Vegan But Not Dairy Free?

In the world we live in these days, with the pandemic and all, we should strive to be kinder to one another. To me it's sad that we have to debate what terms, philosophies, religion (joking) fit into the word veganism. Some vegans feel it is your duty to actively protest, where others might not feel obligated. Where are the vegan police when you need them?

"What a diverse bunch vegans are", wouldn't you all agree with that statement?

I think it's safe to say on a diverse forum like this, that many of us are vegan for different reasons. The truth is we might not all fit into each other's views on veganism. That is a fact.

I think it is fair to say that this type of genetic engineering might completely gross out one person (vegan/vegetarian), where another might not feel the same way. Another vegan might find this acceptable because, it fits within their own philosophies and take on veganism. Personally, I'm not one of them, but that's my take on it.

• Agree
Reactions: Val and Lou
Yes ... But if everyone decides for themselves without any commonly accepted standards/certification schemes, then I'm worried we'll be back to the bad, old days when you have to scrutinize ingredient lists on every item you buy in the grocery shop, maybe having to write letters to the manufacturers, asking to talk to the chef about details when ordering in restaurants and so on.

If lab-produced animal products become common, we'll need a shift in terminology.

• Agree
Reactions: Val and Lou
I'm worried we'll be back to the bad, old days when you have to scrutinize ingredient lists on every item you buy in the grocery shop, maybe having to write letters to the manufacturers, asking to talk to the chef about details when ordering in restaurants and so on.

Wait! when did the "bad, old days" end?!
Maybe it's different where you live but I still have to check the ingredients.
I don't have to check them as much because I tend to buy the same products over and over again. but then I remember one day discovering that the hamburger rolls I had relied on for years weren't vegan anymore (or maybe they never were and I got mixed up - but that was a lesson I learned - you got to check the ingredients)

Sometimes I forget which food colorings are vegan or maybe some other minor ingredient. If I'm not in a rush I'll check my app IsItVegan. If i am in rush I'll just not buy it. I also don't care so much about some of the minor ingredients (or details).

Maybe the bad old days of writing to the manufacture have ended. You can just google your question about the ingredients. Most likely someone has already posted the answer.

I've never had an issue with asking the chef. Although I never eat out anymore (thanks corona). But i'm not that fussy or "perfect" anymore either. Bread seems to be the main bugaboo. unless it's french or Sour dough I just assume it's not vegan.

Anyway, we degrees.

The first thing I said in the first post of this thread is that we may need a new label. And I don't see how that is even remotely a bad thing. Every year hundreds of new words are invented and added to the dictionary. Adapt. Change. Or move on.

Yeppers. if you are in the dairy aisle you will have to more cautious with what you buy. But if I remember right these products are not listed as Non-Dairy. And for most of us vegans that IS the first thing we look for when we are in the dairy aisle.

For health reasons I'll never buy these things on a regular basis. But just like most other new vegan products - I'll give it a try.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
When i say that everyone decides for himself,- it's not about good or bad side of this alleged "freedom of choice" (which doesn't exist, sadly). It's about the fact that our society is based on chaos and disobedience to the laws of nature. Humankind has gone the wrong way from the very beginning (in the wrong direction), and the only possible exodus is declination and self-extinction. While everyone has a different opinion on crucilal life&death matters (like non-violence, climate change, human health, etc.),- humankind isn't going anywhere. So i just point at the fact that there is no truth that will suit everyone (therefore this human disagreement and fuss is doing only harm to the planet), and this is the main requirement for the doomsday quick approach.
I hope the way i feel isn't offensive to the way you feel. :hug:

I agree with you. As someone with a background in enviro science I've accepted the very real problem of animal agriculture and climate change, but also the limits of veganism. If there are people in our culture who are so selfish, so willfully ignorant, so (filling in the blank) that they won't even wear a COVID mask to protect their fellow citizens, they're not ever going to go vegan. It's just delusional to presume a culture of self-serving corporate capitalists are all just going to do what is right. For anyone. It's not going to happen.

So for them, gross lab grown animal products. It vastly reduces animal cruelty as well as the environmental damage that needs to be addressed RIGHT NOW.

