Vegan christmas dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I was quite pleased that my local co-op had reduced the prices of the new Tofurky "Holiday Ham" (other wise known as Vegetarian Ham Roast) from $14-15 dollars down to a mere $9.99 and offered a coupon for .50c off any Tofurky brand item. So I paid less than 10 dollars for my first vegan "ham", leaving extra money for fresh rosemary sprigs and a green apple for making this recipe:

I watched Vegan Zombie's video around American Thanksgiving, but had already obtained two of the original Tofurky Roast for Thanksgiving...and back then the "ham" was still nearly five dollars more expensive than the traditional vegan roast at my local co-op. I vowed to make this recipe for Christmas, and now I will!

I'm also going to veganize traditional stuffing mix with Earth Balance, veg broth, celery and onion, and add a side of broccoli.

What do you have planned for Christmas dinner?

P.S. I'm loving the snowflakes on the forum, so cheery and festive!

Reactions: kelli
I'm planning on making the ham roast. I have to pick it up after work. I also wanted to make stuffing with it. I had the best stuffing in my life at whole foods the other day. They made it with beluga lentils and it was so good. Will also have mashed potatoes with gravy and rolls. I want to make green bean casserole as well but not really sure yet.

I'm planning on making the ham roast. I have to pick it up after work. I also wanted to make stuffing with it. I had the best stuffing in my life at whole foods the other day. They made it with beluga lentils and it was so good. Will also have mashed potatoes with gravy and rolls. I want to make green bean casserole as well but not really sure yet.

Interesting! Beluga lentils! I'll have to look into this...I love green bean casserole, a vegan friend of mine made some at Thanksgiving, but that would be more ingredients I would have to buy lol.

The Tofurky ham hasn't reached these shores, yet, AFAIK, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. We (my GD and I) are having the tofurkey roast tomorrow, for our Xmas dinner. I'm also making homemade haggis wrapped in seitan inside a bread crust for our other meals over the holidays. My omnivore son has been nibbling the haggis and pronounced it 'gorgeous'!

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Im already set to have a Tofurky holiday vegan ham with rosemary and apples like I had two years ago. The store was flat sold out of the regular roasts and also cranberry Field Roast (I have yet to try it even after years of eating holiday roasts, I started as a vegetarian eating Trader Joe's).

Im fine with that. It's a tad more expensive but includes the marinade and has a different flavor.

Reactions: Qwaychou and KLS52
I will make either chickpea cutlets or some sort of seitan loaf and gravy. I've never tried the Tofurky holiday roast because it's so pricey. For veggies, I want turnips, mashed potatoes, roasted carrots, steamed green beans and cranberry sauce.

I will make either chickpea cutlets or some sort of seitan loaf and gravy. I've never tried the Tofurky holiday roast because it's so pricey. For veggies, I want turnips, mashed potatoes, roasted carrots, steamed green beans and cranberry sauce.

No nut roast ? :D

Hmm, yes. I will have to check their prices. Do you use cashews? I'll have to make one soon to give it a test run.

I buy a bag of mixed nuts from Lidl's for approx. € 2.20. It contains, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews and Brazil nuts, walnuts and pecan nuts.. There is a recipe on VV (Christmas 2018) and honestly, you can't go wrong if you follow the instructions. It tastes far better than a seitan roast. 😉

I watched Gaz, from AvantGardVegan do some very interesting Xmas roasts over the last couple years. Some of his recipes are a bit complex, as in finding all the ingredients, but his food looks amazing. I think I might try one of his recipes for Christmas this year. I have only a few people, maybe 6 in total coming, and all of them will be fine with a plant-based dinner, so I am inspired to please. I want to do more than please...I want to impress my non-vegan family and friends. Check out his video, it's well worth the time. I'm not sure which one I will try yet.

Previous years I've gone with Gardein turkey roll, but that's boring to me now. It would however impress my meat-eating family. I'd just rather do something homemade this year. Something that looks as good as it tastes.

I watched Gaz, from AvantGardVegan do some very interesting Xmas roasts over the last couple years. Some of his recipes are a bit complex, as in finding all the ingredients, but his food looks amazing. I think I might try one of his recipes for Christmas this year. I have only a few people, maybe 6 in total coming, and all of them will be fine with a plant-based dinner, so I am inspired to please. I want to do more than please...I want to impress my non-vegan family and friends. Check out his video, it's well worth the time. I'm not sure which one I will try yet.

Previous years I've gone with Gardein turkey roll, but that's boring to me now. It would however impress my meat-eating family. I'd just rather do something homemade this year. Something that looks as good as it tastes.

I haven't watched that video yet, is it a good one?

Emma JC

• Agree
Reactions: Veganite

That looks like a cake!

@Emma JC

Yes, watch it...you won't regret it! Subscribe to his channel. You won't regret that either. Even if you don't make any of his recipes, he is fun to watch, and very passionate about vegan cuisine, and veganism, overall.

@Forest Nymph

It looks tasty to me :p

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
he is fun to watch, and very passionate about vegan cuisine, and veganism, overall.
He’s adorable and I love his voice/accent. His food looks good but he uses too many spices for my taste. Sadly, I have an aversion to sage, rosemary, thyme. I’m more of a salt, pepper, onion, garlic kind of person. Although I do make a delicious Thai vegetable curry that’s amazing. Totally out of character for me. Maybe it’s the green herbs that I don’t like because I don’t do basil or parsley either. Lol. I like the idea of the cranberries and apricots in the nut roast but not the cinnamon. So there will be some tweaking of the recipe involved when I make my next nut loaf.
Oh...and I love that he put chestnuts in there. I wanted to do that for the roast I made for thanksgiving but I didn’t plan ahead. I looked for some already cooked and peeled but they wanted $17 for a small jar! No way!

@Emma JC

Yes, watch it...you won't regret it! Subscribe to his channel. You won't regret that either. Even if you don't make any of his recipes, he is fun to watch, and very passionate about vegan cuisine, and veganism, overall.

@Forest Nymph

It looks tasty to me :p

I did watch it and it looks great. I would consider making it but that is a lot of nuts and sugar (dried fruits) and I am not sure I could discipline myself to having just one slice, more likely would eat half.

I do watch him regularly and enjoy him a lot more since he stopped making such complicated items.

Emma JC

Reactions: Veganite and KLS52
I just eat what I usually. Not a fan of xmas. Those videos look great though.

Reactions: KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.