When you eat a vegan hot dog, which do you prefer?

• A similar flavor to a meat hot dog

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coriscorndogs

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I'm attempting to create my own vegan corn dog to sell. So far it seems that the only success I would have in mass producing these hot dogs, is if I used a vegan casing. The catch is that the casing dissolves when cooked, and I need to cook the hot dog before dipping in the batter. Does anyone know of a vegan casing that doesn't do that? Does anyone on here make their own hot dogs?

Welcome to the forum.

With this seitan hot dog recipe I saw, they wrap the seitan hot dogs in tinfoil and steam them. Once cooked they will hold together just fine for frying, grilling, etc. You could try and adjust your recipe to include some seitan as a binder. That would hold them together better, and potentially give them a better texture. I found some vegan casings online with a quick google. I don't know what ones might cook off, but the foil option could work, perhaps. Good luck with your business!

Reactions: Lou
Welcome to the forum.

With this seitan hot dog recipe I saw, they wrap the seitan hot dogs in tinfoil and steam them. Once cooked they will hold together just fine for frying, grilling, etc. You could try and adjust your recipe to include some seitan as a binder. That would hold them together better, and potentially give them a better texture. I found some vegan casings online with a quick google. I don't know what ones might cook off, but the foil option could work, perhaps. Good luck with your business!

Thanks for your response! I've tried the foil technique and it definitely works. Unfortunately it isn't efficient enough for mass production. I did find some vegan casings, but they all seemed the same, where they would dissolve when cooked. So I wondered if anyone had a secret!