Vegan rewards

JM1

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Since you became a vegan do yo perceive the Personal rewards of being vegan differently?

I am a new vegan and believe that this is the healthiest food choice I could make to preserve my well being.

What's your view on the personal gains from being vegan? :broccoli::pumpkin::tomato::turnip::sb::apple::bd::pickle:

Congrats on going vegan, JM1! I look at veganism as a big win for the animals. My veg*n journey began for health reasons, but as I learned more about the cruelty of the meat and dairy industries, my perspective became all about the animals. It's also important for the environment, and everything else is a happy benefit. It does give me peace of mind that I'm doing my best not to harm other living beings.

Congrats on going vegan, JM1! I look at veganism as a big win for the animals. My veg*n journey began for health reasons, but as I learned more about the cruelty of the meat and dairy industries, my perspective became all about the animals. It's also important for the environment, and everything else is a happy benefit. It does give me peace of mind that I'm doing my best not to harm other living beings.
You deserve recognition for being vegan for a decade..

I am also please that you were illuminated with insight to improve your health :cool:

When you became vegan did your health radically change or was it a gradual process that took time?

Additionally, did your doctor recommend you change your eating habits?

I started from the animal rights side of things. Then I couldn't help learn about the health and environmental issues too.

Not sure if I value "personal rewards".

You deserve recognition for being vegan for a decade..

I am also please that you were illuminated with insight to improve your health :cool:

When you became vegan did your health radically change or was it a gradual process that took time?

Additionally, did your doctor recommend you change your eating habits?
I don't think my health radically changed, as it took me a while to go vegan, but I did notice that digestive issues, likely tied to dairy, went away when I transitioned from vegetarian to vegan. No, my doctor didn't recommend that I change my eating habits. It didn't really come up.

When I first started eating fewer animal products, I noticed that I was losing weight. I thought the weight loss had something to do with fewer animal products. Now I know that I was dead wrong: people can lose weight on any kind of hypocaloric diet.

I don't think I get a lot of personal gains other than not having to worry about salmonella or disgusting things like blood in my kitchen. I learned to cook and I eat healthier now, but I could have done that without veganism.

Reactions: Lou
I don't think my health radically changed, as it took me a while to go vegan, but I did notice that digestive issues, likely tied to dairy, went away when I transitioned from vegetarian to vegan. No, my doctor didn't recommend that I change my eating habits. It didn't really come up.
Excuse me for being graphic, but, I notice that I would get Flatulence from ice cream, which I miss enjoying... It's odd that experts say milk products don't have lactose....
When you became a vegan, did you find healthy and affordable options accessible.

Likewise congrats to you as well :blush: When you rote that you began to be vegan for health reasons. Did a medical professional recommend that you modify your diet?

When I first started eating fewer animal products, I noticed that I was losing weight. I thought the weight loss had something to do with fewer animal products. Now I know that I was dead wrong: people can lose weight on any kind of hypocaloric diet.

I don't think I get a lot of personal gains other than not having to worry about salmonella or disgusting things like blood in my kitchen. I learned to cook and I eat healthier now, but I could have done that without veganism.
Those are all very fulfilling rewards and I'm happy for your wins... KEEP Winning!!!!
everyone has a unique story of how they receives the message of veganism.... I had the privilege to be in a relationship with a vegan who's constantly encouraging me to eat plant based foods. It took him a while to convince me, even though I enjoyed his dishes, I was still indulging in dairy and meat products.

How did your decision to become vegan happen?

Those are all very fulfilling rewards and I'm happy for your wins... KEEP Winning!!!!
I literally said that I get hardly any rewards from veganism itself. The rewards were incidental, something I could have gotten without veganism.

How did your decision to become vegan happen?
I started eating vegan as a sort of challenge to myself and because I wanted the weight loss to continue. I can't remember how I decided to become an ethical vegan because it came later and was very gradual. I just ended up reading about animal welfare stuff as I looked into veganism.

Excuse me for being graphic, but, I notice that I would get Flatulence from ice cream, which I miss enjoying... It's odd that experts say milk products don't have lactose....
When you became a vegan, did you find healthy and affordable options accessible.
I think you're confused with the lactose free dairy products. Dairy products are lactose, unless removed.
There are many non dairy ice creams now!

Since you became a vegan do yo perceive the Personal rewards of being vegan differently?

I am a new vegan and believe that this is the healthiest food choice I could make to preserve my well being.

What's your view on the personal gains from being vegan? :broccoli::pumpkin::tomato::turnip::sb::apple::bd::pickle:
Vegan only says nothing derived from animals. It doesn't imply health- or not.
Many vegans subsist on processed foods.
It's no different than lumping all omnivores into one catagory,they don't eat the same, neither do we. Just as someone who eats Whole 30, Paleo, Keto are all omnivores, they distinquish their type of diet.
Vegans can be vegan keto, whole food plant based, even paleo vegan

As to personal gains, I don't feel like a hypocrit!

I think you're confused with the lactose free dairy products. Dairy products are lactose, unless removed.
There are many non dairy ice creams now!
also most ice creams are lower in lactose than milk.

I literally said that I get hardly any rewards from veganism itself. The rewards were incidental, something I could have gotten without veganism.

I started eating vegan as a sort of challenge to myself and because I wanted the weight loss to continue. I can't remember how I decided to become an ethical vegan because it came later and was very gradual. I just ended up reading about animal welfare stuff as I looked into veganism.
That's exactly where I am.... I want to be healthy and lose weight by making better food choices, because, I'm a student and I work, so that doesn't leave me lots of free time to do exercise
You deserve recognition for the choice you made and following through to remain vegan consistently.

Were you always consistent when you transitioned..
We have soo much in common I feel like knowing your journey will equip me for the one I newly embarked :sun::angel:⛵ please be transparent and keep it 1,000 proof non sugar coated 🔑🗝️🏀

Everyone I've known that had issues with milk had issues with ice cream!
Cultured dairy, yogurt, is easier to digest.
Yep, I could not drink whole milk, eat ice cream or use heavy cream without problems, which is why I gave them up decades ago. I had no issues with yogurt, but then again, I didn't eat much regular yogurt. I did like frozen yogurt back in the day for my ice cream fix.

Likewise congrats to you as well :blush: When you rote that you began to be vegan for health reasons. Did a medical professional recommend that you modify your diet?
Thank you. :) No, it was just general information that was available at the time regarding the issues with red meat/cholesterol. It was more than 30 years ago.

You deserve recognition for the choice you made and following through to remain vegan consistently.
I don't want recognition. Offering me recognition implies that I did something remarkable, and I dislike the idea that concern for one's health or concern for animal welfare is remarkable. I would rather they were seen as common, sensible, expected behavior, maybe even default behavior (one day).

Were you always consistent when you transitioned..
Almost. I got concerned for my health early in my first year and added back in some animal products for a few months.

We have soo much in common I feel like knowing your journey will equip me for the one I newly embarked :sun::angel:⛵ please be transparent and keep it 1,000 proof non sugar coated 🔑🗝️🏀
I was living in someone's garage because I couldn't afford rent, and I didn't have easy access to a fridge, so I started eating way fewer animal products and losing weight. Then I decided to follow a vegan diet as a challenge and way to continue weight loss. Then I think I started coming across information about animal welfare because I was researching veganism online. I don't remember the point at which I decided to become an ethical vegan, but it happened some time in that first year. That's all. Nothing really dramatic about the story.