Vegan/Vegetarian Packaged Food Reviews

MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra, over & out.
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll kick things off with the frozen Mac n' Chao (by Field Roast)....

creamy-mac-n-chao-500x332.jpg

I liked it better than Amy's frozen vegan mac & cheese... but wowee, is this sh*t ever salty!! :argh:The flavor is great, they just need to knock off a few hundred milligrams of sodium. :confused:

However, if you're used to eating salty stuff (I am not), and if you're free & clear from any high blood pressure issues, I'd recommend giving it a try.... LOL :p

Reactions: KLS52
I should add the canned chili beans from Hanover or Joan of Arc. Add a can of diced tomatoes and chilis, sauteed onions, celery and peppers, you've got a quick chili

Frozen Chinese veggies. Let the bag dethaw a bit before stir frying, add a can of drained pineapple and make a sauce with the juice. Add a T of corn starch, hot sauce, ginger, soy sauce or Braggs add at end.

Reactions: PTree15
These are a little high on the sodium content, but I've seen worse when it comes to frozen foods:
Amy's tofu scramble breakfast wrap
Amy's Indian samosa wrap

I keep a couple of these in the freezer at work in the event I get stuck late and haven't brought dinner. They are a little pricey, but they often go on sale, and that's when I'll pick them up.

I think it goes without saying that most packaged foods, veg*an or not, tend to have way more sodium than necessary. It’s a shame, really, because they’re really handy in emergencies. When I was at Walmart last Thursday, I grabbed a Simply Asia Sesame Teriyaki noodle bowl to keep in my kitchenette cabinet in case I wanted a meal in my room and didn’t have anything else. It has too much sodium, but I like the taste.

I think it goes without saying that most packaged foods, veg*an or not, tend to have way more sodium than necessary. It’s a shame, really, because they’re really handy in emergencies. When I was at Walmart last Thursday, I grabbed a Simply Asia Sesame Teriyaki noodle bowl to keep in my kitchenette cabinet in case I wanted a meal in my room and didn’t have anything else. It has too much sodium, but I like the taste.
It's mainly why I avoid a lot packaged foods and try to eat them only in a pinch. Some of them are really good, though.

Yeah, I hear that. I was doing so good for so long, making my own stuff, mostly from scratch... I guess I got tired of cooking every damn day. LOL :rolleyes:

Plus it's winter... I haven't been feeling very inspired or motivated lately. :pout:

But the last three nights of dinners have been either restaurant pizza or Mac n' Chao... that's quite enough pre-made sh*t for now.

Luckily, I now have fresh & frozen veggies! It's time for some low-sodium home cookin'.... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
For lacto-vegetarians:

450.jpg
<---- I used to looove these!! :drool:

If you need something quick in a pinch, I would recommend one of these. And they use cheese made without animal enzymes or rennet. :)

Reactions: Amy SF
I had a McDougalls lentil and a tortilla instant soups. They were terribly nasty!
Is that one that you add boiling water to rehydrate?

A local supermarket where I do most of my shopping has been sending out coupons, and one of them was for Gardein meat substitutes. I treated myself to their frozen soy-based Fishless Filets, which were expensive (as most convenience foods are) but quite good! I thought the taste and texture were convincingly fishy, although mild. A package includes 6 "filets", or 3 servings. As I recall, the "meatballs" (made largely of tofu and seitan) were a better buy, with more for your money... and I was thinking of making some nice hot meatball subs, with sauce and vegan cheese, but the fish won out. I think there were also Chick'n nuggets of some sort.

I microwaved some at work (even though the instructions say this is only a short cut and you're supposed to finish them in a pan or something to crisp them), and had the rest at home in my toaster oven. If I crave these again, though, I think I'll go back to a recipe I had which used firm tofu slices marinated in a dried seaweed broth.

Reactions: Val
A local supermarket where I do most of my shopping has been sending out coupons, and one of them was for Gardein meat substitutes. I treated myself to their frozen soy-based Fishless Filets, which were expensive (as most convenience foods are) but quite good! I thought the taste and texture were convincingly fishy, although mild. A package includes 6 "filets", or 3 servings. As I recall, the "meatballs" (made largely of tofu and seitan) were a better buy, with more for your money... and I was thinking of making some nice hot meatball subs, with sauce and vegan cheese, but the fish won out. I think there were also Chick'n nuggets of some sort.

I microwaved some at work (even though the instructions say this is only a short cut and you're supposed to finish them in a pan or something to crisp them), and had the rest at home in my toaster oven. If I crave these again, though, I think I'll go back to a recipe I had which used firm tofu slices marinated in a dried seaweed broth.
I love the fishless filets. They make excellent fishless tacos if you chop 'em up. The Gardein meatless balls are OK. I think I like my eggplant balls better, though. I do like the 7-grain chik'n tenders. I often chop them up and make vegan quesadillas with them.

We enjoy several of the Gardein products. We like the meatballs in spaghetti and sometimes make meatball subs. I like the burgers too. Though I prefer "home cooked", it is always good to have something quick to fix in a pinch. The new packaged meals Gardein has recently released are interesting. We tried one and it was pretty good.
Skillet Meals | Gardein. Meatless Meats.

We enjoy several of the Gardein products. We like the meatballs in spaghetti and sometimes make meatball subs. I like the burgers too. Though I prefer "home cooked", it is always good to have something quick to fix in a pinch. The new packaged meals Gardein has recently released are interesting. We tried one and it was pretty good.
Skillet Meals | Gardein. Meatless Meats.
I was wondering about the skillet meals. I saw them at my store, but I chose the filets and tenders. I like the black bean burgers in a pinch, but I, too, would rather make my own.

Reactions: Chryssie and Val
I like the idea of the skillet meals but they are pricey! Amy's makes some good ones too and they are the same price as the Gardein ones at my Publix.

I haven't seen the porkless bites in my area yet. I would like to try them.
They're hard to find here too! I think I got them from either Target or Fresh Thyme. They're in a sauce like sweet and sour, but not so sweet. Maybe more teriyaki? Anyway, the texture and taste is very different from any other faux meat.