Vegan keto diet for bodybuilding/gaining muscle mass?

Hetero Sapien

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
Anyone have any experience for keto diet specifically for bodybuilding? I need to be able to get all complete proteins, vitamins, etc. while keeping Keto. I honestly don't care about the taste (I lost most of my taste gradually but was basically gone by about 6 years ago), or if it looks weird or "isn't a breakfast/lunch/dinner item", etc. Just need to get everything I need. Any help/ideas is appreciated, or if there are any other threads on this (I searched using advanced search, couldn't find anything).

Good question! :) I've been able to make a vegan diet work for muscle building and strength gains (I am a competitive powerlifter). If you have questions with that I can help for sure. For the final cutting stages before a bodybuilding show would probably be the only time you need full keto. If you just want to pack on muscle and even cut some fat to the 12% range, you can do it with carbs.

What macros are you shooting for? Depending on where your carbs are at, you could use seitan and maybe certain types of soy meat to keep the protein up and carbs down. Seitan has 15g of protein per 2 oz, which is more than beef or chicken. It does have 7g of carbs, which is low, but if you only get 30 per day it would be tough. If you get 70 per day, you could make it work.

Good question! :) I've been able to make a vegan diet work for muscle building and strength gains (I am a competitive powerlifter). If you have questions with that I can help for sure. For the final cutting stages before a bodybuilding show would probably be the only time you need full keto. If you just want to pack on muscle and even cut some fat to the 12% range, you can do it with carbs.

What macros are you shooting for? Depending on where your carbs are at, you could use seitan and maybe certain types of soy meat to keep the protein up and carbs down. Seitan has 15g of protein per 2 oz, which is more than beef or chicken. It does have 7g of carbs, which is low, but if you only get 30 per day it would be tough. If you get 70 per day, you could make it work.
Thanks! :D Appreciate the help. Right now I'm about 12% body fat (I think? Not sure). Wanting to tone abs to be perfect (Kind of muddy right now), along with making gains. From what I've heard and researched about keto, I think it's perfect for what I need. Since the body can get rid of water/stored carb weight, burn the stored fat, and absorbs protein better or more instead of burning it (Since it will prefer fat/ketones to breaking down the protein for carbs anyways). I just feel that it's perfect for me lol. Idk, you've probably more experience than I do. Not necessarily looking to get huge or competitive level lifting, but I wanna make some gains and tone my abs a little further. And I checked out Seitan very interesting! :D May be able to use it, from what I've seen on google it's actually not that high in carbs. Currently what I'm looking for in macros in possible keto diet is: 3,000 calories overall per day, about 5% carbs (which is 37.5 grams, not including fibre of course), 25% protein, and 70% fats (definitely adjustable though, I'm no expert on this stuff lol).
So far I've been looking into nuts (from nutsinbulk) since they are cheaper and contain mostly fat/protein. So far cheapest nuts I've found are $2.45 a pound (peanuts), or peanut butter (with low saturated fat) but looking at different nuts to look at my options. Been trying to find out what amino acids/proteins peanuts contain but can't find any good sources lol. Still looking around. I want to have as diverse an amino acid profile as possible of course, and not rely on a single food for everything LOL.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. For your goals, I don't think you would have to run keto. Bodybuilders use keto for the last leg of their diets to hit 5-6% BF. Being 12% with abs and looking good wouldn't require such an extreme diet. It will be more about trying to recomp and slowly lose weight (like less than a # per week). I would try to hit these kinds of macros:

Protein- 1g per # of LBM
Carbs- everything else
Fat- .4g per # of LBM

Hit these up to your total calories.

For training, I would hit the compound lifts (squat, DL, bench, OHP, etc.) done correctly though. You can youtube proper form for these lifts. Get on a good program and eat right, and you will be there! :) Use the Navy Method (google this and do it online) to determine your starting BF.

Best of luck! :)

Reactions: Hetero Sapien