I'm losing weight, but wife is gaining weight?

thefoodcritic

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We are about 9 days in on our whole foods plant based diet. We've been vegetarian for 3 years now, but just over the last 9 days have we cut out oil, cheese, soft drinks, sugary drinks, processed food, and all dairy. We are eating every single meal whole food and plant based. We are both about 50 pounds overweight. A major reason why we are doing this is to lose weight and be healthy. Over the last 9 days, I have lost 9 pounds and my wife has gained 1 pound. What?!?!?!?! We are both so confused. We eat the same meals, she just eats a little less than I do. The only difference between my diet and hers is she drinks coffee 2-3 days. That can't be the single reason for this, can it? Please help if you have answers or dealt with something similar.

We are about 9 days in on our whole foods plant based diet. We've been vegetarian for 3 years now, but just over the last 9 days have we cut out oil, cheese, soft drinks, sugary drinks, processed food, and all dairy. We are eating every single meal whole food and plant based. We are both about 50 pounds overweight. A major reason why we are doing this is to lose weight and be healthy. Over the last 9 days, I have lost 9 pounds and my wife has gained 1 pound. What?!?!?!?! We are both so confused. We eat the same meals, she just eats a little less than I do. The only difference between my diet and hers is she drinks coffee 2-3 days. That can't be the single reason for this, can it? Please help if you have answers or dealt with something similar.

According to the United States non-profit Cleveland Clinic, it is more biologically-difficult for women to lose weight, compared to men: Why It Really Is Harder for Women to Lose Weight and What To Do!

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (cdc.gov) states that a slow, steady rate of weight loss (1 to 2 pounds per week) is healthy, and more likely to be sustained: Healthy Weight Loss

Reactions: HappyRoxy and Lou
We did the 5 day melon fast, I don't know why but I lost 10lbs and me wife only 3lbs, During the melon part I was losing 2lbs a day.

I was studying Kundalini Yoga at the time . . .

I had a bad reaction to papaya, like pineapple it's a digestive enzyme that should be eaten moderately, we went through 3 papayas.

Last edited by a moderator:
congrats @thefoodcritic for your decision to take control of your health

I would suggest that you need just a bit of patience and then you are going to be so happy and so will your wife.

Have you watched Krocks in the Kitchen on YouTube? They are a couple who have lost over 300 lbs between them so far and they are still going down. You may find some inspiration there to keep on keeping on.

You have made good choices by losing the oils and dairy and cheeses, just remember that nuts and avacados etc are also very high in fats so, at least for the first while, you may wish to limit or keep those higher fat items out of your food choices as well. Nut butters too.

You may wish to use an app like Cronometer to check your calories in calories out and fats/proteins/carb. For losing weight you may wish to keep the fats around 10-15% for a while. I am not a health professional so do always check with your doc or a whole food dietician.

Keep us up to date so we can cheer you on!

Emma JC

Reactions: BobaLou and Lou
We eat the same meals, she just eats a little less than I do.

This just seems too obvious. She should eat a little bit more less.

What are your daily calorie goals? She should decrease hers by another X%. You guys are probably going to need to use measuring cups in order to make sure her portions are smaller than yours. And if you haven't done so you probably need to buy a little kitchen scale.

A lot of people are opposed to calorie counting but in your case, I think its the next logical step.