Vegan Shoes-Trainers,Runners,Walking

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm going to start a new thread. Color me shallow but this is an issue that is disproportionally important to me.*

For the last couple of years, I have been Brooks running shoes. I have a new pair for running. And last year's pair I wear almost all the other times. But they are not entirely vegan. I call it mostly vegan. They are all synthetic but who knows where their glues come from. (according to their website - they don't either).

I used to buy New Balance. They are also mostly vegan, too. I also like they are made in America (and not by teenagers in Vietnam.) But they don't fit me as well as Brooks - and they are usually about twice the price.

anyway, this year, (2019 - Year of the Vegan, baby, ) I have seen a lot of news stories about shoes (especially runners) that claim to be Really Vegan.

And according to the article below, this trend is ready to take off. (and who isn't sick of reading about burgers)

So I'm dedicating this thread to news and comments about Vegan Shoes. Especially Runners. :)

* I buy maybe 2 pairs of shoes a year. but then again I wear shoes every day. :)

I just ordered these Skechers. Labelled Vegan!

Wow. this thread went nowhere fast.
Time to give it a push.

Rebok is jumping into the vegan shoe game with two entires later this month and next month.

the Floatride Energy 3 GROW is coming out in a couple of weeks. The Nano X1 Vegan is coming out in May.

Both shoes are competitively prices with other similar non-vegan shoes. They are manufactured with plants and recycled materials. The materials include eucalyptus bark, castor bean oil, bloom algae, natural rubber, and recycled polyester.

Sometimes, the trade-off to buying something that's more eco-friendly may mean that we lose some of the performance qualities of the conventional item. Some eco-friendly sneakers, for example, are incredible in their use of healthier fiber choices. But because of this particular focus being prioritized over other things like comfort and performance, it ends up begin difficult to find trainers that are both consciously made and well-supported enough for us to walk all day or exercise in.
I haven't noticed any loss of performance or comfort.
things that are ethically sourced are more expensive. Not so much the materials but the manufacturing make ethically sourced things more expensive.

New entry in the marketplace.

Athletic brand Nike just gave its iconic Air Force 1 shoe style a vegan leather makeover with the help of Piñatex, a leather alternative made from pineapple leaves. The new Air Force 1 style is part of Nike’s Happy Pineapple collection which also features reimagined versions of Air Max 90, Air Max 95, and Air Zoom Type styles.​
Last year, competing brand Reebok released the Forever Floatride GROW sneakers made entirely from plants, including a midsole made from castor beans, a eucalyptus tree-based upper, and sole made from rubber trees, and a sockliner made from BLOOM—an algae-based material.​
athletic brand Adidas also got into the plant-based leather game when it unveiled the Mylo Stan Smith, a vegan version of its iconic Stan Smith sneakers made with mushroom-based leather.​

Open the article and check out the pics.

I ordered a pair of those shoes and I can order another pair for 24.95 if I do it NOW. I don't think so because what if they aren't so wonderful! And I don't like the colors other than black anyway.

Reactions: KLS52