't think there are any questions about lichen derived D3. I mean its just a chemical compound. How would your body know where it comes from. My understanding is that D2 is chemically different.

Reactions: betiPT
I used to, I don’t anymore. I get my levels checked yearly to make sure I’m not deficient :) I try to get sun exposure; it makes me feel better too :)

Have you had your levels checked? :)

Reactions: Lou
I used to, I don’t anymore. I get my levels checked yearly to make sure I’m not deficient :) I try to get sun exposure; it makes me feel better too :)

Have you had your levels checked? :)
No not yet, but I think I should. There's not a lot of sun now and I am not using any supplements and never did. Also I am not using much products with vitamin d in them. :)

I use a sublingual B12 daily :) that’s it for my supplementation.

I try to eat seeds daily, such as ground flax, for essential fatty acids. I also make hemp milk... super easy, barely an inconvenience:)

I eat a huge range of food with different colors.
I try to get a good amount of sunshine in too.
Periodically, I check Cronometer to see how I’m going... I tend to do ok :)

Last time I had my bloods done my doctor said, and quote, “you have the blood of Adonis”
Why thanks Doc! :)

I think the www has been extremely beneficial for vegans - both for exposing the herrendous meat industry practices but also for knowledge and information on keeping healthy, such as the importance of B12 supplementation- I can see you were looking out for me @Lou, thank you :)

And having great forums like this one :)