Vegan Collagen Booster/supplement

Niknakpadiwak

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I transitioned to a plant based life style about 2 weeks ago and I'm currently in the process of selecting supplements that are vegan. A snag that I hit today, is finding a collagen supplement. I've read a few articles stating that it is impossible to create a vegan collagen, and other articles that say the opposite. I'm lost lol.

Are there any vegan collagen supplements out that that really work?

I found something called Organic and Vegan Collagen-boosting Powder. Has anyone taken this before?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Collagen is an animal protein, I don't think there are any plant sources of it. But all proteins get broken down...consuming collagen doesn't give you collagen, it gives you the amino acids from which your body might create collagen or many other proteins. Vegan collagen supplements probably just have the amino acids in the ratios needed.

I haven't researched collagen specifically but I'm skeptical there's any benefit over consuming whole foods with adequate amounts of each essential amino acid.

I found this.

Currently, actual vegan collagen is hard to come by. Most companies sell “collagen boosters” as supplements.​
These boosters contain various vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C and zinc that the body needs to make collagen.​
Some may also include plant extracts and herbs that are also found to help stimulate collagen production.​
You can add these vitamins and minerals through your diet, instead of a supplement, to help you meet your amino acids needs. The most abundant amino acids in collagen are glycine, lysine, and proline.​
Plant-based foods high in all three amino acids include:​
  • soy products: tempeh, tofu, and soy protein
    • black beans
    • kidney beans
    • many other legumes
    • seeds: especially pumpkin, squash, sunflower, and chia
    • nuts: pistachio, peanut, and cashew
Another way to get the benefits of collagen as a vegan is to take individual amino acid supplements. These are what many vegan-friendly companies sell instead of pure collagen supplements.​
Vegan collagen options:
True vegan collagen is still a ways coming, but like the Impossible burger, we have a feeling it’s going to roll out in stores near us, faster than we think.​

Revisiting this thread due to my brown recluse bite that's healing slowly. Actually, it was slightly bigger last time it was measured but the doc said there was new skin growth so hopefully that means the tide is turning.

I thought I might benefit from a supplement but after some reading I think I'm getting everything I need from my diet already.

My doctor gave me a thin material to put over my wound, which upon research is a kind of collagen scaffolding ("dermal template") harvested from cow's stomachs 😕 I wish I'd known so I could ask about vegan alternatives. Turns out I could have gotten something equivalent but originating from cadavers or foreskins 😆

Anyway here's a veg-heavy list of food to eat for collagen production:

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15