Physical Exercise Vegan nutrition for working out

Brian W

Conscientious Christian
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
My work friend will soon be starting a new job as a physical training instructor and I thought I might be able to help her by providing links to good nutrition information for people who work out. Can anybody help me with this? Thank you.

Reactions: Emma JC
When it comes to nutrition, the one thing that drives me crazy is what most people at the gym think about protein. And then there is the thing about plant protein being of lower quality or incomplete or whatever.

Here is a somewhat short article that is well written and heavily referenced.

Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
Oh. one more thing. Good nutrition does not require supplementation. The billion dollar supplement market would have us all believe differently.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Roy R
Oh. one more thing. Good nutrition does not require supplementation. The billion dollar supplement market would have us all believe differently.
I'm currently slowly reading a book on Raw Foods written back in the 80's and trying to digest every word of it, there is a note in it about the difference one scientist found between natural vitamins and synthesized vitamins being completely at different ends of the scale from one another.

Here is an interesting article I've just found How to Tell If Vitamins Are Synthetic | Livestrong.com

I'm going to use up my stock of vitamin pills and get it all naturally as a result of what I am reading.

I'm currently slowly reading a book on Raw Foods written back in the 80's and trying to digest every word of it, there is a note in it about the difference one scientist found between natural vitamins and synthesized vitamins being completely at different ends of the scale from one another.

Here is an interesting article I've just found How to Tell If Vitamins Are Synthetic | Livestrong.com

I'm going to use up my stock of vitamin pills and get it all naturally as a result of what I am reading.
I think there is paranoia on both sides of this one TBH. I'm happy to take an inexpensive brand of vegan multivitamins and an algae based omega 3 supplement to be on the safe side. We don't get a super-wide variation of fruit and veg and we can't afford to eat nuts every day so I think it's important. Each to their own though. We all have to gamble with the conflicting information we find.

Reactions: bEt and PTree15

This is a complicated issue and kudos to you for reading a book on the subject.

As far as synthetic vitamins go.... there is a lot of disinformation on the subject that needs to be waded thru. And it does get into chemistry and biology, which in many cases - the articles can be hard to understand. Also to make understanding this difficult- a lot of the journal articles even the ones coming from major universities were paid for by the supplement industry.

But artificial does not always mean bad. That article you linked doesn't claim artificial is bad in general. They mostly just talk about distinguishing natural from artificial. but don't provide many column inches to why you should care.

There is a lot of evidence that the sythinthic versions of vitamins A and E are at least less beneficial and maybe even harmful. Not sure if there is much evidence about the rest.

I think we all agree that the best source of micronutrients is from Whole Foods.

Reactions: Brian W
I would also suggest that she watches The Game Changers - as that will give her a good background thought process... if she hasn't already.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Interesting that you say "if she hasn't already." I already pointed her in that direction so she may have watched it by now. Good suggestion though!

Reactions: Emma JC
In addition to the above references, I recommend the following article below. It highlights some of the difficulties in obtaining the suitable protein for vegans to build muscle but also goes over key sources that provide those protein sources. I was not really focused on a few of them before, but it was enlightening. Hope this helps!

Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet - Weight & Muscle Science

In addition to the above references, I recommend the following article below. It highlights some of the difficulties in obtaining the suitable protein for vegans to build muscle but also goes over key sources that provide those protein sources. I was not really focused on a few of them before, but it was enlightening. Hope this helps!

Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet - Weight & Muscle Science
That is a very good and simple resource and you can ask questions if you want. Thank you for that.

Not a bad article. and you can take all of its recommendations to heart.

but I'm so sick of hearing thise

While it's true that most plant-based proteins are incomplete, meaning they don't contain all nine essential amino acids in sufficient quantities,​
They are not incomplete. They all have all the amino acids in sufficient quantities.
it's easy to overcome this issue by consuming a variety of vegan muscle-building foods throughout the day. This will ensure you get a complete amino acid profile to support optimal muscle growth.​
It is true that they have different amounts of different amino acids so an optimum diet relies on large variety of different foods.

It may just to keep the article short but I felt that a recommendation for the amount of protein was needed. So many body builders over estimate it. and just adding. A paragraph that includes something on the lines of a gram of protein per pound of body weight would have been very useful.

Another thing that should have been included is something on absorbability. Although this is still a little too new for a good list of references there is enough to include at least a suggestion on spreading out your intake of protein over 3 or more meals.

Invest in tofu, TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein), and Vital Wheat Gluten (Seitan). TVP and VWG have the same macros as protein powders.

In my experience, one key aspect of a vegan muscle-building diet is ensuring an adequate intake of essential amino acids. While it's true that some plant-based proteins may lack certain amino acids, such as lysine or methionine, it is entirely possible to meet these requirements through a well-planned diet. In addition to the previously mentioned sources, there are several high-quality protein foods that can be incorporated into a vegan diet to support muscle building. Tempeh, edamame, spirulina, hemp seeds, chia seeds and pistachios provide essential amino acids and can contribute to overall protein intake.

In my experience, one key aspect of a vegan muscle-building diet is ensuring an adequate intake of essential amino acids.
True. but vastly over-blown.

While it's true that some plant-based proteins may lack certain amino acids, such as lysine or methionine, it is entirely possible to meet these requirements through a well-planned diet.

No plant food is entirely lacking. in any one (or more) amino acids. it's just that their proportions aren't equal. I'm not adverse to a well planned diet - but it's not really necessary beyond eating a variety of healthy foods.

From your quoted source. The emphasis is mine

However, all the essential nutrients necessary for muscle building can also be easily obtained through plant-based and vegan foods.​
In addition to the previously mentioned sources, there are several high-quality protein foods that can be incorporated into a vegan diet to support muscle building. Tempeh, edamame, spirulina, hemp seeds, chia seeds and pistachios provide essential amino acids and can contribute to overall protein intake.

Again I'm not adverse to the consumption of any of those foods. But they are not essential or necessary to building muscles or eating vegan. You could meet every nutritional requirement with black beans, rice, spinach, nuts, fruit and a couple of vitamins. Nothing special or expensive required.

Maybe the "key aspect" is to eat enough calories. you can't gain muscle without eating a lot.

Reactions: Emma JC and krakos