Vegan Tropical Vacation

DSH2020

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
My wife recently became a vegan. No one in our family or social circle shares her conviction. Our oldest son tried to join her but gave up after a few days. I know she feels alone in her journey and would like to help. We travel quite a bit, but not since her conversion. I am looking for a tropical holiday (preferably an island) where there are vegan resorts. I know many of the resorts have vegan options. I'd rather stay at a place where there are no choices but plant based foods. This would force me to eat in that manner for the week, which would make her happy. She is very cool about it and hasn't asked me (or anyone else) to change my lifestyle, but I'd like to do this week for her.

also there are vegan doctors and other proponents that hold specific plant-based conferences in resort type settings:

Thank you for being so considerate on behalf of your wife and I hope that you are able to see the benefits for yourself, for the animals and for the environment.

Emma JC

Really good suggestions above! Now that veganism is becoming more popular, there are more options for vegan vacations.

The Dr. McDougall 10-day programs are to help people to address their illnesses, by using a plant-based diet. It's not really a vacation per se. I don't think you can get in unless you've been diagnosed with obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, arthritis, and/or high blood pressure.

The Dr. McDougall 10-day programs are to help people to address their illnesses, by using a plant-based diet. It's not really a vacation per se.
I don't think you can get in unless you've been diagnosed with obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, arthritis, and/or high blood pressure.

I receive emails from them on a regular basis and I have never seen anything that indicates that all levels of health are not welcome. It is a way to learn to eat a different way as well as to have your health monitered. I am willing to be corrected, that said, most people that are eating a standard american diet, and have been for years, have a least one of the above mentioned challenges... no?

Emma JC

Reactions: DSH2020
I know many of the resorts have vegan options. I'd rather stay at a place where there are no choices but plant based foods. This would force me to eat in that manner for the week, which would make her happy. She is very cool about it and hasn't asked me (or anyone else) to change my lifestyle, but I'd like to do this week for her.

I hope you find a suitable vegan resort and have a great time! And it's truly great that you're willing to try this.

I've traveled abroad quite a bit, eating strictly vegan and I've done well, whether or not we (husband and I) were in specifically vegan establishments. It does not bother me that my husband isn't vegan (he's a pescatarian). I'd honestly rather he be completely happy with his dining options than he force himself into a "vegan shape" for a whole week to please me. I'm honestly not sure he could do it happily, lol. I wouldn't want to hear any complaining about tummy issues or lack of options on my vacation, and I think would. We would probably do better at a resort with vegan options rather than a fully vegan resort if we were to stay more than a day or two.

I receive emails from them on a regular basis and I have never seen anything that indicates that all levels of health are not welcome. It is a way to learn to eat a different way as well as to have your health monitered. I am willing to be corrected, that said, most people that are eating a standard american diet, and have been for years, have a least one of the above mentioned challenges... no?

Emma JC
Not necessarily. I've been pretty overweight as a vegan, more so than before I went veg!
They don't say they're in it for health, but that she's vegan. I used to be so frustrated when all I could find were all wfpb restaurants for vegan foods, when I could make that myself! I wanted gastronomical delights, not more beans and veggies!

• Haha
Reactions: Poppy

Emma JC

I think you are correct, and it's good to hear this update. I think that almost everyone would enjoy, and benefit from, the McDougall 10-day program.

Reactions: Emma JC
@DSH2020, I think it’s awesome that you are willing to travel to an all-vegan resort so you are “forced” to join your wife for the duration of the holiday!

I have lived some years in Malaysia, which - while decidedly not a vegan place - does offer a lot of options both for vegans and for tropical holidays, but I think, Bali (Indonesia) might be even better in that respect.