Vegan/Vegetarian Packaged Food Reviews

Have I said Tabatchnick frozen soups and chili lately :rofl:?
I guess I feel bad because they really are the best, I just have no need to buy soup! I make more than I even want
Pareve « Categories « Tabatchnick Fine Foods
I really liked their mushroom barley!
Low sodium, gluten free, and organic options too

Reactions: Val
Me too! I enjoy eating frozen veggies and add them to soups and stews a lot, and i feel good after eating them.:)
I love roasting cauliflower & Brussels sprouts... sooo nummy! Plus I make that roasted cauliflower cheese sauce.... And it's ridiculously easy with frozen veggies... no washing, no trimming, no chopping... just dump a bag or two in a big baking dish, toss with olive oil & spices, & throw it in the oven! :D

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I need to try roasting the cauli first! I like that sooooo much better than the crappy potato-carrot "best vegan cheese sauce ev-rrrrr" crap.....

Happy veganversary! :starshower:

I love roasting cauliflower & Brussels sprouts... sooo nummy! Plus I make that roasted cauliflower cheese sauce.... And it's ridiculously easy with frozen veggies... no washing, no trimming, no chopping... just dump a bag or two in a big baking dish, toss with olive oil & spices, & throw it in the oven! :D
Indeed:p. Right now i'm making my favourite new borscht on the basics of the frozen pack. Of course, i add lots of stuff in it. And i do it quite often. :dance: But honestly, i've taught my mom how to make it, and she does most of the work, because i still can't stand at the stove, and it's easier to teach her and tell her how i prefer my soup. :oops: Anyway, with all those weird ingredients it's gonna be delicious. :lick:

I was extremely pleased to find this at Kroger last night.... :up: Silver Palate | Low Sodium Marinara Pasta Sauce

large_b86c0fcf-01d8-47be-830b-3a347916b89b.png

I guess this can go here....

Good! :up: I really like getting frozen cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, etc....

I’m so sorry. I have bad news for you. According to Jo Robinson in the book “Eating on the Wild Side”, over 90% of the nutrients in broccoli and cauliflower are lost three days after harvest. The thawing process also destroys these nutrients even when the cruciferous veggies were frozen within three days of harvest.

Well
I’m so sorry. I have bad news for you. According to Jo Robinson in the book “Eating on the Wild Side”, over 90% of the nutrients in broccoli and cauliflower are lost three days after harvest. The thawing process also destroys these nutrients even when the cruciferous veggies were frozen within three days of harvest.
Well, considering I'm not eating veggies within 3 days of harvest, and more willing to believe the research that says frozen is as good as fresh in most instances, I'll continue to keep broccoli, cauliflower, peas, and corn in my freezer most of the time.
I may roll my eyes when people say being vegan is for the privileged, but what that author is advocating really is :rolleyes:. Unless you're off the grid I suppose... which is a type of privilege....
This will help, not only for using frozen but for maintaining nutrition in fresh-
Second Strategy to Cooking Broccoli | NutritionFacts.org

I'm still going to buy & eat frozen vegetables... because they're convenient... and because they're tasty! :broccoli:

I take supplements (and I use a ton of nooch in everything), so I'm not worried about any "lost" nutrients. ;)

I may roll my eyes when people say being vegan is for the privileged, but what that author is advocating really is :rolleyes:.

You’ve read Eating on the Wild Side and concluded it was based on ridiculous amounts of privilege?

I take supplements (and I use a ton of nooch in everything), so I'm not worried about any "lost" nutrients. ;)

I’m not saying I never eat broccoli or cauliflower unless I grew it myself, but I’m not going to pretend it’s for any reason other than I like them.

You’ve read Eating on the Wild Side and concluded it was based on ridiculous amounts of privilege?

I’m not saying I never eat broccoli or cauliflower unless I grew it myself, but I’m not going to pretend it’s for any reason other than I like them.
All I'm saying is I don't think I could exist without a grocery store... I can't grow a damn thing. If I had to grow my own vegetables I would starve. :bag:

I'm gonna try to work with herbs, though... for starters.... maybe next season.... :confused: LOL

No. I read snippets from amazon and jumped to that conclusion. I don't know anyone who has access to produce within three days of harvest, so by that respect, yes, it's privlege!

No. I read snippets from amazon and jumped to that conclusion. I don't know anyone who has access to produce within three days of harvest, so by that respect, yes, it's privlege!
I agree.

I grew up in north central Illinois, and my mother grew our vegetables to feed the family year round, but that entailed canning and freezing, and storing potatoes, carrots and other root vegetables in the basement, braiding onions and hanging them for use year round.

Sure, there were a couple of months during which we ate straight from the garden. Lots of lettuce and radishes in the spring, then asparagus, peas and spinach, followed by green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, summer squash and cabbage. Then fall lettuce and more radishes and the last of the tomatoes, and pumpkins and potatoes.

But that was for a couple of months only, and we would eat the same vegetable(s) day after day, while they were producing. During the heat of the summer, there was no lettuce or spinach, because they would shoot up immedately. Broccoli and cauliflower were unproductive most years - the heat would make them shoot up before forming proper heads.

And yes, many people don't have yards, much less the amount of ground necessary to feed a family.