Question Vegan milk

L

Lorraine

I have been vegetarian for 34 years. I have always known that there is cruelty in dairy but seeing the Guardian article about the treatment of calves has made me want to seriously find some alternatives and move closer to being a Vegan. The only dairy I eat is cheese, yogurt and milk. Vegan cheese and yogurts I can do but milk has been a problem. I only drink it in tea and only like skimmed. Taste tests seem to give higher ratings to ones which are creamier. Obviously only liking skimmed I need one that is not at all creamy. I’ve tried a couple which taste good as a drink but in tea were horrible. Does anyone know of a product that is close to skimmed milk please? Lorraine

Reactions: Brian W
I have been vegetarian for 34 years. I have always known that there is cruelty in dairy but seeing the Guardian article about the treatment of calves has made me want to seriously find some alternatives and move closer to being a Vegan. The only dairy I eat is cheese, yogurt and milk. Vegan cheese and yogurts I can do but milk has been a problem. I only drink it in tea and only like skimmed. Taste tests seem to give higher ratings to ones which are creamier. Obviously only liking skimmed I need one that is not at all creamy. I’ve tried a couple which taste good as a drink but in tea were horrible. Does anyone know of a product that is close to skimmed milk please? Lorraine

You don't say which ones you have tried. Oatly is fairly neutral in taste and it's not creamy.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt
There are several types of Oatly now, the barrista and even a 'skimmed' one in addition to the original. (This is in the UK, not sure what's available in other countries.)

I haven't seen the skimmed version of Oatly as we don't have much choice over here. Alpro is far more popular as it is stocked in major hypermarkets whilst Oatly can only be found at organic stores and Ikea's.

As most Brits just add a dash of milk in their tea, I really don't think that it would make that much difference to add the standard Oatly compared to the skimmed version. I would gather that it would only make a difference in smoothies, desserts etc.

I think that both Oatly & Alpro oat milk has the most neutral flavour when it comes to pb milk.

BTW, has anyone tasted Oatly ice cream ?

I haven't tried the Oatly ice cream. On another thread, though, Thundergleep mentioned a newish brand called Not Milk, which her omnivore sister liked. Only one store near me carries it, and I live in pretty much the opposite of a food desert--lots more choice than most other places. 'Not Milk' has both a whole milk and a 2% milk alternative, and my omnivore mom will drink the whole milk one, sometimes. It is made with pea protein. I know this thread is really old, but sometimes people searching on the internet find this forum (that's how I found it), and this may help someone later on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian W
Yes, there are several milk alternatives that are close to the taste of skim milk. Oat milk and almond milk are popular milks that can be used as substitutes for skim milk in your tea. Soy milk, hemp milk, and coconut milk are also options to consider. Try out a few different milk alternatives to see which one you like best in your tea.