Same for vegetarians - there actually ARE scenarios where eating local dairy or backyard eggs is more sustainable than being vegan. I'm not going to **** myself over the local no-kill goat farms or hippies with loved backyard chickens. Those people are incredibly low-waste and low carbon footprint. In some cultures or situations, being totally vegan isn't even a viable option because of lack of access to a wider variety of foods. If someone eats an egg a few times a week because they'd be malnourished otherwise, I'm not going to scream about this, since also in those scenarios there is NEVER a factory farm involved.

Wait! when did the "bad, old days" end?!

Sometimes I forget which food colorings are vegan or maybe some other minor ingredient. If I'm not in a rush I'll check my app IsItVegan. If i am in rush I'll just not buy it. I also don't care so much about some of the minor ingredients (or details).

E120 = cochineal (crushed beetles) is the one to avoid. However, I believe that food colourings in the US may be tested on animals. Another reason why not to buy too much junk food.

I usually buy all my food colouring (natural) from Sainsbury's and Lakeland. They use natural plant based products such as beetroot, paprika, curcuma and spirulana to obtain the colours.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
E120 = cochineal (crushed beetles) is the one to avoid. However, I believe that food colourings in the US may be tested on animals. Another reason why not to buy too much junk food.

I usually buy all my food colouring (natural) from Sainsbury's and Lakeland. They use natural plant based products such as beetroot, paprika, curcuma and spirulana to obtain the colours.

I don't buy bottles of food colorings. but lots of products do contain food colorings. Sometimes, especially when buying some new or different I will check the labels for red dye. Even the vegan ones aren't appetizing.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I don't buy bottles of food colorings. but lots of products do contain food colorings. Sometimes, especially when buying some new or different I will check the labels for red dye. Even the vegan ones aren't appetizing.
AKA--carmine. Trader Joes is really bad for adding stupid things to otherwise vegan products

Confectioners glaze is my biggest peeve- they add it to all kinds of their candy and chocolate. I even randomly picked up cocoa nibs, which are usually nothing but pieces of dried cocoa beans, and they were coated with the glaze--which is the lacquer of lac beetles! It sounds so innocent too, I told someone about it once and they then assumed confectioners sugar also wasn't vegan! (other then possible bone char of course)

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC
AKA--carmine. Trader Joes is really bad for adding stupid things to otherwise vegan products

Confectioners glaze is my biggest peeve- they add it to all kinds of their candy and chocolate. I even randomly picked up cocoa nibs, which are usually nothing but pieces of dried cocoa beans, and they were coated with the glaze--which is the lacquer of lac beetles! It sounds so innocent too, I told someone about it once and they then assumed confectioners sugar also wasn't vegan! (other then possible bone char of course)

Seems like its candy and soda that are the things to watch out for. Maybe another reason to not eat candy or drink soda.

My taste buds are still screwed up and even water tastes kind of bad. For some reason some sodas taste good - even the sugar free ones. You have to be careful of sodas because many of them contain food colorings.

I am pretty sure that root beer is vegan. And surprisingly, so is Dr. Pepper. Zevia and Hansens are safe bets, too.

I have cut out beer from my diet and have been using root beer as a replacement. I tried ginger beer but I don't like any of the ones I've tried. So far they are just too spicy.

i bought a six pack of nonalcoholic beer. I've never had it before. but i am going to be watching the 49ers on TV - all by myself - and felt I needed some kind of treat.

OK!
Moving this thread back on track (belatedly), the company Perfect Day which make the aforementioned Vegan but not Dairy-Free products has Leonardo Dicaprio joining their advisory council.
also it seems like they are going with the label "Animal Free".

He posted a picture stating: “If every person in the US replaced just one beef burger per week with a plant-based Beyond Burger. It would be the equivalent of taking 12 million cars off the road.”​
Moreover, the star captioned the post: “Every single person can help the planet and reduce climate change with one small choice every week.​
“Join me and Beyond Meat in our mission to rethink the future of food.”​

So now he should start making statements based on eschewing conventional dairy with animal-free dairy.

Reactions: Vegan Dogs and Sax