Vegan for 4 years and now I'm eating meat/dairy regularly.

appleofmyuterus

Neophyte
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
For four years I was vegan and I was the lightest I've ever been. I think slowly but surely, I'd order something like a salad or a wrap and if it has cheese on it, I wouldn't request it to be remade. I didn't want to be THAT person. But now, especially since Doordash and UberEats, I've been eating any and everything you can imagine. I've gained 125 pounds and my energy is horrible, I'm sick a lot, etc.
I'm transitioning AGAIN and it's gonna kick my booty. Wish me luck!

Emma JC

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
welcome @appleofmyuterus to the forum and I join with the others in sending you the strength to hold as firm as you can this time

Like I have said many times, this is a journey and one which many of us have started and then been waylaid and started again and been waylaid again and then one day it clicks and you don't turn back. Try to stick to whole foods as much as possible and limit the oils, salts and processed sugars. There are so many tasty things to eat and so many spices to make them even tastier.

All the best with the journey, we are here to support.

Emma JC

Forest Nymph

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Hi. Can I ask you what your original motivation was? Health? Animals? Environment? Or just weight loss?

I don't know you but if you make this commitment about something more than losing pounds it could make it easier to stick to.

Also, was your diet before satisfying? I'm curious as to why meat would be so tempting to you after four years. Did you eat balanced meals? Did you eat Beyond Burgers or Tofurky occasionally if you had a craving? Both things are important. Having healthy nutritous meals but also not letting yourself feel deprived like you're constantly "on a diet" can help. Being vegan isnt a diet or starvation plan, it's a whole lifestyle that allows for little mistakes but also treats, fun foods, and exploring different cuisine.

If you like Door Dash or Uber Eats and can afford that sort of thing, look around for plant-based Indian, Ethiopian and Middle Eastern food on delivery instead of animal products. Try vegan pizza or veggie pizza without cheese. Try Beyond or Impossible Burgers instead of meat.

Good luck to you. You can do this!

PTree15

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Welcome, and best of luck! I second what Emma said regarding this being a journey. Don't beat yourself up too much. The fact that you want to find your back is a good thing. Keep us posted!

Nekodaiden

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
For four years I was vegan and I was the lightest I've ever been. I think slowly but surely, I'd order something like a salad or a wrap and if it has cheese on it, I wouldn't request it to be remade. I didn't want to be THAT person. But now, especially since Doordash and UberEats, I've been eating any and everything you can imagine. I've gained 125 pounds and my energy is horrible, I'm sick a lot, etc.
I'm transitioning AGAIN and it's gonna kick my booty. Wish me luck!
Thanks for sharing. I think your story illustrates the danger of letting little/occasional indiscretions snowball into full blown omnivorism. That little bit of cheese, those eggs, maybe those holiday indulgences over several weeks - all of them require flesh eating bacteria to digest, and those bacteria can gradually take hold and demand more and more. That, and the mental gymnastics that accompanies this while still identifying as a vegan has to play on one's conscience as well.

Welcome back.

Poppy

Senior
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I didn't want to be THAT person.
Be THAT person! :) Be the person who speaks up for your values, for your health and for your spirit! Be the person who brings attention to the fact that no, not everyone wants cheese in a freaking salad or a veggie wrap. (Cheese should be an add-on not a take off!) Stand up for you and animals and health. And very best of luck!

Last edited:

PoppyBlue

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Good luck to you :) If you ate that way before, you can do it again! I ate like crap for 43 years and now after just eating plant based for 5 weeks I feel SO good and already lost 22 pounds! Sending you lots of good plant energy ♥

Andy_T

Little green mod
Staff member
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Good luck to you! I also need to lose a few kgs, and it is always easier to gain them than lose them again, unfortunately :eek: .

Happy to hear you are giving it another try, good success this time!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M US Vegan for over 2 years-Continuous stomach Problems Support 5
sunflower-girl 4 years vegan, diagnosed with endometriosis and craving eggs Health & Body 16
Whoa182 Hi all! :) 16 years mostly plant-based, over 7 years vegan Introduce Yourself 21
G Hi there, I'm new here too. I've been a vegan for five years. Introduce Yourself 7
G Vegan for five years and considering eggs Support 36
Vegan Dogs Vegan cats age 20 years old examples Animals 1
FredVegrox New here, and vegan more than 5 years Introduce Yourself 9
J Questioning veganism after being vegan for 3 years Support 20
digitalnature 25 years old/Vegan for 1 Year/Filmmaker Introduce Yourself 1
Indian Summer News Pure Aryan swastika-worshipper tribes, vegan for 5,000 years General 2
H vegan for life Introduce Yourself 3
David3 Usher switches to vegan diet General 1
Kirtisharma Looking for Vegan Perfume Products 1
H Nutrition & Diet Dr Greger/Stroke/Vegan Health & Body 4
Mork Best vegan Faux Meat brands? Food & Drink 16
Jaydoesitgood Social pressure to be the"Good Chill Vegan" Support 9
R Help-Wish to Be Vegan Again-Tempted by halloumi & goats cheese! Food & Drink 1
VeganForum Vegan For Life: Updated,Revised,Expanded & All-New Health & Body 5
R Benji and How to go Back to Vegan Without Being Hard on Myself Transitioning 4
Graeme M Vegan and Farmer Connections General 6
meib Online live vegan cooking classes Marketplace 0
Jaydoesitgood Anyone wanna make a vegan childrens book? Products 0
shyvas Vegan Food Brands that Sell Meat/Dairy Food & Drink 1
P New vegan-Need recipes & advice Pls Support 15
F US Vegan Animal Communicator Support 5
NYC Gardener Going from Veganish to Vegan Transitioning 27
K UK Vegan cosmetics and nutrition Marketplace 2
R What are the most realistic vegan cheeses? Food & Drink 28
Chris509 Funny- Many stories can have vegan facts in them Philosophy 2
A Non-vegans attacking me for my choice to be vegan Support 9
Anthony0123456 Why are You Vegan-Plant Based V Love of Animals? General 14