Not Milk

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just tried it. It is supposed to be really close to the taste of milk. I'm not sure because I haven't had any milk in really long time, but the consistency was pretty close.

I drank some, and it was pretty tasty. Some reviewers said it had a strong pineapple flavor, but I could only taste a little sweetness.

I usually only use plant milks in recipes, cereal, and coffee, but this one was pretty good just to drink.

What is NotMilk and how is it made?

Muchnick says that the first step to making NotMilk was figuring out what exactly cow's milk is like at a molecular level. "What molecules make it look, taste, and behave the way that it does?" he asks. "We had to understand it before we could replicate it."

This is where AI technology comes in. Muchnick says that the company created an algorithm (nicknamed Guiseppe) that is able to analyze an extensive list of plant-based foods and pinpoint what sources have molecules that behave the same way as the molecules in milk. The findings are surprising: pineapple juice concentrate and cabbage juice concentrate are all crucial to the end result. "They really replicate the taste of cow's milk, which may sound [strange] but it's true," Muchnick says. "The combination of these ingredients together generates lactones that are similar to what milk has. Chicory root and coconut have this effect too," he adds, naming two other ingredients that are used in the NotMilks.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information - I, personally, have no need to replicate the taste as I stopped using real milk a long time before becoming vegan and used some soy on cereal and then mostly almond. Now I use oatmilk for any place that it is needed (I never 'drink' it) like cereal, smoothies, porridge or baking. Maybe NotMilk will be helpful for newbies and then they can switch over to another option if/when they like.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Thank you for the information - I, personally, have no need to replicate the taste as I stopped using real milk a long time before becoming vegan and used some soy on cereal and then mostly almond. Now I use oatmilk for any place that it is needed (I never 'drink' it) like cereal, smoothies, porridge or baking. Maybe NotMilk will be helpful for newbies and then they can switch over to another option if/when they like.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I'm hoping that these similar tasting items might encourage people to reduce their consumption of dairy products. For vegetarians, who like the taste of milk; this might be a good alternative.

It is just like the faux meats. They are nice occasionally, but I recognize that are primarily marketed to people who are looking to reduce their meat consumption; not to vegans.

I'm up here in dairy country, and dairy farms are disappearing. The store dairy section is filled with dairy alternatives. Every time I go in, the dairy section is smaller, and the plant milk section is larger.

It is like the Just Egg. I lost the taste for eggs many decades ago, but I welcome the alternative for people who like eggs.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I'm not sure I would want such a product. I don't use cow's milk products for health reasons, as well as ethical ones.

It isn't milk. It is just another plant milk.

Ingredients

Water, Sunflower Oil, Pea Protein, Contains less than 2% of: Sugar, Pineapple Juice Concentrate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Gellan Gum, Acacia Gum, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Cabbage Juice Concentrate, Vitamin D2, Vitamin B12.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
Oh. I thought it was one of those products using lab grown milk proteins - like the ones from Perfect Day.

General Mills just came out with a cream cheese made with lab grown whey.

I just got some good news. Imperfect foods had stopped shipping to my area, so I had planned to make the 3 hour round trip to Madison to pick up a case.

I had been talking to the manager of my local health food store. She told me their supplier is the same as Whole Foods. She said they could get me any product in Whole Foods, except for their 365 branded foods.

I ordered a case of 6, got a 10% discount, which made it much cheaper than the price I had been paying, so I am pretty happy.

Since the sell by date is 6 weeks from now, I can easily finish them off.

I really wasn't looking forward to that drive.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC